Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1180 1181 [1182] 1183 1184 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389098 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: 2016, Version 2.0
« Reply #17715 on: January 19, 2017, 12:07:20 am »

Trump isn't a reasonable person to have the pulpit. Anyone who criticizes him is incompetent if an individual a la John Lewis or is fake news a la CNN.

He's the person elected to have the pulpit. The integrity of the system and of the Republic is worth Trump in office. We've had shitty Presidents before; hopefully, we'll have shitty Presidents again.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17716 on: January 19, 2017, 12:22:46 am »

That's within the legal authority of the President. Sucks and it doesn't bode well, but the power of the pulpit is one of the core (and, as far as I'm concerned, should be the primary) power of the President.

It is also within the power of the president to seize people's goods and offer nothing in return so long as those goods are valuable. (or something along those lines)

"Legally allowed to" and "Sets a good precedent" are two separate things.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17717 on: January 19, 2017, 12:23:44 am »

Here's a question for the Ameripol people: It is almost universally agreed that the shittiest President of all time is either James Buchanan for causing the Civil War or Andrew Johnson for fucking up literally everything after the Civil War, but could it be that one day soon they shall be supplanted by none other than Our Benefactor Donald Trump?

Vote now, and prove to me once again that democracy is a wretched lie.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17718 on: January 19, 2017, 12:42:21 am »

Is it plausible? Yes.

Is it likely? No.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17719 on: January 19, 2017, 12:43:15 am »

Buzzfeed was alway crap, but this time, they, and CNN, are getting jumped because they aren't bending over for Trump and blindly repeating whatever he says. The "lying poo" in this case has, is, and probably will be Trump and his lackeys.
The centipede strikes the viper for the viper refuses to obey, that does not change the fact that the nature of both is venomous fangs, and it is pleasing to watch them bleed dollars. Fingers crossed, Buzzfeed and CNN gonna get gawkered in current year +2
I would prefer the casus legitation-i be something more defamatory than reporting facts.  *cough*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17720 on: January 19, 2017, 12:55:13 am »

History is going to be the ultimate judge, but yeah, somewhere between Bush 43/Nixon tier and Andrew Johnson/James Buchanan is certainly plausible.

Also, according to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States , Warren Harding is also down there, though its likely that the crash of 1929 wasn't his fault. Bush 43 is also way down there, but then again, theres a gulf of time between those ratings and Buchanan and Johnson compared to Bush 43.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17721 on: January 19, 2017, 12:56:58 am »

Is it plausible? Yes.

Is it likely? No.

Being Bush 43 tier terrible is also plausible btw, and that is actually more likely than the crappyness of Andrew Johnson and James Buchanan.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #17722 on: January 19, 2017, 01:15:21 am »

Here's a question for the Ameripol people: It is almost universally agreed that the shittiest President of all time is either James Buchanan for causing the Civil War or Andrew Johnson for fucking up literally everything after the Civil War, but could it be that one day soon they shall be supplanted by none other than Our Benefactor Donald Trump?

Vote now, and prove to me once again that democracy is a wretched lie.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I suspect Trump will not end up as bad as Andrew Johnson.

Granted that's like saying the building is on fire but at least there's a fire exit.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:17:02 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17723 on: January 19, 2017, 01:21:46 am »

By the frame of the government under which we live, this same people have wisely given their public servants but little power for mischief; and have, with equal wisdom, provided for the return of that little to their own hands at very short intervals. While the people retain their virtue and vigilance, no administration, by any extreme of wickedness or folly, can very seriously injure the government in the short space of four years.

From Lincoln's first Inaugural Address.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17724 on: January 19, 2017, 01:26:21 am »

By the frame of the government under which we live, this same people have wisely given their public servants but little power for mischief; and have, with equal wisdom, provided for the return of that little to their own hands at very short intervals. While the people retain their virtue and vigilance, no administration, by any extreme of wickedness or folly, can very seriously injure the government in the short space of four years.

And then he Genocided some Vampires!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17725 on: January 19, 2017, 01:35:38 am »

The presidency is a whole lot more powerful than it was in Lincolins time however.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17726 on: January 19, 2017, 02:20:59 am »

Rubio is the One Who Was Promised, if anybody is. His most pro-Trump move was reluctantly endorsing him for two months than dropping him like a spike-covered baby after Pussygate. This is the face of a man haunted by the world he could not save.

Quote from: Marco Rubio
I'm prepared to do what's right.

Come on you hot Cuban son of a bitch, fulfill the prophecy, do it for America!
"You underestimate the power of the GOP. I *must* obey my master"
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17727 on: January 19, 2017, 02:26:00 am »

The presidency is a whole lot more powerful than it was in Lincolins time however.

That's its own lesson. Hopefully the office isn't top powerful just yet and the lesson sinks in somewhere.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17728 on: January 19, 2017, 03:00:03 am »

Some interesting new changes for the Endangered Species Act in the works by Republicans:

In the eagles’ place, another emblematic species — the wolf — has emerged as a prime example of what critics say is wrong with the current law: seemingly endless litigation that offers federal protection for species long after government biologists conclude that they have recovered.

Wolf attacks on livestock have provoked hostility against the law, which keeps the animals off-limits to hunting in most states. Other species have attracted similar ire — Canada lynx for halting logging projects, the lesser prairie chicken for impeding oil and gas development and salmon for blocking efforts to reallocate water in California.

Reforms proposed by Republicans include placing limits on lawsuits that have been used to maintain protections for some species and force decisions on others, as well as adopting a cap on how many species can be protected and giving states a greater say in the process.
Barrasso’s predecessor, Sen. Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma, suggested in an interview that one species should be removed from the list every time another is added. Another Republican, Alaska Sen. Dan Sullivan, said he wants to limit applications for protections to one species at a time.
Some Democrats appear to support the new developments:
Some Democrats, too, have been frustrated with the law: Minnesota Rep. Collin Peterson and two other Democrats joined 11 Republicans last week on a bill to end protections for wolves in the Great Lakes and Wyoming.
Wolves in the USA are soooo going to get Darwin'd.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17729 on: January 19, 2017, 03:03:27 am »

Excuse me while I ascend to my planar form, mortal flesh is an insufficient cup with which to hold the drink of my indignation and wrath.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1180 1181 [1182] 1183 1184 ... 1249