Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Legacy - Life among the ruins  (Read 7785 times)

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy - Life among the ruins
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2016, 09:06:08 pm »

Sorry about the wait, I completely forgot to hit the Notify button.

Merchants are fine; I'll look through the sheets and post one in a bit.

EDIT: Sheets.

Spoiler: The Golden Company (click to show/hide)

I'll put more backstory info in later.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:02:04 am by DontBanTheMan »
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2016, 12:03:49 pm »

Here's a Character Sheet for THE SERVANTS OF THE ONE TRUE FAITH Family Sheet.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2016, 02:40:26 pm »

You can provide a detailed backstory or leave it short, we can develop such things while playing.

I can give a more detailed go over of the fall later, but for now, based on what has been going around, it looks like as the ship made final approach overlord AGIs and rebel AGIs fought over the humans, with some humans rebelling as well.  Terrible weapons of metal and flesh were created by both sides, and then someone activated the fusion drive to full power, then to detonate.  The ship was set to a crash landing on the largest continent.  Some got to escape pods, some were lucky enough to be in reinforce areas.  And then it all ended.

Almost no humans knew how the wonder of technology really worked, and far too many AIs were highly specialized, so much of the knowledge was lost.

Any other ideas for the fall?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2016, 02:41:13 pm »

I will work on character sheets tomorrow if you still need them.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2016, 03:49:20 pm »

What if the Anti-Technology Cults weren't one unified Religion? For example, The Children Of Terra would be much more inclined towards protecting nature from Technology's "demonic" taint and healing the sick, whereas The Harbingers Of The Cleansing Flame would be more concerned with destroying the remnants of Technology and those who want to rebuild, and so on.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2016, 04:04:06 pm »

What if the Anti-Technology Cults weren't one unified Religion? For example, The Children Of Terra would be much more inclined towards protecting nature from Technology's "demonic" taint and healing the sick, whereas The Harbingers Of The Cleansing Flame would be more concerned with destroying the remnants of Technology and those who want to rebuild, and so on.

+1, division = more chaos and more chaos means more fun and more opportunities.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2016, 04:05:30 pm »

And there would be divisions and theological conflict between members of the same Religions with different opinions or beliefs.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2016, 04:11:48 pm »

And there would be divisions and theological conflict between members of the same Religions with different opinions or beliefs.

Sounds gud. So like a religion whose goal is to protect nature will have different factions in the religion, one faction might be supportive of trying to eradicate all things that affect nature negatively while another faction in the same religion might be supportive of taking a milder approach like negotiation/threats? The religious leader may be overthrown by other factions in his religion if his belief is in the minority?

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2016, 04:12:47 pm »

Sounds gud. So like a religion whose goal is to protect nature will have different factions in the religion, one faction might be supportive of trying to eradicate all things that affect nature negatively while another faction in the same religion might be supportive of taking a milder approach like negotiation/threats? The religious leader may be overthrown by other factions in his religion if his belief is in the minority?

Exactly.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2016, 08:51:19 pm »

I can give a more detailed go over of the fall later, but for now, based on what has been going around, it looks like as the ship made final approach overlord AGIs and rebel AGIs fought over the humans, with some humans rebelling as well.
Hm...I'm not sure if there would be such a thing as rebel AGIs. There has to be a reason for them to rebel, and I don't see them going against the overseers. I suppose if we assume humanity has been rendered so docile and pacified by the AGIs that you may need an "external factor" to serve as the initial catalyst, but then why them rebelling? Hm...

Only if we can increase the population of survivors to a degree where the chaos makes sense and the factions aren't worried more about day-to-day survival and unity. According to VoidSlayer:
Looks good for now, feel free to change as needed until we begin.  We will begin less then two generations after the fall.  There will be maybe ten settlements of 50-200 souls each in the "local area" and the families may have 15-75 people.
The "local area" therefore has a population range between 500 to 2000 people. We should probably aim for the higher-end of that range...maybe ~1500?

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2016, 09:52:22 pm »

To help me (and the GM) understand how these AGI works, here is some pseudocode. I'm not writing out the code for it, but could think about simulating it...

EDIT: Er, due to other projects I may have in mind, I'm going to have to pull out of this game. I'm fine with anyone taking my Family/Character, but if no one does, it's okay for them to be placed as NPCs.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:34:14 pm by Skynet »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2016, 03:31:26 am »

To help me (and the GM) understand how these AGI works, here is some pseudocode. I'm not writing out the code for it, but could think about simulating it...

EDIT: Er, due to other projects I may have in mind, I'm going to have to pull out of this game. I'm fine with anyone taking my Family/Character, but if no one does, it's okay for them to be placed as NPCs.

No problem, thanks for the interest and ideas.  NPC factions and characters work mechanically diffrent then players, but I will use the faction for sure either way.

Thank skynet everyone for MC controlled human sympathizers to the AI menace!

If anyone else wants to join as the lawgivers or whoever I will leave the slot open until we are more done.

The idea behind having opposing AGIs would be ambiguity in not knowing what the motives are for any particular computer intelligence that is met.  These things should be complicated enough that evolving priorities and ethical outlooks should be easy for them.  Only a few AGIs will have survived intact on both sides, fewer actually operating, and none(for now) of the overlord intelligences. 

Looking at Skynet's idea for some of the AGIs, we could have many programs downloaded for safekeeping in robot bodies, long overdue to be recycled, mucking about in a world they were not designed for. 

Lots of malfunctioning robots.  Excellent.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2016, 04:10:55 am »

Also, I will be glad to add lots of chaotic factions as they are possible.  After all if you rubhave three humans together you already have three possible factions able to exclude someone else.

So map features, I am going with a coast of some kind, mostly grassland and jungle, small desert, some wasteland/burned land from the fall, very large, very dangerous chunk of ship, lots of scattered debris and such.  Some regular mountains I guess?  Any other terrain features for the local area?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2016, 04:30:12 am »

maybe ponds of spilled chemicals from the shio?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2016, 04:36:11 am »

maybe ponds of spilled chemicals from the shio?

Lakes of sentient nano paste, got it.

I mean, "normal chemicals", got it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5