Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389394 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: 2016, Version 2.0
« Reply #17505 on: January 15, 2017, 02:50:39 pm »

The cringiest thing is that he doesn't seem to get how laws work. The president can't just go "If Ford puts a factory in Mexico, I'm going to tax Ford cars" because that makes no sense as legislation. Having specific laws per company is a stupid concept, and it's the opposite of less red tape and regulation.

BTW one recent opinion poll estimates Trumps approval rating at 37%
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/01/10/donald-trump-barack-obama-quinnipiac-poll/96397974/
Which is basically the same as GW Bush's approval rating on the day he left office (34%), with two wars dragging out and the economy in tatters. Basically, even at this point the only people stating approval of Trump are the ~35% of die-hard partisan people who will support the Republican no matter what.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:22:47 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17506 on: January 15, 2017, 03:21:24 pm »

How the heck did Trump's approval rating drop so low? Is it that without a villain like crooked Hillary people are kind of going "Ohhhh yeah... he... really wasn't president material was he?"

I mean, he isn't really doing anything different or out of character.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17507 on: January 15, 2017, 03:26:21 pm »

I don't think there's any notable geographic things like peninsulas or whatever on the west coast.

Baja California Penninsula. The border is still contiguous and doesn't intersect the Gulf of California anyway.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17508 on: January 15, 2017, 03:28:40 pm »

How the heck did Trump's approval rating drop so low? Is it that without a villain like crooked Hillary people are kind of going "Ohhhh yeah... he... really wasn't president material was he?"

The constant childish outbursts at anyone who states disagreement can't be helping. Also, people who voted for Trump (50%) is only from a subset of "registered voters" who are again a subset of "eligible voters". With ~70% turnout and ~50% of those voting for each party, 35% is the "core" who voted for each candidate.

(Edited with more context)
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-attack-on-lewis-met-with-backlash-in-atlanta-171644389.html
Residents of Rep. John Lewis’ Georgia congressional district are firing back over Donald Trump’s assertion that it is “crime-infested.” Meanwhile, the incoming White House chief of staff defended the president-elect’s attack on Lewis, which came after the civil rights leader questioned the legitimacy of Trump’s presidency.

“Atlanta to Trump: Wrong” blared the front-page headline published by the Atlanta Journal- Constitution on Sunday, a day after Trump tweeted that Lewis should “spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results.”

Well you couldn't get much more racist if you tried. Just because the guy is black Trump automatically assumes he was elected to lead a "crime infested hell hole". Basically it's like Calcutta there.

Except not, the congressional district in question mainly consists of Fulton County (1 million inhabitants), median income of $56000, and DeKalb County (750,000 inhabitants), median income $51000. The national average is $51000.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:46:24 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17509 on: January 15, 2017, 03:35:48 pm »

The constant childish outbursts at anyone who states disagreement can't be helping.

e.g. recently he attacked a Congressman veteran of the Civil Rights Era, calling the guys district a crime-ridden hell hole that's falling apart (because he's black, you see, and all black areas are crime ridden hell holes that are falling apart). Trump was saying that guy should keep his district from exploding like Fallujah basically, before criticizing Trump.

And you see that's one of the tricks of a racist narrative. That congressman's district is apparently one of the more economically successful ones in his state, despite having a fair amount of black people. I even bought into it before reading articles explaining what bullshit it was.

I knew it was BS when he said 'burning'. And btw, he got condemnation from both sides, one congressmember even said 'Dude, just stop."

The low ratings are in part because he was already unpopular (Clinton was just ever so slightly less popular in certain states), but its also because he is president-elect-soon-to-be-inaugurated and he'll own every action that he takes.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17510 on: January 15, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »

trump is a racist, xenophobic, pathological liar, more news at 11.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17511 on: January 15, 2017, 03:40:44 pm »

What scares me a bit about Trump is that soo many of his followers believe him at face value...

Which isn't really a fault I put on his followers... But on Trump who is very irresponsible with people's lives and wellbeing.

Yes Trump, they will believe every single thing you tell them no matter how untrue, unfounded, or bigoted it is... But ever thought about what this will do to them or America as a whole? You're not going to be president forever (only 8 years).

trump is a racist, xenophobic, pathological liar, more news at 11.

It is more that he KNOWS his audience. He knows what they will buy into, their prejudices, and how to manipulate them to get them on his side.

He is also less Xenophobic and more ethnocentric to a fault... except when it comes to... other countries (Ok maybe he is Xenophobic and toxically patriotic)

---

Goodness Trump... President is the most prestigious position in all of America... And the ONLY reason the President is paid is so that he isn't required to be independently rich. You are not the boss, you are the servant to the American people.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:42:48 pm by Neonivek »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17512 on: January 15, 2017, 03:48:18 pm »

Even if Trump isabsolutely terrible (and I don't think he is savvy enough to be completely ruinous) his election at the very least make future candidates more of what the people want.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17513 on: January 15, 2017, 03:51:17 pm »

Even if Trump isabsolutely terrible (and I don't think he is savvy enough to be completely ruinous) his election at the very least make future candidates more of what the people want.

Or it could have the opposite effect and make politicians realize that there is a genuine strategy to being completely self-interested racist bigots.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17514 on: January 15, 2017, 03:56:30 pm »

He's just being massively defensive about appearing illegitimate, not that it makes all the behavior okay. So, maybe it'll cool down some after inauguration when he'll have other things to do, maybe not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17515 on: January 15, 2017, 03:57:36 pm »

He's just being massively defensive about appearing illegitimate, not that it makes all the behavior okay. So, maybe it'll cool down some after inauguration when he'll have other things to do, maybe not.

Yeah the issue right now with Trump is he has to make lots of little decisions that are all bad.

Once he is doing a few big decisions that are all bad... people will have less fuel for the fire.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17516 on: January 15, 2017, 03:58:04 pm »

(Edited with more context)
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-attack-on-lewis-met-with-backlash-in-atlanta-171644389.html
Residents of Rep. John Lewis’ Georgia congressional district are firing back over Donald Trump’s assertion that it is “crime-infested.” Meanwhile, the incoming White House chief of staff defended the president-elect’s attack on Lewis, which came after the civil rights leader questioned the legitimacy of Trump’s presidency.

“Atlanta to Trump: Wrong” blared the front-page headline published by the Atlanta Journal- Constitution on Sunday, a day after Trump tweeted that Lewis should “spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results.”

Well you couldn't get much more racist if you tried. Just because the guy is black Trump automatically assumes he was elected to lead a "crime infested hell hole". Basically it's like Calcutta there.

Except not, the congressional district in question mainly consists of Fulton County (1 million inhabitants), median income of $56000, and DeKalb County (750,000 inhabitants), median income $51000. The national average is $51000.

Did you actually look at the congressional district, though? Or just the county, which is not the same thing?

http://www.ajc.com/news/gen-politics/trump-trashes-john-lewis-district-things-know-about-5th-congressional-district/6ud2uFWqgOU0RF7vRaIpJP/

Like, there's some assumptions being made there about why he called the place crime-infested. I find it much more probable that he called it crime-infested because it's a city than because he's black.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17517 on: January 15, 2017, 03:58:55 pm »

We've been over that: he received fewer votes than his opponent, so more people don't want what he's peddling.

He has legitimized overtly bigoted positions, too. Not great, regardless of how his presidency turns out.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17518 on: January 15, 2017, 04:01:15 pm »

Is Calcutta a hellhole? I've never been there, so, I don't know.

Rio de Janeiro might be a better one to use, since I know a bit more about Rio than Calcutta.

@Rolepgeek: It's BOTH because it's a city and because Lewis is black.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17519 on: January 15, 2017, 04:10:05 pm »

@Rolepgeek: It's BOTH because it's a city and because Lewis is black.
No! You don't get to make that assumption! Trump does enough explicit shit that you don't need to try and find more in every little thing he does! The fact that he's basically saying Lewis is incompetent because Lewis criticized him is bad enough, there's nothing there that makes it about race explicitly, and when the place actually does in fact have elevated levels of crime, it's hard to say it's fucking dogwhistling.

Trump's wrong about Lewis not attending to his own district given the rates at which crime has dropped there, but he does that to anyone who criticizes, regardless of race, gender, or politics.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 1249