Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1145 1146 [1147] 1148 1149 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387544 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: 2016, Version 2.0
« Reply #17190 on: January 12, 2017, 08:33:46 am »

EU is made up of nations full of different, paranoid people. USA is made up of states full of same people, trusting people
I am not paranoid. Who told you that? Who is trying to frame me?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17191 on: January 12, 2017, 08:40:13 am »

EU is made up of nations full of different, paranoid people. USA is made up of states full of same people, trusting people
I am not paranoid. Who told you that? Who is trying to frame me?
WHO DO YOU WORK FOR

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #17192 on: January 12, 2017, 09:02:55 am »

WHERE IS HE. WGERE IS HEEEE.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #17193 on: January 12, 2017, 09:06:25 am »

You can get away with fairer systems in USA

I see, you actually elected Trump to make us feel better about ourselves! I should never have doubted the glorious US of A.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17194 on: January 12, 2017, 09:38:53 am »

Hmm. The BBC reports that it's not just the former MI6 agent. Apparently the CIA confirmed to the BBC reporter Paul Wood, that they have multiple videos of Trump 'with sexual content' which were taped during his 2013 visit to Russia.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/bbc-medewerkers-cia-hebben-bevestigd-dat-er-meerdere-trump-seksvideo-s-zijn~a4447246/

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17195 on: January 12, 2017, 09:46:31 am »

Hmm. The BBC reports that it's not just the former MI6 agent. Apparently the CIA confirmed to the BBC reporter Paul Wood, that they have multiple videos of Trump 'with sexual content' which were taped during his 2013 visit to Russia.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/bbc-medewerkers-cia-hebben-bevestigd-dat-er-meerdere-trump-seksvideo-s-zijn~a4447246/

Claims about a Russian blackmail tape were made in one of a series of reports written by a former British intelligence agent.As a member of MI6, he had been posted to the UK's embassy in Moscow and now runs a consultancy giving advice on doing business in Russia. He spoke to a number of his old contacts in the FSB, the successor to the KGB, paying some of them for information.
They told him that Mr Trump had been filmed with a group of prostitutes in the presidential suite of Moscow's Ritz-Carlton hotel.
I know this because the Washington political research company that commissioned his report showed it to me during the final week of the election campaign.
The BBC decided not to use it then, for the very good reason that without seeing the tape - if it exists - we could not know if the claims were true.
The BBC have no such confirmation

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17196 on: January 12, 2017, 10:15:04 am »

"cut out the votes Clinton got in California and Trump has more of the popular vote". California does have the reputation of being democrat central and going blue every time.

Well sure, this is technically true. But you might as well say cut out votes trump got in Texas and Clinton wins the electoral collage.

At one point Clinton's lead in California was larger than her total lead.  So, you could say that Trump won the popular vote everywhere except California.  Not that that means anything any more than "Clinton Won the Popular Vote" is a statement with meaning.

On the other hand, if Trump had not won Texas, neither candidate would have had 270 votes, so neither candidate would have won the electoral college.

Trump won because according to the rules he won.

The rules are pretty standard for a federation : each members got a share of the vote, proportional but not directly proportional to their population.
For all the ridicule you're giving to the argument "the election were rigged we won the popular vote" you aren't behaving any better by insisting that the election "ought to be proportional" for no reasons.

The only reason it isn't proportional is because in 18th-century southerners would have torn the country apart if they didn't get to use their slaves as political pawns even as they stole their lives. The electoral college is a vestige of that, and nothing more.

No, the proportional vs static representation thing was a compromise between large states (New York & Virginia) and small states (Rhode Island and Delaware).  You are improperly conflating it with the 3/5ths compromise where for both taxation and representation only 60% of the enslaved population was counted.

The electoral college is irrelevant since it's basically a number of vote for each states.
The fact that the number of vote each state has doesn't directly matches the population of the state is normal.
In Europe, the number of representative you get isn't proportional to the population of each countries either. That's a pretty obvious step you have to take if you don't want the most populous members of the union lording too much over the smaller ones.

You can get away with fairer systems in USA

Considering how much distrust there is between California and Iowa, or Maryland and Utah, I don't think that "fairer" systems would fly here.  Also, the general population in the US during the 1780s was incredibly paranoid.  Hence the bill of rights.  Even more so, hence the revolutionary war.  When the constitution was first proposed, the various states might as well have been different countries.  One of the key differences between the US and the EU is that the US constitution gives all power over immigration and naturalization to the federal government whereas the EU leaves that power to the various member states.  So, in the US, anyone who is a citizen of any state becomes a citizen of a different state when they change their residence.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17197 on: January 12, 2017, 11:44:48 am »

"cut out the votes Clinton got in California and Trump has more of the popular vote". California does have the reputation of being democrat central and going blue every time.

Well sure, this is technically true. But you might as well say cut out votes trump got in Texas and Clinton wins the electoral collage.

At one point Clinton's lead in California was larger than her total lead.  So, you could say that Trump won the popular vote everywhere except California.  Not that that means anything any more than "Clinton Won the Popular Vote" is a statement with meaning.

On the other hand, if Trump had not won Texas, neither candidate would have had 270 votes, so neither candidate would have won the electoral college.

"Clinton won the popular vote" has a meaning in that it means more Americans wanted her over Trump than the opposite. If we're just removing 30 millions voters for the lulz, it's possible to come with any number of map where Clinton would win the electoral college vote.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17198 on: January 12, 2017, 12:42:42 pm »

Claims about a Russian blackmail tape were made in one of a series of reports written by a former British intelligence agent.As a member of MI6, he had been posted to the UK's embassy in Moscow and now runs a consultancy giving advice on doing business in Russia. He spoke to a number of his old contacts in the FSB, the successor to the KGB, paying some of them for information.
They told him that Mr Trump had been filmed with a group of prostitutes in the presidential suite of Moscow's Ritz-Carlton hotel.
I know this because the Washington political research company that commissioned his report showed it to me during the final week of the election campaign.
The BBC decided not to use it then, for the very good reason that without seeing the tape - if it exists - we could not know if the claims were true.
The BBC have no such confirmation
But they do http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38589427
Later, I used an intermediary to pass some questions to active duty CIA officers dealing with the case file - they would not speak to me directly. I got a message back that there was "more than one tape", "audio and video", on "more than one date", in "more than one place" - in the Ritz-Carlton in Moscow and also in St Petersburg - and that the material was "of a sexual nature".
My Volkskrant would never dare to put words into the mouth of the BBC. They were somewhat late with adding the link to the BBC article in their own article though. Back when I posted there was no link yet.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:44:48 pm by martinuzz »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17199 on: January 12, 2017, 01:01:10 pm »

Lets all watch the trump pr0n then.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17200 on: January 12, 2017, 01:18:22 pm »

Ah, I was worried at first that Trump would be too much of a loose cannon to manipulate, but, thanks to the objective and free Western media, I now fully know that Russia has enough compromat to pull his strings like a puppetmaster, no doubts being able to conduct any kind of pro-Russian activity in USA, such as, for example, dismantling all American nukes!

If he can survive the current scandal without being impeached, that is.
._.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17201 on: January 12, 2017, 01:25:11 pm »

Ah, I was worried at first that Trump would be too much of a loose cannon to manipulate, but, thanks to the objective and free Western media, I now fully know that Russia has enough compromat to pull his strings like a puppetmaster, no doubts being able to conduct any kind of pro-Russian activity in USA, such as, for example, dismantling all American nukes!

If he can survive the current scandal without being impeached, that is.

Even if this was real, I don't think having sex is an impeachable offense.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17202 on: January 12, 2017, 01:29:56 pm »

Even president sergarr wouldn't be impeachable for hisherits heinous sexual acts.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17203 on: January 12, 2017, 01:32:07 pm »

There's much more than that in the report, like allegations of actual direct collusion between Trump's campaign and Russians on a regular basis.

It's just that, for some reason, everyone is focused on a single dirty and disgusting part that is mostly irrelevant. Social media, ho!
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17204 on: January 12, 2017, 01:54:59 pm »

The big pharma companies from the US saw their stock value drop by 25 billion dollar within a few minutes after Trump accused them of murder, because they don't sell life-saving meds cheaper. Pfizer shares dropped 2.2 percent, making it the biggest DOW indexed loser, while Endo International and Perrigo even lost 8.5% share value.
Bristol Meyers-Squibb lost 5.3%.

Pages: 1 ... 1145 1146 [1147] 1148 1149 ... 1249