Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot (See release thread)  (Read 10457 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

In the early days of M3 the Underhive settlement mod was hugely popular, sadly time has not been kind to it, as the enginseer maintaining it was called to other duties by the grace of the Omnissiah.

I have been working to change that.

+Thought for the day: Blessed is the bug reporter.+

See release thread for download of stable version.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:40:31 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot (Maybe...)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 03:37:39 pm »

Nice to see this. I myself am making a gorkamorka mod (will make a thread for that eventually). What are you using as source material, if anything?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 08:42:16 am »

I'm excited to see what both of you create!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 11:22:54 am »

What are you using as source material, if anything?

The old mod, and what little I know about necromunda. I recently got 300+ 40K books, so I am on something of a 40K kick right now...

Currently I am mostly done "everything" except the creatures (porting creatures from 34.11 is a PITA for me), plants (fairly easy), entities (easy), items (very easy), and industries (reactions and buildings, very hard because I am totally replacing all the hard coded vanilla stuff). All in all I am about 1/4 the way done... I figure I'll have something playable in a week or so :)
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 04:00:49 pm »

I recently got 300+ 40K books, so I am on something of a 40K kick right now...
paper or ebook? Asking because of... non-illegal things.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 01:08:36 pm »

This sounds brilliant. Look forward to seeing what you produce.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 10:52:14 am »

eBook of course :P I wouldn't have room for my library if it was any other way... Currently my poor abused kindle has ~2000 books on it (a small fraction of my total library). Reading is one of my major pastimes...

I read a few of the books set in necromunda on sunday, but didn't find much that would go well in the mod. Oh well, every little bit helps...

Currently I am bogged down in "the creature mire", a nasty swamp made of a mix of changes from 34.11 and my dislike of creature modding. Just to make things perfect I also need to do a bunch of work on each one to standardize them (same layout, correct Rubble templates, replacing trivial BDPs with standard BDPs with local modifications, etc).

Once the creatures are done (I am currently about 1/3 of the way) I need to do items and entities, then on to the fun part! Industries.

I love industry modding, and this time I have some powerful tools on my side, in particular my reaction generation system (the one I wrote for First Landing) and my awesome new building editor (which can be found in the utilities subforum). I plant to replace every single hardcoded building/reaction. Every. Single. One. (well, except maybe the butcher's shop and quern/millstone). I already have most of the DFHack code I need for this, so it's not as farfetched as you may think!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 11:35:37 am »

Would replacing all workshops be appropriate to the theme, though? Remember that you're making an underhive gang, and crude non-automated workshops fit in.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 11:58:55 am »

Yes, they will fit the theme. The current workshops are low fantasy, the new ones will be the mix of ancient tech and crude expediency that is 40K, but with less tech... If that makes any sense? For example the old mod had plasma furnaces and lathes as sort-of "tier two" furnace and forge replacements. They required expensive items that were hard to get, but they did not require fuel.

My previous flagship mod (First Landing) had some workshops that needed parts you could not make (you needed to trade for them). I will probably do something similar here, either requiring you to trade for rare parts, or making them rare salvage that requires considerable effort to repair.

Mechanical power doesn't really fit 40K, so I will most likely require advanced workshops to use some kind of power unit fueled by imported (or manufactured at great expense and effort) "fuel rods". After all that is more-or-less what the old mod did...

If you look at the old mod it already replaced certain industries with versions that were more thematic, but with the help of some of my DFHack magic I can do a more thorough job of it.

For example: Item melting will be radically different. Some metal items will not be meltable (you can mark them for melting all you want, they will be spit out unchanged). This will prevent you from taking certain "reward items" (that you get from killing mega beasts or as extreamly rare salvage returns) and melting them for their incomparable materials. The old mod could not remove/replace item melting because it was hardcoded into the furnace, and you cannot prevent the player from building a furnace. Since then I have discovered a way to do just that, so I can make something much more "40k" and less "DF".

Does anyone know how to replace vanilla gods? I know there is a script to add new ones, but is there a way to delete the old ones during world gen so you can force everyone to worship the Emperor or one of the chaos gods?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 12:09:43 pm »

My previous flagship mod (First Landing) had some workshops that needed parts you could not make (you needed to trade for them). I will probably do something similar here, either requiring you to trade for rare parts, or making them rare salvage that requires considerable effort to repair.
I'd say salvage fits the theme better.

Does anyone know how to replace vanilla gods? I know there is a script to add new ones, but is there a way to delete the old ones during world gen so you can force everyone to worship the Emperor or one of the chaos gods?
Can't you just not add religion tokens to the entities? I'm pretty sure each and every god is linked to a civilization.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 12:52:35 pm »

Can't you just not add religion tokens to the entities? I'm pretty sure each and every god is linked to a civilization.

Hmm... That might work. I'll see what happens when I get that far.

Salvage for "high" tech stuff is probably what I'll do. Once again I'll see how things are shaping up when I get that far.

Hopefully I get out of creature hell soon, things will get more interesting then :)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 01:07:34 pm »

OK! Finally out of creature hell, now on to the items!

Lucky me, most of the items from the old mod will work fine, so this step is mostly just reorganizing stuff into a sensible setup (I prefer to group armor into "sets" instead of by type, so all armor in one file, clothing in another instead of all boots in one, pants in another).

I took some time to write a general TODO list for industries. Provided I didn't forget anything (I'm sure I did) it will actually be less work than I originally thought :)

I got far less done than I would like due to new games... sigh. Anyway, while creatures are "done" some are more done than others. Most of them are quick minimal ports. A few are extensively templated, neatly organized, easy to read and edit. After I have a working version I need to go back and clean up all the creatures to the same standard.

Before I can post a test version I need to push a new Rubble version, as I created a new "creature helper" addon to simplify creature editing. The new addon really helps! In particular gaits are now trivial, you just type "{@CH_GAITS_BIPED;40;12;6;6;-}" and it gives you a duplicate of the dwarf gaits. In the same vein "{@CH_SPIT_N_TEARS}" gives you spit, tears, and sweat, all in one neat little package. The templates posted here are just the beginning, if you use the full set you can reduce several pages of creature raws to less than one! If it wasn't for Rubble this project would take twice as long.

EDIT: I didn't mention this before, but the provided worldgen profiles will limit the world to a single cavern layer, and no magma sea. There will still be ways to get industrial quantities of magma, but not for free :) There will also not be an underworld or adamantine. Evil and good biomes will not be generated either. All the evil content will be merged into the normal biomes (enjoy!). The result of these changes will be a shallower world, with nasty stuff everywhere. There will be no escape, no easy biomes, in the grim, dark, future of man, there is only danger :P
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:12:35 pm by milo christiansen »

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 09:12:42 pm »

Really excited for this!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 12:00:33 pm »

Well, you will have to stay excited for at least a week...

I am almost done with the intelligent races and items. Just a few more bits and pieces and it's on to entities, and finally, industries!

ARK: Survival Evolved and Morroblivion are still doing their best to slow down progress, but I shall resist temptation and persevere! Emperor give me strength!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot (Slowly but surely...)
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 11:20:26 pm »

As far as religion goes, the old mod made use of saints in place of gods. It was close enough, since it can be assumed everyone worships the emperor by default and simply venerate saints they're aware of on the side.

Always thought it was a shame Suds went poof on us, so I'm glad someone is taking a whack at this with actual scripting skills.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5