Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1225 1226 [1227] 1228 1229 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395415 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18390 on: January 26, 2017, 11:16:18 am »

Anyways, one of the bits that I find most concerning (and I'm not even an immigrant, although very slightly worrying because I was born on a naval base abroad (but came back to the US before I was a year old), which is technically US soil, but still...) is this bit (which is summarized here because it goes completely against the fact that we're a nation of immigrants, hell, you could say Native Americans immigrated from Asia 10,000+ years ago:

"The US would be forbidden to admit immigrants who are likely to end up requiring help from the United States’ social safety net — including not just cash welfare, as is already the case, but Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program. Anyone on a visa who used any of these benefits would be deported, and those who sponsored them would have to pay the US government."

I know LoSboccacc said that Australia has exactly that, but it goes against how we see ourselves as a country.

Still, important to note that some of this stuff haven't been put to paper yet and none of it has actually been enacted yet AFAIK.

When searching for the terms 'asshole', 'golden shower', or even 'Putin' on Twitter, Trump's Twitter account made it to the very top of the recommendation list on all those keywords.
Twitter has announced it is taking immediate action to change this.

lol.....

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18391 on: January 26, 2017, 11:24:16 am »

I think that was actually policy before Trump. Difference is that the Trump policy is that employers have to pay for the welfare used by the sponsored immigrant.

Oh? If it was, then my mistake for being alarmist. I did know that employers are supposed to verify whether an immigrant is an undocumented immigrant or not, though it's not extremely well enforced and Agriculture literally depends on undocumented immigrants/seasonal migrants.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18392 on: January 26, 2017, 11:40:17 am »

I'm sure all the disgruntled unemployed Trump voters will be more than happy to take their place. Nothing beats some fantastic underpaid hard physical labour, to make America Great again.  /s

* martinuzz cracks whip
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18393 on: January 26, 2017, 12:10:03 pm »

Because nothing speaks more progressive about replacing mechanized agriculture with illegal immigrants doing hard labour

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18394 on: January 26, 2017, 12:14:06 pm »

At least they will in the week it takes for the farm jobs to be automated.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18395 on: January 26, 2017, 12:17:10 pm »

tbh decadent westerners need to learn work ethic, not outsource virtue

not surprising that you need migrants when hard work and self sufficiency is bad to USA minds

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18396 on: January 26, 2017, 12:20:22 pm »

At least they will in the week it takes for the farm jobs to be automated.

Farms have actually already been pretty heavily automated. It's just the harvesting of many crops that's the final one which hasn't been completely automated yet because, well, corn and wheat (and other grains) survive mechanical harvesting just fine, more fragile things like tomatoes and strawberries are more difficult.

not surprising that you need migrants when hard work and self sufficiency is bad to USA minds

Says the Briton who employs Polish immigrants to clean toilets (not you specifically, just in general). (meant in a joking tone).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18397 on: January 26, 2017, 12:21:32 pm »

More like Americans expect a higher live quality than that of a typical Mexical slave illegal farm-field worker.

Also, lol @ "self sufficiency".
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18398 on: January 26, 2017, 12:25:34 pm »

Says the Briton who employs Polish immigrants to clean toilets (not you specifically, just in general). (meant in a joking tone).
Exactly, who do you think taught you to be so lazy

Eternal Anglo strikes again

More like Americans expect a higher live quality than that of a typical Mexical slave illegal farm-field worker.

And look how weak and useless it makes them, unable to work, with all of their protection overseen by their political opponents. Middle class dreams are nightmares

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18399 on: January 26, 2017, 12:29:17 pm »

Have we talked about the growing list of rogue government agency twitter handles yet? It's sad that employees of government agencies feel that they need to do this, and muzzling them should go directly against the 1st Amendment anyway.

Why?  They have the right to say whatever they want as private citizens, but do not have the right to speak in official capacities without authorization.  Private companies can and do fire people who speak for the company without authorization (or who simply make the company look bad in an official capacity).  There was recently a public school district that fired their social media person for responding to a student's tweet by correcting their spelling.  People are up in arms about it, not because they think the school shouldn't have been able to do it, but because they think the social media person was right and the administration was wrong.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18400 on: January 26, 2017, 12:31:18 pm »

I am forever baffled that it is somehow the progresiv thing to do to allow agribusinesses to exploit illegal aliens for slave wages. It's mostly a talking point that Americans won't do those jobs, there are plenty of Americans who would apply if they were open (though maybe the people who believe this meme think it's beneath them,) companies simply don't want to hire them because they can easily get illegals instead.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18401 on: January 26, 2017, 12:36:33 pm »

Detroit ballot stuffing?

And yeah, if they provide mandatory federal ID crd, I don't really see the issue in asking for an idea. Non of the state that started voter ID card did it though, and they often targeted the kind of ID accepted to the kind of voters they wanted.

Every state that requires an ID to vote also has a free state ID program.

And most of the precincts in Detroit had a different number of ballots in the box than the number recorded by the machine and the number of voters recorded.  I think most were off by one errors that probably resulted from the poll workers forgetting to reset things properly when a ballot jammed in the machine.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18402 on: January 26, 2017, 12:43:07 pm »

I am forever baffled that it is somehow the progresiv thing to do to allow agribusinesses to exploit illegal aliens for slave wages. It's mostly a talking point that Americans won't do those jobs, there are plenty of Americans who would apply if they were open (though maybe the people who believe this meme think it's beneath them,) companies simply don't want to hire them because they can easily get illegals instead.

I'm nearly out of civility for dealing with ignorance and lies. You know full well that you've presented a straw man of liberal viewpoints. Since I'm trying to be nice, I will presume that you have been misinformed by someone else rather than having personally crafted an excuse for racism and neofascism.

The path-to-citizenship as proposed by liberals is a tool to END exploitation of illegal immigrants by granting them the protections of citizenship. Trump's effort to create a sub-citizen class of immigrants is the advancement of this new slavery. The only reason that liberals haven't achieved a humanist immigration reform is because of continuing Republican opposition over the past 16+ years.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18403 on: January 26, 2017, 12:45:45 pm »

Its not.  No side of the American political spectrum is happy about below minimum wage immigrant workers.

The difference is that democrats don't like it because its exploitative and republicans don't like it because its "stealing" jobs from Americans.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18404 on: January 26, 2017, 12:49:59 pm »

And look how weak and useless it makes them, unable to work, with all of their protection overseen by their political opponents. Middle class dreams are nightmares
Your obsession with strength and power is disturbing.

A few years ago, some people in Alabama who thought like you have cracked down on illegal labour. Result? Severe damage to local agricultural sector. Field work is a grueling job with piss-poor payment. It's not a task fit for Americans, or really, any other first-world person. Delegating it to the third-world people is the best you can do. It's a mutually beneficial cooperation - the payment that's "piss-poor" for USA is solid middle-class territory for the developing countries, and USA gets to put more of its population towards the highly profitable post-industrial sector.

Really, the laws on immigration in USA are just stupid. Per-country quotas? What is this I don't even. Fixing it would go a long way. Shame that corporate Republicans really don't want to do it because illegal third-world labor is even cheaper than legal third-world labor, eh?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 1225 1226 [1227] 1228 1229 ... 1249