Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1202 1203 [1204] 1205 1206 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394664 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18045 on: January 22, 2017, 12:41:18 am »

I meant more 'I wish we had as many and as diverse choices for Dems as there were for the Republicans'.
... were the republican choices actually diverse? Like... at all. I seem to remember most of them being more or less interchangeable with (at least) three or four of the other candidates. Even trump to a fair degree, really. Differences were there but they weren't exactly substantial, and policy wise they were pretty close to cookie-cutter t'boot. There was a lot of bodies in that mess but m'not sure if there was much in the way of functional choice involved...

That's sort of why Trump won. He was an outlier, with a field of fairly similar sane people. So in other words perhaps 25% of Republicans liked Trump, 75% liked someone else, but they were split 5 ways so each of those people got 15%, even though virtually any of them would beat Trump in a 1:1 battle.

Primaries really need ranked voting. Even just a second choice would be much better.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:46:27 am by Reelya »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18046 on: January 22, 2017, 04:17:47 am »

I mean, the Republicans obviously hate his guts too - maybe even more than the Democrats.  They RAILED against him.  Then fell in line, in the most obvious way.
They're literally using him as a scapegoat, with Pence as a fallback plan if necessary.
It's Bush/Cheney but instead of a warhawk, we have the fucking moral majority pulling the strings.  *directly* instead of being catered to in the election.

Ironically they weren't even catered to, this time, they just won ANYWAY because the Republican Party has this clueless heir (heiress, but male) by the short hairs!
Are you under the impression that Republicans are controlling Trump? That's definitely against the evidence. The evidence points against Trump having any sort of republican pulling the strings behind him. Maybe Russians or something, but definitely not someone a US legislator of any sort.

To wit:
Paul Ryan invited Donald Trump’s most senior advisers to Capitol Hill a week ago to head off a quiet tug-of-war between congressional Republicans and Trump officials over tax reform. For more than two hours, the speaker laid out his alternative to Trump’s plan to slap tariffs on companies that move jobs overseas, which he believed would encourage companies to stay in the U.S.

But not even a week later, Trump dismissed Ryan’s idea, calling it “too complicated.” And now Ryan is left with a potential trillion-dollar hole in his tax plan.

I do recommend reading the article. It shows off one of, in fact I'd bet the most important issue we'll see in the next four years. In fact, I'd bet anyone $20 that the most fundamental, consequential question in how the Trump Administration is looking after the 100 days Camelot media-fest is over will be "What will happen between Trump and Congressional Republicans?" That question - and whether Trump defers to them or vice versa, or whether they end up at war, and how democrats figure into it - will be the single most important thing that will define the Trump Administration. Calling it right now. I'd say the odds of Trump taking a conciliatory approach is close to nil; meaning the ball is in the Republicans court for whether, and how much, they will tolerate his antics.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:07:50 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18047 on: January 22, 2017, 04:20:35 am »

Dont feel too bad; once trump tanks the dollar, there wont be ANY INCENTIVE to using overseas labor.

A crashed dollar will disrupt the entire world monetary system, derailing globalism in general, and a depressed dollar means that american companies will have no financial value in operating overseas factories, because overseas workers will be just as costly as domestic ones.

The fact that it will result in widespread hunger, widespread diseases going untreated, homelessness, and a rash of other serious financial maladies that will likely result in a third world war are just side effects. The result will be that level playing field everyone seems to claim to want without actually wanting.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:25:04 am by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18048 on: January 22, 2017, 04:23:21 am »

Dont feel too bad; once trump tanks the dollar, there wont be ANY INCENTIVE to using overseas labor.

Once again the scary part about Trump's plan is that it won't immediately tank the dollar... in fact it will likely create a sort of false peak in the economy...

The moment he leaves office though it will tank.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18049 on: January 22, 2017, 04:26:38 am »

Dont kid yourself. The policies Trump will institute will cause an investor panic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18050 on: January 22, 2017, 04:28:35 am »

Dont kid yourself. The policies Trump will institute will cause an investor panic.

Yeah but it isn't like Trump pays his investors.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18051 on: January 22, 2017, 04:29:12 am »

An investor panic will drop the major US exchanges, which will rapidly devalue the dollar, leading to a lending panic.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18052 on: January 22, 2017, 04:30:34 am »

None. the US dollar is the IMF reserve currency.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18053 on: January 22, 2017, 04:31:06 am »

An investor panic will drop the major US exchanges, which will rapidly devalue the dollar, leading to a lending panic.

Yes but what Trump will do is steal all the investor's money... and not give them anything in return.

Like he typically does :P

-Note: Not a conspiracy theory... Trump HAS done that... and people wonder why I say he isn't a very good business man.
--It is weird Trump has probably the biggest undue credit EVER! Yeah he makes money (ignoring that he has been poor for years upon years), but mostly by screwing people over and taking advantage of gaps in the American legal system to cover his butt.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:32:51 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18054 on: January 22, 2017, 04:32:53 am »

That makes no sense. The dollars he would steal would lose comparable value.

Historical note: Wheelbarrows full of german marks to buy one loaf of bread at the end of WW2

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18055 on: January 22, 2017, 04:50:33 am »

I feel like shorting the US dollar, but I'm not exactly sure what to short it against. No good taking my earnings in said US dollar; who knows what currency won't be tanked alongside?
Salt and matches.
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18056 on: January 22, 2017, 05:15:44 am »

*test's Sergarr's Russian SciFi literacy

Ketse's are contraband.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18057 on: January 22, 2017, 05:41:31 am »

*test's Sergarr's Russian SciFi literacy

Ketse's are contraband.
But how else are you supposed to buy a gravitsapa?

* Sergarr passes the test with flying colors
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18058 on: January 22, 2017, 05:47:02 am »

A world with no pants-color differentiation has no future! ;)

Yup, flying colors.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18059 on: January 22, 2017, 06:23:58 am »

Can't the press secretary be arrested for what he did? Something something constitution something something protect press freedom?
Or based on the Terrorism Act. Something something trying to damage democracy something?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:26:32 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 1202 1203 [1204] 1205 1206 ... 1249