Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1219 1220 [1221] 1222 1223 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394923 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18300 on: January 25, 2017, 02:23:22 pm »

Hahaha, someone in the US already sent an official petition to the White House with the request to honour the request to put the Netherlands second, arguing "there's no one in the second place yet, and the Netherlands is the first to ask".
Only 100.000 signatures are needed for the White House to have to come with an official response.

Meanwhile, our disabled politician, state secretary Klijnsma of Welfare, Social Affairs and Silly Walks wasn't offended at all and called it "Great! Simply fantastic! Best video ever!". Ponypark Slagharen, which is closed for the winter, has seen as many visitors enter their website as they normally would in the height of summer season, getting reactions from all over the world from people who want to 'ride the best ponies in the world'.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/media/staatssecretaris-klijnsma-over-filmpje-lubach-best-video-ever~a4453364/

What does the second part have to do with US politics? Also, funny how her comment is in English while the entire article is in German.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18301 on: January 25, 2017, 02:27:09 pm »

Huh. Wasn't the campaign message basically forcing protection money out of all our allies, to make up any differences? Did that fall through or somethin'?
Presumably that's what the military spending increases are for. Gotta spend money to make money you know? They aren't going to cough up the dough until they see drones tailing them in the distance whenever they are late on a payment.
Brace yourselves, the wall is coming.
He has still gotta pay for it, and I do strongly doubt Mexico is actually paying for it.

Trump has been saying stuff like he'll get them to do it somehow, likely through some complicated setup (aka, he has no clue). About the only thing that could work is some Rube Goldberg-esque contraption, except instead of physical objects, it'd be a complex series of indirect effects, side effects, and legalese.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18302 on: January 25, 2017, 02:27:37 pm »

What does the second part have to do with US politics? Also, funny how her comment is in English while the entire article is in German.
Did you watch the video?

Also, it's not German
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18303 on: January 25, 2017, 02:28:10 pm »

German? :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18304 on: January 25, 2017, 02:30:07 pm »

What do you mean, it's clearly all Deutsch. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18305 on: January 25, 2017, 02:30:42 pm »

Did you watch the video?

Also, it's not German
German? :P

I forgot that it's a Dutch paper, not German. Also, /me is a silly American

edit2: Weird, the /me thing doesn't work with text before it.

Still funny how the comment is in English and the entirety of the article is in Dutch. No I didn't watch the video (barely looked at the article), but I will now.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18307 on: January 25, 2017, 02:34:57 pm »

Forget that, he signed the sanctuary city defunding? Here we go.
I remember someone saying that this was the "nuclear option" that no one would ever go to, because it would do unmeasurable amounts of economic damage to the country.

Trump enacted it on the fourth day of his Presidency.

this is going to be a wild ride
._.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18308 on: January 25, 2017, 02:35:23 pm »

Huh. Wasn't the campaign message basically forcing protection money out of all our allies, to make up any differences? Did that fall through or somethin'?
Presumably that's what the military spending increases are for. Gotta spend money to make money you know? They aren't going to cough up the dough until they see drones tailing them in the distance whenever they are late on a payment.
Brace yourselves, the wall is coming.
He has still gotta pay for it, and I do strongly doubt Mexico is actually paying for it.

Trump has been saying stuff like he'll get them to do it somehow, likely through some complicated setup (aka, he has no clue). About the only thing that could work is some Rube Goldberg-esque contraption, except instead of physical objects, it'd be a complex series of indirect effects, side effects, and legalese.

he's gonna tax drug imports, obviously.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18309 on: January 25, 2017, 02:39:50 pm »

Trump wants to reinstate CIA black sites, start using waterboarding again, and start using Guantanomo Bay to it's full capacity again.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/-presdient-trump-overweegt-heropening-geheime-cia-gevangenissen~a4453406/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/white-house-draft-order-calls-for-review-on-use-of-cia-black-sites-overseas/2017/01/25/e4318970-e310-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.db07fcca12c4

Sean Spicer said in the daily press conference earlier that the document about the CIA 'black sites' isn't from the White House, so the accuracy of that one is to be determined.

I think Mexico has also threatened to pull out of NAFTA if Trump does stuff, though they are open to renegotiating and modernizing NAFTA.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18310 on: January 25, 2017, 02:41:18 pm »

I remember someone saying that this was the "nuclear option" that no one would ever go to, because it would do unmeasurable amounts of economic damage to the country.

California drafting it's citizens for a war of independence yet?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18311 on: January 25, 2017, 02:43:54 pm »

That's my point. Democracy as a system is still strong. It's the un-democratic party operations that brought us where we are.
Well the party operations are as old as the republic, so I don't follow.

It's more their actions within the past two decades or so. Also, polarization.
...has that really changed tho?  We had a movie star and then a popular moderate for 16 years and I think that kinda smoothed things over.  I see no evidence that US politics hasn't been divisive and polarizing for most of its history.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18312 on: January 25, 2017, 02:46:45 pm »

I don't think the Democrats would go through with a shutdown, for two reasons:

1: Ethically, it would remain a form of destroying the country to save it. Even worse, since while the Republicans could claim victory if they paralyzed spending, Democrats can't fight to enhance or preserve services by... degrading services.

2: The Democrats aren't as united as the Republicans are, at least from a congressional side. Weak though the R party is, it's members march in lockstep in the chambers. They've fallen in line behind a president who's insulted and assailed Republicans throughout the party.

So no, it would have to be a congressional revolt inside the republican party, and like I said, that's unlikely. Rather, the Republicans will just decide that deficit spending is OK when you're red.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18313 on: January 25, 2017, 02:48:31 pm »

California drafting it's citizens for a war of independence yet?

Waiting for our Fort Sumter.

Honestly, it might begin with a move against sanctuary cities.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18314 on: January 25, 2017, 02:49:43 pm »

That's my point. Democracy as a system is still strong. It's the un-democratic party operations that brought us where we are.
Well the party operations are as old as the republic, so I don't follow.

It's more their actions within the past two decades or so. Also, polarization.
...has that really changed tho?  We had a movie star and then a popular moderate for 16 years and I think that kinda smoothed things over.  I see no evidence that US politics hasn't been divisive and polarizing for most of its history.

Theres always some polarization, yes, but the polarization has gotten to the point where it's called hyperpolarization and it's at levels that haven't been seen for at least a century.

I don't think the Democrats would go through with a shutdown, for two reasons:

1: Ethically, it would remain a form of destroying the country to save it. Even worse, since while the Republicans could claim victory if they paralyzed spending, Democrats can't fight to enhance or preserve services by... degrading services.

2: The Democrats aren't as united as the Republicans are, at least from a congressional side. Weak though the R party is, it's members march in lockstep in the chambers. They've fallen in line behind a president who's insulted and assailed Republicans throughout the party.

So no, it would have to be a congressional revolt inside the republican party, and like I said, that's unlikely. Rather, the Republicans will just decide that deficit spending is OK when you're red.

The Tea Party Republicans who brought it to near default are still there and could put up some kind of fight.
Pages: 1 ... 1219 1220 [1221] 1222 1223 ... 1249