Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388936 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: 2016, Version 2.0
« Reply #17805 on: January 20, 2017, 12:21:57 pm »

Trump's address was pretty typically Trump.

And now we're back to your regularly scheduled prayers. I'm sorry if that annoys you, readers, but I still can't get over the sheer cultural shock that priests performing at political events in a supposedly not-shitty country induce in me.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17806 on: January 20, 2017, 12:24:34 pm »

Yeah, doesn't sound particularily unifying, but it's definetly uniquely a Trump speech.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17807 on: January 20, 2017, 12:24:49 pm »

I wonder if ww3 will start by a 12 year old kid hacking Trump's Twitter account and calling Putin's mom 'too ugly to grope'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17808 on: January 20, 2017, 12:26:21 pm »

If his presidency is roughly in line with his speech, seems America will be stepping away from the global side to focus more on the domestic side.  At least, that is my impression.

And now we're back to your regularly scheduled prayers. I'm sorry if that annoys you, readers, but I still can't get over the sheer cultural shock that priests performing at political events in a supposedly not-shitty country induce in me.

If I had to guess, religion is more of a private issue in the culture you are from?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17809 on: January 20, 2017, 12:28:11 pm »

I wonder if ww3 will start by a 12 year old kid hacking Trump's Twitter account and calling Putin's mom 'too ugly to grope'.

Hey, maybe Twitter will be the next place that has a major database leak. Those have certainly slowed down recently but there's still one or two a year.

"Mr President, I know how much you love Twitter and they just got hacked, maybe you should change your password"
"Change my password? At least 12 characters? Let me tell you something, I've written a password or two in my time..."
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17810 on: January 20, 2017, 12:32:01 pm »

If I had to guess, religion is more of a private issue in the culture you are from?

He is Russian, and the Soviets atheist-itized Russia pretty good, so, yeah, cultural differences.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17811 on: January 20, 2017, 12:34:02 pm »

If his presidency is roughly in line with his speech, seems America will be stepping away from the global side to focus more on the domestic side.  At least, that is my impression.
I dunno, that "radical islamic terrorism will be eradicated completely" part was pretty interventionalistic in nature. I guess it's more like "America First, fuck everyone else".

Well, yes. Most public displays of religion are basically forced by government and their cronies, and they are nearly universally seen in the Russian Internet community as, and I'm not really exaggerating here, a sign of a great intellectual failure and moral degradation of a Russian nation.

So yeah, cultural shock.
._.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17812 on: January 20, 2017, 12:34:33 pm »

The orthodox church is pretty strong, tho.

And he's got a sweet hat.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #17813 on: January 20, 2017, 12:56:45 pm »

The redeeming quality of American Protestantism and the top is that things are still pretty fragmented as far as religion goes. We don't really have one state owned church so much as many, many flavors of Christianity, sprinkled with other religions on top.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17814 on: January 20, 2017, 01:03:46 pm »

The redeeming quality of American Protestantism and the top is that things are still pretty fragmented as far as religion goes. We don't really have one state owned church so much as many, many flavors of Christianity, sprinkled with other religions on top.

We don't have a state owned or supported church, period, and yeah, without a central preferred church, people are free to branch off churches as they please.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17815 on: January 20, 2017, 01:06:27 pm »

Wew. Watched Trump's speech live. He actually used the term "eradicate" in regards to "radical Islamic terrorism". Actually using the term "eradicate" in the first official speech as president of the United States. Something something gas chambers something something Hitler.

I am very much hopeful that Trump will be less interventionist. Aside from the islamic terror topic, and aside from how "bringing back factories and jobs" that were shipped to other countries for globalization will inevitably have influence on foreign nations and their economies.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17816 on: January 20, 2017, 01:07:19 pm »

I dunno, that "radical islamic terrorism will be eradicated completely" part was pretty interventionalistic in nature. I guess it's more like "America First, fuck everyone else".

I probably shorthanded things a bit much.  More accurate to say it is stepping away from interventionalist policies, unless it is a something in the vein of terrorism.

Well, yes. Most public displays of religion are basically forced by government and their cronies, and they are nearly universally seen in the Russian Internet community as, and I'm not really exaggerating here, a sign of a great intellectual failure and moral degradation of a Russian nation.

So yeah, cultural shock.

That's likely a side effect of long term soviet attempts towards Atheism.  I am not saying your views are wrong, but instead making the point as the USSR was their enemy, America was polarized in the opposite direction.  This is a side effect of that.  Things should start balancing out to an equilibrium in the near future as the generations that grew up in a time without that force polarizing them start to become a greater majority of the population.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17817 on: January 20, 2017, 01:15:49 pm »

Oh hey, he's signing orders!

His first order was for accepting Mattis, as far as I've seen.

Also, these poor children, what the fuck is wrong with people for forcing them to be in places where they clearly don't want to be?!
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17818 on: January 20, 2017, 01:17:59 pm »

I do think we need to sort of step back a little bit, but we've been dominant for so long that, well, how do you transition to being a more normal country while still having the same amount of geopolitical weight and not have the world order collapse because of a power vacuum.

So yeah, cultural shock.

That's likely a side effect of long term soviet attempts towards Atheism.  I am not saying your views are wrong, but instead making the point as the USSR was their enemy, America was polarized in the opposite direction.  This is a side effect of that.  Things should start balancing out to an equilibrium in the near future as the generations that grew up in a time without that force polarizing them start to become a greater majority of the population.

That trend is actually already starting, though not the majority yet.

Oh hey, he's signing orders!

His first order was for accepting Mattis, as far as I've seen.

That'd be the waiver most likely. Apparently he's approving various cabinet stuff I think? Largely procedural I guess.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17819 on: January 20, 2017, 01:30:42 pm »

I do think we need to sort of step back a little bit, but we've been dominant for so long that, well, how do you transition to being a more normal country while still having the same amount of geopolitical weight and not have the world order collapse because of a power vacuum.

Really is a shame that the South America and Subsaharan Africa don't have any nations rising in prominence.  This would be a perfect opportunity for them to break the basically chokehold the Northern Hemisphere has on influence.  Might even have been able to cause people to think of the world more globally if there was one down there.  I mean, you could make the argument Austrailia is one, but it tends to get sidelined by other English speaking nations.
Pages: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 1249