Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389461 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: 2016, Version 2.0
« Reply #17490 on: January 15, 2017, 01:05:09 pm »

RAISE FENCE just doesn't have quite the same xenophobic sheen as BUILD WALL, I'm afraid. Please turn in your meme card.

Build a wall with a big beutiful gate on it for people to come in /legally/

Yeah xenophobic zeal gata make them mexicans obey our laws, the next Hitler!

You also don't need to build a wall to do that. A pissing expensive wall. I'm sure there aren't other things the money could be spent on, like improving the quality of the border force or anything like that.

I mean, there's sea on both sides, and the wall won't go all the way down, so it takes a bit more effort to tunnel under it. It won't deter anyone who isn't dedicated to get through. Like those human traffickers or drug cartels.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17491 on: January 15, 2017, 01:06:13 pm »

Eh, no. They're backpedaling. Because it cannot be done in any reasonable fashion. It was simply too stupid to do.

isn't he using retail price for concrete tho? it is missing the cost for leveling out the whole thing and prepare the ground, so I'm gonna guess it's a tall order anyway.

Yeah, that concrete price sounds extremely expensive.

Might be taking into account the logistics of getting the concrete to the site? Most of the border is pretty far from cities, so far that it would be cheaper to make the concrete on site.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17492 on: January 15, 2017, 01:08:11 pm »

RAISE FENCE just doesn't have quite the same xenophobic sheen as BUILD WALL, I'm afraid. Please turn in your meme card.

You also don't need to build a wall to do that. A pissing expensive wall. I'm sure there aren't other things the money could be spent on, like improving the quality of the border force or anything like that.

I mean, there's sea on both sides, and the wall won't go all the way down, so it takes a bit more effort to tunnel under it. It won't deter anyone who isn't dedicated to get through. Like those human traffickers or drug cartels.

Ok so lets disscuss a better solution as apposed to labelling pro-wall people Xenophobes
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17493 on: January 15, 2017, 01:14:15 pm »

Not on both sides of the border, ya silly.... It's not like the English Channel or anything. There IS a significant water barrier though, the Rio Grande river, which makes up the Texas-Mexico border. However, given the need to preserve the ecosystem of the region, building a fence on one side of it's banks is going to be a problem.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17494 on: January 15, 2017, 01:26:44 pm »

The law is only ever a matter of practicality, falling back on it as an ideal in this matter is meaningless without results. The policy support of the wall (and associated mass deportation) can only be meaningfully sourced in xenophobia, if one was actually interested in the wellfare of immigrants or even just the average adherence to the law as written it would be clear that the wall does not fix any problem with immigration. It's a wall, all it can do even if successful as Trump claims is be an extreme treatment of a symptom, and will in no way alter our immigration sources. Not to mention we already built a wall before and it did nothing.

The wall is ultimately an emotional appeal, and that emotion is contempt.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17495 on: January 15, 2017, 01:35:04 pm »

I think you missed the point I was trying to make...

lets disscuss a better solution as apposed to labelling pro-wall people Xenophobes

Did you not notice how far name calling got the left this election? Fucking no were.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:38:35 pm by Sprin »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17496 on: January 15, 2017, 01:35:55 pm »

For reference's sake, let's find out how well does the fence between Morocco and the city of Melilla (Spain) work

OOPS!

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17497 on: January 15, 2017, 01:40:38 pm »

I think you missed the point I was trying to make...

lets disscuss a better solution as apposed to labelling pro-wall people Xenophobes

Did you not notice how far name calling got the left this election? Fucking nowere.
Yawn, everybody's got their own pet theory on what did fucked the election, I'm not convinced of anything on the individual scale doing that, not even Clinton gaffing all over the place. After all, Trump did more name calling and look where it got him. Every election is on the rails of the overarching zeitgeist more than anything else.

More importantly, this isn't name calling. This is just clear description. It's like saying you don't have to be racist to support Jim Crow, you just think the law should be separate but equal for all races. There exists a clear and identifiable intention behind the idea of the wall and the behaviors of its top supporters.

Oh, and besides, we're all about raising the fence now.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:42:32 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17498 on: January 15, 2017, 01:41:39 pm »

Oh for fucks sake

Fine whatever
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hope he wins in 2020
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:49:15 pm by Sprin »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17499 on: January 15, 2017, 01:44:59 pm »

We can work to make it easier to get in legally by all means but its hardly xenophobic for people to think the border should be secure, especially considering the human traficers and drug cartels.

The problem is the drug demand is what drives the trade. Cutting supply doesn't work. It just pushes up prices, which incentivized worse behavior.

e.g. say your border wall stops cocaine getting in, then the price skyrockets, meaning that if you can get through your profits are even better than before, it makes the remaining routes more sought-after thus boosting the killing, and the higher prices lead to people switching to different drugs. e.g. meth. Then suddenly you've got twice as many meth labs inside the USA, people killing each other over said meth labs, and you've imported the crime problem.

One of the problems with using price to try and deter drug users (which is how supply interdiction is supposed to work) is that there's a thing called "stealing" which drug users do. If the price rises, you just incentivize more of this "stealing" to pay for the drugs. Sure, if the price rises enough we might just hit "peak stealing" where there are so many drug users stealing stuff that there's nothing left to steal and they're stealing from each other, but we've yet to hit that point. And do we really want to hit the "nothing left that's not nailed down" point that would finally stop drug crime?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:49:09 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17500 on: January 15, 2017, 01:45:58 pm »

Oh for fucks sake

Fine whatever
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope he wins in 2020
MSH's point is that the wall is pointless
He's arguing that "the Wall" will do fuck all to stop illegal immigration and is just a base appeal to deporting dem foreigner catholics bak 2 mexico instead of genuine concern for the law, crime or welfare

The problem is the drug demand is what drives the trade. Cutting supply doesn't work. It just pushes up prices, which incentivized worse behavior.

e.g. say your border wall stops cocaine getting in, then the price skyrockets, meaning that if you can get through your profits are even better than before, it makes the remaining routes more sought-after thus boosting the killing, and the higher prices lead to people switching to different drugs. e.g. meth. Then suddenly you've got twice as many meth labs inside the USA, people killing each other over said meth labs, and you've imported the crime problem.
Exactly. USA needs to cut down its dude weed lmao culture, starting with the elites who popularize the drugs but get away with doing them in front of cameras becuz money

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17501 on: January 15, 2017, 01:46:54 pm »

We can work to make it easier to get in legally by all means but its hardly xenophobic for people to think the border should be secure, especially considering the human traficers and drug cartels.

I recommended ending the drug war earlier

I was just stating instead of going the whole "RACISM YOUR RACIST" root prepose a better solution.
(So hard I know 9_9)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:01:42 pm by Sprin »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17502 on: January 15, 2017, 01:50:29 pm »

Not on both sides of the border, ya silly....

I realise that was poorly communicated :))

I meant the coastline, rather than there's sea between the two countries. There's sea around 'em. Gulf of Mexico and... the Pacific Ocean, I don't think there's any notable geographic things like peninsulas or whatever on the west coast.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17503 on: January 15, 2017, 02:01:24 pm »

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/saturday-night-live-mock-trump-dossier-in-hilarious-alec-baldwin-sketch/news-story/a8666cdfd61eb4646129d9623a9532c2

I’m going to bring back a thick stream of jobs. The biggest, strongest, steadiest stream you’ve ever seen. This country will be literally showered with jobs because I’m a major whiz at jobs. This will be a golden opportunity for me as president to make a big splash.

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see how Trump does on economics. I've heard politicians promise to run governments "like a business" before but it never ends well. That's because running a business is all about maximizing personal profits while offloading your costs to other people as much as possible. Exploiting externalities is one of the key tricks to running a successful business.

If you actually ran the government like it was a business then you'd jack up prices for all services until you hit peak profits, while ramping up taxes until you hit the peak return there. It would basically be like the USSR if you actually thought the government was a business.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:07:07 pm by Reelya »

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17504 on: January 15, 2017, 02:12:00 pm »

Oh god Trumps protectionism makes me cringe x-x
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:13:36 pm by Sprin »
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 1249