Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388883 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: 2016, Version 2.0
« Reply #17836 on: January 20, 2017, 02:15:09 pm »

I know it's silly, but sometimes I do think that being in the Commonwealth - having Her Majesty as a figurehead - might have helped us (the US).  Not just this election, but in general.  We conflate figurehead with leader of the armed forces, and then he's manager of the branch that actually does everything.

You know, I kinda want to see the UK invite the US to join the Commonwealth.  The reactions of the world would be hilarious.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17837 on: January 20, 2017, 02:18:45 pm »

You know, I kinda want to see the UK invite the US to join the Commonwealth.  The reactions of the world would be hilarious.
It would be pretty spooky tbh and could possibly end up killing the Commonwealth

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17838 on: January 20, 2017, 02:24:16 pm »

The world was remarkably peaceful in the Warsaw-NATO two pole system and has been in the one pole system after the USSR collapsed. Looking at the coming non-polar world, there's no guarantee it's going to be a nice place.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17839 on: January 20, 2017, 02:25:19 pm »

>remarkably peaceful
>close to human extinction
ayy lmao

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17840 on: January 20, 2017, 02:27:35 pm »

To be fair, we have been and always will be close to extinction with these MAD (heh) numbers of nuclear weapons.  I think it's impressive that we avoided it during those times.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17841 on: January 20, 2017, 02:29:46 pm »

It'd be more like multi-polar with no single pole absolutely dominating. Basically, the Great Power system of the 19th century (actually, a lot further back too) and the first few decades of the 20th.

However, the Great Power system then was concentrated in Europe (the US didn't get to the status it has now until after WWII, although it started on the road to it after WWI), now it's spread out (US, Europe+Russia, China, Iran*), and nukes didn't exist. As has been mentioned, Africa and South America don't have anybody remotely close to Great Power political status. Brazil was on it's way there, then it broke.

*Although there isn't any single dominant power in the MidEast, Turkey and Saudi Arabia are both vying for regional dominance as well.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:38:59 pm by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17842 on: January 20, 2017, 02:45:37 pm »

I ... guess Iran as a regional power.

But I'd argue that their power is heavily exaggerated because they're the designated bogeyman. You always need to keep one of them in stock. The Turks and the Saudis have about double the GDP each, and about double the military expenditure of Iran.

Economically, Iran rates #27 in the world, behind Nigeria even. So on pure economy, they don't rate highly at all. Also, if you look at World Bank figures for Iran's military expenditure, they dropped it right off after the Iran-Iraq war ended (1988). It's now about 2.3% of GDP, which is low for the region.
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.GD.ZS?locations=IR
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.GD.ZS
Iraq spends 7.3% of their GDP on weapons, Jordan 4.3%, Israel 5.4%, Saudi Arabia 13.5%. So you can see, not only are they average in GDP, Iran is actually one of the lower spenders on arms in the region. If they're causing an arms race as idiots will try and claim, they're doing it in a weird way that involves not investing much in their military.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:01:07 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17843 on: January 20, 2017, 02:51:00 pm »

I guess Iran as a regional power. But I'd argue you have to add Brazil and others to world powers if you're counting Iran. Iran has a fairly low GDP, and they have almost zero ability to project military force (other than sending some militia to help a civil war here or there).

That's what I'm saying, it's more of a collection of regional powers of varying strength trying to vie on the world stage in a very global geopolitical community. With the US maintaining it's miitary power projection capabilities. The last time such a Great Power type situation happened, things weren't as globalized as they are now (nearly entirely Europe centered, and China at the time had been in isolationist mode for a while), so, it's a new situation in human history as well.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17844 on: January 20, 2017, 03:02:50 pm »

I was mainly pointing that Iran doesn't fit the description of a regional power. They have middling GDP and actually don't invest as much of their GDP in arms as other nearby countries. Don't let the media mislead you, look up the information yourself (see the edit). Iran just isn't investing in being a military power, according to international sources.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17845 on: January 20, 2017, 03:05:32 pm »

I was mainly pointing that Iran doesn't fit the description of a regional power. They have middling GDP and actually don't invest as much of their GDP in arms as other nearby countries. Don't let the media mislead you, look up the information yourself (see the edit). Iran just isn't investing in being a military power, according to international sources.
>doesn't post any sources
>doubts that a regional hegemon fits the description of a regional power without sources
Their power extends through their lands and into mesopotamia

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17846 on: January 20, 2017, 03:06:42 pm »

Well you know... Reelya didn't post any real sources, unless you look at the real source he posted.

Just sort of tilt your eyeballs upward.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17847 on: January 20, 2017, 03:06:54 pm »

I posted world bank sources in the previous post. Iran's military expenditures are well below the regional average. Basically they massively scaled-back their military spending in 1988 when the war with Saddam ended.

Their entire defense budget is $10 billion. To put that in perspective, New Zealand spends $3 billion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

As a comparison, the Saudi's spend $87 billion on arms, which is basically what France and Germany combined spend.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:14:50 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17848 on: January 20, 2017, 03:10:29 pm »

To an extent I wonder if Iran serves as a stabilizing force in the Middle East (I said Stabilizing force, not magic source... Don't go "Well there is still war in the middle east")

But my only source that suggest that is from the freeken 90s... It also says Egypt also serves that role.

Mostly because if any Middle Eastern Country gets too rowdy they will be steamrolled by them.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17849 on: January 20, 2017, 03:13:13 pm »

Iran doesn't spend much compared to the Saudis but their influence should not be underestimated. They have a powerful proxy group in Hezbollah and other smaller Shia militias, and their military assistance to the Syrian government gives them a good deal of pull there (though not as much as Russia.) They also have one of the best navies in the region, and are the most populous after Turkey.

And you need look no further than the Saudi's trouble with Yemen (and Houthi tribespeople) to see how much that ridiculous defense budget is actually getting them. Defense spending is a very shallow metric for military power.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:22:01 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 1249