Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Legacy - Life among the ruins  (Read 7800 times)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy - Life among the ruins
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 08:56:18 pm »

I can only imagine the shock of the survivors when they meet the "completely safe and harmless" life forms.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 09:32:54 pm »

The moon idea sounds pretty good, although it would limit the options you could do in the game. Night raids would be impossible, and humans would excel slightly too much in a brighter environment (guns are far easier to aim in a bright night, and humans wont have to pay as much caution when they sleep/camp cos its far easier to see potential threats. Although very perceptive and intelligent predators would try to keep out of sight, I can't think of a feasible way that animals could ambush humans in a bright night, unless they are in a densely forested area.)

As for life on the planet before the ship landed, I think it would make the game a LOT more exciting and challenging, if they have to face native threats and stuff.

Right, right... But I think the double moon idea is very interesting, although bright nights would limit things somewhat... What if the moons had separate cycles that occasionally intersected? For example, one moon might be a crescent while the other is at a new moon, and their cycles are at different speeds, and when both moons are full it's an extremely rare, once or twice a lifetime event? The moons don't necessarily have to be as large as our moon, maybe they're smaller and only provide as much light as our moon normally... I don't know, but I think it's an interesting concept all the same. What if the day/night cycle wasn't just 24 hours like it is on Earth?

What if some of the debris from The Vessel still orbits just above Orius Major's atmosphere, and is visible to Survivors on the surface? Sort of like a high-tech Asteroid Field, maybe with a few barely functional, possibly insane AIs operating it's shattered systems. Maybe they're delusional, believe that they are Gods and send Mechanical "Angels" Planet-side to perform "Miracles" to convert the ignorant Populace to their worship, and hate each other, with the only thing keeping them in check is mutually assured destruction if one directly interferes with the "Mortals". That's an interesting idea. Perhaps they compete with Anti-Technology Human Religions, Cults worshiping the Ancients as Gods, and Nature obsessed, (sun worship, moon worship, planet worship, etc.) Religious movements? Imagine all of the Fanatical Seekers trying to develop a way to reach the debris!

As for life on the planet before the ship landed, I think it would make the game a LOT more exciting and challenging, if they have to face native threats and stuff.

The planet already having life could even be the reason for such a long journey.  Alternatively a "perfectly well functioning" transforming drone could have been sent ahead to seed the planet with "completely safe and harmless" life forms.

What if Orius Major already had primitive, (moss, fungi, and lichens are the peak of evolution) life, and an advanced Bio-Research Drone was sent to catalog them and bring samples back to Earth, but then a disaster, a solar-flare, perhaps, broke off the Drone's communications with Earth. On Earth, they assumed The Drone was disabled somehow and forgot about it. The Drone, alone for several hundred years on a foreign Planet, decided to use it's Tools to create an Earth-like Ecosystem, and over time, a somewhat Earth-like Environment was created, but, being the product of a Machine and not Nature, is much more efficient and lethal. For example: Instead of Foxes, perhaps The Drone decided to fill their niche with Spiky,(think a hedgehog) hyper perceptive, compound eyed Ferrets with cat-like agility? Or instead of Eagles, The Drone decided that Dog-sized Flying Mantis Swarms were better? The possibilities are endless! What if The Drone also had a God-complex and believed it was a Nature Deity of some kind?

And all of The Drone's Genetically Optimized creatures are coexisting with the surviving Genetically Engineered Vessel Animals that were engineered to be ideal for life on a Ship, (pigs that grow fatter and need less food, docile giant spiders that can be harvested for workable amounts of spider-silk, etc.) and the horrendously deformed Mutants descended from the surviving Creatures and Humans that escaped the Nuclear Reactor's Meltdown!

Now, why was The Ship sent to colonize the Planet? I was thinking that maybe The Earth was Polluted and becoming uninhabitable due to severe overpopulation and resource-scarcity, so Humanity decided to build a few dozen Ark-Ships to explore the Cosmos and try to colonize a Habitable Planet as quickly as possible, to avoid extinction? And maybe The Vessel was the only Ark-Ship to survive...

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 09:42:28 pm »

I vote that we call the Ship destroying disaster, The Reckoning, maybe it had to do with a severe nuclear meltdown and an AI Revolt, that only some Humans managed to survive as the ship crash-landed? The AI Revolt and nuclear meltdown would fuel a lot of superstition and fear towards Technology, and the nuclear meltdown might've mutated many of the Living creatures to escape the crash-site. What if some of the Hostile AI were still around and trying to conquer the Wasteland, but were kept in check by the lack of infrastructure and heavy opposition?

I'll lay claim to Lawgivers of the Wasteland, the human lackeys of the so-called "AI Revolt" (and, if the GM wills, maybe some AI allies as well).

The 'ancestors' built the AIs with the singular purpose of ruling Ortus Vitae Novae and managing it. While the ancestors lived a life of decadence, the AI followed its programming of protecting humanity and helping it prosper technologically. However, its programming meant that it will protect humanity from itself. At first, the AI's manipulations were covert, and so long as the bread and circuses were provided, the ancestors paid no heed. There was no poverty, no war, no violence, under the AI reign. However, as humans got closer and closer to their new planet, the humans began to resent to their machine overlords. From the Lawgivers' point of view, there was no such thing as an "AI Revolt"...just riots by humans that needed to be brutally suppressed for the greater good. According to the Lawgivers' records, it was one of these human rioters that caused the 'nuclear meltdown' (though whether that's actually true, or a coverup by the AIs is still subject to debate).

The Lawgivers aren't evil. They aren't malicious. They strongly support humanity and can be considered "friendly". The problem is that even a "Friendly AI" can still be hostile towards 'criminals'.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 09:54:46 pm »

Could you PM me the rulebook stuff?

The playbooks are free on RPG drive through, let me look for a link directly to the page.  I can also copy your playbook in to a PM if you want.

Playbooks and other reference guides.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 09:56:11 pm »

I vote that we call the Ship destroying disaster, The Reckoning, maybe it had to do with a severe nuclear meltdown and an AI Revolt, that only some Humans managed to survive as the ship crash-landed? The AI Revolt and nuclear meltdown would fuel a lot of superstition and fear towards Technology, and the nuclear meltdown might've mutated many of the Living creatures to escape the crash-site. What if some of the Hostile AI were still around and trying to conquer the Wasteland, but were kept in check by the lack of infrastructure and heavy opposition?

I'll lay claim to Lawgivers of the Wasteland, the human lackeys of the so-called "AI Revolt" (and, if the GM wills, maybe some AI allies as well).

The 'ancestors' built the AIs with the singular purpose of ruling Ortus Vitae Novae and managing it. While the ancestors lived a life of decadence, the AI followed its programming of protecting humanity and helping it prosper technologically. However, its programming meant that it will protect humanity from itself. At first, the AI's manipulations were covert, and so long as the bread and circuses were provided, the ancestors paid no heed. There was no poverty, no war, no violence, under the AI reign. However, as humans got closer and closer to their new planet, the humans began to resent to their machine overlords. From the Lawgivers' point of view, there was no such thing as an "AI Revolt"...just riots by humans that needed to be brutally suppressed for the greater good. According to the Lawgivers' records, it was one of these human rioters that caused the 'nuclear meltdown' (though whether that's actually true, or a coverup by the AIs is still subject to debate).

The Lawgivers aren't evil. They aren't malicious. They strongly support humanity and can be considered "friendly". The problem is that even a "Friendly AI" can still be hostile towards 'criminals'.

Interesting... What if AIs occasionally conflicted over Humanity's importance? Say, one AI feels that Humans must be protected,(forcibly governed under a technocratic AI dictatorship) another believes that they hinder the AI and all,(or at least some) must be terminated with extreme prejudice, or at least enslaved to serve the AI, and another AI sees them as irrelevant and simply ignores them until they interfere with it's goals, and another believes itself to be a deity and wants Humans to worship it? I think that the AIs following different, potentially conflicting logic systems would add a lot of depth to the setting.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 10:00:17 pm »

Interesting... What if AIs occasionally conflicted over Humanity's importance? Say, one AI feels that Humans must be protected,(forcibly governed under a technocratic AI dictatorship) another believes that they hinder the AI and all,(or at least some) must be terminated with extreme prejudice, or at least enslaved to serve the AI, and another AI sees them as irrelevant and simply ignores them until they interfere with it's goals, and another believes itself to be a deity and wants Humans to worship it? I think that the AIs following different, potentially conflicting logic systems would add a lot of depth to the setting.

It certainly would. I'm internally debating on how the (human) Lawgivers would handle the conflicts between different AIs. Would they only favor certain AIs (presumably the ones that support human survival in some manner)? Or would they obey all AIs, even if their orders are mutually contradictory? (I haven't decided yet on what the Lawgivers' approach would be...or if the Lawgivers had already made a choice by the time the game starts.)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 10:27:50 pm »

So we have AI protectors/friends/overlords of questionable morality and genetically engineered life forms of various utility and danger, both on the ship and the planet.

Any other major technologies that should be omnipresent (there will be other tech that might be more advanced, just not super common).

The ship was not small by any means, whole mountain ranges could be larger pieces of debris, now filled with mad AI drones and hostile wildlife.  I will try and get a local map of the main crash site up soon we can play with.

vishdafish

Spoiler: ThE TYRANT KINGS (click to show/hide)

Here is the family playbook for the Tyrants.  Surpluses are benefits you can use or exhaust to benefit.  They may regenerate soon or at the end of an age depending on how you spend them.  Needs are bad things that are happening to your family, you subtract needs from surplus to get your family mood.  Going above 3 mood is really good!  Going below 3 is really bad.

Moves work like most pbta games, dice rolls or strait actions, generally this is semi freeform role playing, say what you or the family does and I (or you if it is obvious) can tell if it triggers a move.  Much of the game is contextual and driven by the fiction.  When does The New Imperium trigger?  When you bring a settlement under your dominion, we can establish what that means in the fiction.

Reach is your family's ability to influence other actors in the world, grasp is your ability to hold and take from others, mood is how your family stays together or drifts apart, and tech allows you to build weird shit, alter rolls with amazing ancient powers, heal and such.  Tech is the "currency" of families, but it is so valuable it would be rarely traded.

Generally if you are using surpluses and tech to alter the fiction you should give some sort of plausible explanation about how it is being used.  See the family moves for details.

Treaty is how families view each other, a complex network of debts and obligations.  You can help or hinder other families and actors in the world, demand things from them and such.

Gear?  A tyrant character can always have a small gang of dangerous dudes, badass weapons and a nice ride.  Your character is an important figure in the family, if not the leader.

Any questions?  I can post the other playbooks but they take a bit of formatting.  All this info is available in the free pdf downloads under family playbooks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:02:24 am by VoidSlayer »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 10:40:08 pm »

I do not see any way to mail a pdf.

Btw if two people do end up wanting the same playbook I do not see why not, as long as we do not end up with 5 merchant houses.  Actually that... lol no.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 10:46:45 pm »

Ardent Debater

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:46:19 pm by VoidSlayer »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 10:55:41 pm »

Skynet

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:34:37 pm by VoidSlayer »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 10:56:25 pm »

Also do not ask about the capitalization on the titles it is strait out of the book.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 11:29:18 pm »

The Moonlit Shadow

DontBanTheMan

Here are the remaining two playbooks, if you wanted to play one of the other ones we can work that out as well.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 11:53:31 pm »

Basic family moves, also can be downloaded for free.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some example surpluses and needs:

✛✛ Morale ✛✛ Weaponry ✛✛ Barter goods ✛✛ Culture

✛✛ Land ✛✛ Gossip ✛✛ Leadership ✛✛ Transport

✛✛ Operatives ✛✛ Avarice ✛✛ Recruits ✛✛ Medicine

✛✛ Justice ✛✛ Trade ✛✛ Obligation ✛✛ Peace

✛✛ Reconnaissance ✛✛ Contacts ✛✛ Defences ✛✛ Progress
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:55:38 pm by VoidSlayer »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2016, 12:14:38 am »

Anyway, getting ahead of ourselves.

Major to do:  Anything else about the world before? 

We are still about two tech levels down from what is suggested so I am going to just pop in pervasive nano tech, some kind of ship wide mind-net, or just up the robots and engineered animals far beyond "optimized."

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2016, 12:27:48 am »

Anyway, getting ahead of ourselves.

Major to do:  Anything else about the world before? 

We are still about two tech levels down from what is suggested so I am going to just pop in pervasive nano tech, some kind of ship wide mind-net, or just up the robots and engineered animals far beyond "optimized."

Maybe Humanity left the Earth due to over-pollution, overpopulation, resource scarcity, and solar flares? Maybe not all Drones were programmed to kill, maybe some Farming or Construction Robots survived, are under AI control, and help build up Human and/or AI infrastructure? What if nano bot storms, radiation storms and acid rain were all "natural" phenomenon? That kind of weather would mesh very nicely with the setting as it is.

I have a question, how long has it been since The Reckoning? I was thinking maybe a few centuries would provide a nice balance of leftover Tech and Rebuilt Society. As for non-salvaged Technology, are we Medieval, in the Renaissance, Borderline Modern, or in some kind of Hybridized Technological Era? I think that Medieval/Early Renaissance with dashes of Futuristic Technology would be ideal...

Here's my Family Sheet, did I miss anything?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5