Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Legacy - Life among the ruins  (Read 7783 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy - Life among the ruins
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2016, 12:51:31 am »

Looks good for now, feel free to change as needed until we begin.  We will begin less then two generations after the fall.  There will be maybe ten settlements of 50-200 souls each in the "local area" and the families may have 15-75 people.  Wer will make up the settlements but most will be rather ad-hock combinations of jury rigged what works, primitive make shift and still functional tech. 

Wooden walls protecting a life pod with still functioning life support, a tent encampment surrounding a  mobile hydroponics pod, jagged blades of space age metals strapped together into primitive spears.  So bronze age(?) with dashes of Futuristic Technology but we can figure that out.  What is lost or saved might depend on your actions!

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2016, 01:33:42 am »

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:21:56 am by Skynet »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2016, 05:46:46 am »

Yes, I personally would prefer mostly low tech weaponry.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is this alright?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:31:22 am by vishdafish »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 12:06:29 pm »

Every family gets every basic move.  You need to choose two moves out of the ones listed in your playbook.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2016, 12:35:57 pm »

Edited my post, made a few minor changes as well.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2016, 07:27:13 am »

Edited my post as well. I suppose we wait either for DontBanTheMan to submit a character sheet, or we place the Merchants into NPC status. Anything else we need to do (other than, I guess, choosing Character Playbooks)?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2016, 08:16:13 am »

This is going to be interesting to watch. I hope you develop the AI's, as it would be very interesting how Ai's 'living' for centuries would work.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2016, 08:25:18 am »

Well, since I know a little programming, I could write up a Ruby script to simulate how all these AIs behave, and then use that script to decide my (own) actions...

Of course, the problem would be trying to write up a script that could handle any arbitrary input, unless we assume that the AI still have programmers who are able to add more code to the AI in question (self-modifying code tends to be considered rather problematic in the real world, and I'm assuming that this stigma could still exist at the start of The Reckoning). Should this script be open-source?

A major problem I have with AI in science fiction is that they tend to treat AIs as being "just like" humans, when in fact AIs are nothing like them. Simulating the behavior of these AIs would help alleviate this sort of problem.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2016, 08:29:15 am »

How about smaller programmer AI's that add code to the main AI, but these smaller AI's have an algorithm which decides whether adding that code is a good idea or not.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2016, 08:35:13 am »

If we cant find another player, perhaps the Gilded Company should be GM controlled (after all it is a lot more fun playing while GMing).

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2016, 06:15:20 pm »

If we cant find another player, perhaps the Gilded Company should be GM controlled (after all it is a lot more fun playing while GMing).
I'd rather have the Gilded Company be an NPC. If the GM plays in the game, there's an obvious conflict-of-interest problem.

I'd also like to know if there's an option to temporarily leave the game, thereby having your Family/Character enter NPC mode for a while (or be taken over by a replacement).

How about smaller programmer AI's that add code to the main AI, but these smaller AI's have an algorithm which decides whether adding that code is a good idea or not.
That could work, though then you have to think how those smaller programmer AIs are built.
---
I just realized that my Family's lore (lone vigilantes that sometimes call on other people for help, and maybe hold regular meetings) make it seem like a Superhero team a la Justice League. Or, more accurately, an Nineties Anti-Heroes team. I'm half-tempted to play as an actual suprehero/supervillian, but I think that'll probably distract from other themes that this game could explore.

Spoiler: Jack Napier, The Elder (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:22:03 pm by Skynet »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2016, 06:19:02 pm »

Where is the character sheet template?  :D

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2016, 06:32:30 pm »

It's in the PDFs, though I guess someone can copy and paste it in this thread later. I'd say download it anyway, since the pictures are nice, and there's a lot of material to help you be able to think more about the setting.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2016, 06:34:51 pm »

Ok, thanks bro   ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:03:36 pm by vishdafish »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2016, 03:44:30 am »

Quote from: Skynet link=topic=159258.msg7106677#msg7106677 date=1469402120

[quote author=Gwolfski link=topic=159258.msg7106027#msg7106027 date=1469366955
That could work, though then you have to think how those smaller programmer AIs are built.
---

[/quote]

They would be several, they could code each other. Or they have immesne programming knowledge and human-defined what is good and bad. Of course, this could be corrupted...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5