Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1210 1211 [1212] 1213 1214 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393458 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18165 on: January 23, 2017, 09:08:52 pm »

Trump just ordered the media to stop reporting about the Pope, God, or "other insignificant elitist bastards". "If you want to spread fake news", he said, "it shall be about me". /f
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18166 on: January 23, 2017, 09:10:47 pm »

Don't worry, Trump will probably be out after 1 term. Three two-term presidents in a row (Clinton -> Bush -> Obama) hasn't happened since 1820. Four's never happened in American history.

Something tells me he is going to try and contest the results if he loses in 2020. :P

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18167 on: January 23, 2017, 09:27:24 pm »

Don't worry, Trump will probably be out after 1 term. Three two-term presidents in a row (Clinton -> Bush -> Obama) hasn't happened since 1820. Four's never happened in American history.

Something tells me he is going to try and contest the results if he loses in 2020. :P

"I got the most votes for an incumbent ever, period."
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18168 on: January 23, 2017, 09:49:36 pm »

The key to remember: NY Times and WashPo are the legit papers, NY Post and Washington Times are the yellow journalism rags.

So, according to Gallup, Dubya bottomed out at 25% approval. I've found lower, but not included aggregates for some reason, so I guess they might not be reliable. Anyway, think Trump will beat it?
Trump's starting off at a much lower point. Even if he only lasts one term I'm betting he breaks 20%. The real goal is getting below the Congressional approval rating.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18169 on: January 23, 2017, 09:53:43 pm »

I don't know man, sometimes Congress goes so far that they break the Lizardman's Constant, even if Trump literally starts putting people in concentration camps I think he'd manage 1 in 10 support.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18170 on: January 23, 2017, 09:55:56 pm »

The key to remember: NY Times and WashPo are the legit papers, NY Post and Washington Times are the yellow journalism rags.

That reminds me of this sketch.

Edit: Don't know what the American equivalent of each category would be, though.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:57:58 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18171 on: January 23, 2017, 09:56:23 pm »

I don't know man, sometimes Congress goes so far that they break the Lizardman's Constant, even if Trump literally starts putting people in concentration camps I think he'd manage 1 in 10 support.
Like I said, he's got to work damn hard for it. But what can I say? Trump is absolutely the best at making people hate him, nobody generates widespread dislike the way Trump can. Trump knows that he can count on the American people to make him the best terrible president America has ever seen.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18172 on: January 24, 2017, 01:15:09 am »

As if that means anything.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18173 on: January 24, 2017, 02:37:17 am »

Interesting article on investments in financial technologies:
https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/01/24/046204/china-unseats-us-as-global-investment-leader-in-financial-technology-report

Basically between 2015 and 2016 China went from 19% of global "fintech" investments to 46% (investments in China were $2 billion in 2010 vs about $20 billion in 2016), while America declined from 56% of global investments to 41%. (which puts total global investments at about 43 billion, 17 billion of which is in America. So in a single year, China went from a backwater to the main game in town for investment in financial services. Also in 2016, the service economy in China exceeded 50% of GDP for the first time. Basically Trump wants a trade war with China, but he's probably 15 years too late for it to really matter to the Chinese.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 02:59:57 am by Reelya »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18174 on: January 24, 2017, 02:49:00 am »

wait is contesting result bad or good? because seems most people around here were all for it just this last november  ::)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18175 on: January 24, 2017, 03:14:54 am »

wait is contesting result bad or good? because seems most people around here were all for it just this last november  ::)

Depends on the results mostly. The whole thing was made weird by Trump losing the popular vote by a huge margin and still winning the EC. Of course though, Trump's ego is inflamed by the whole hacking deal.

Four years is a long time however, so....

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18176 on: January 24, 2017, 03:16:36 am »

It is the context behind calling for it.

No one sane is against contesting the results of an election. They are against using it as a platform to air your grievances.

I mean to put what you said in context... If we were talking about police searches.

"Wait are police searches good or bad? Because most people around here were all up for it when they were searching well established drug warehouses. Yet now that they are randomly searching people's homes it is bad apparently... MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!" (Hyperbole for comedy)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:18:11 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18177 on: January 24, 2017, 03:17:23 am »

Good when it looks like there might be reason for it (ahead a couple million in the popular vote and losing anyway, ferex), bad when it's incredibly obvious there's not (say what's somehow managing to look even more likely to be the results of a trump reelection attempt).

Posit being trump would be trying to screech out a results contest even if he was several million down and flattened in the EC.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18178 on: January 24, 2017, 03:24:10 am »

Posit being trump would be trying to screech out a results contest even if he was several million down and flattened in the EC.

but here's the problem, everyone's projecting the worst possible outcome always. seems right when they tell they're under attack all the time from all the fronts.

the real issue is that hating everything equally is gonna shadow the real bad stuff he's gonna push like on abortions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18179 on: January 24, 2017, 03:28:58 am »

Australia is already pitching for a new version of the TPP which includes China this time but not America. The real issue is that the USA framed TPP specifically to exclude China from the deal. But with America pulling out of the deal, China is free now to push it's own regional trade bloc that doesn't include America.

the real issue is that hating everything equally is gonna shadow the real bad stuff he's gonna push like on abortions.

I think that's a mischaracterization of what's happened recently. The media merely reported on the inauguration event. Then Sean Spicer went into full meltdown mode over the media coverage (which was just normal coverage of such an event on an otherwise slow news day). Basically the Trump people are who made this into a media spectacle.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:31:56 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1210 1211 [1212] 1213 1214 ... 1249