Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1123 1124 [1125] 1126 1127 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388046 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: 2016, Version 2.0
« Reply #16860 on: January 07, 2017, 06:38:05 pm »

Because the massive 3 electoral votes of North Dakota are a serious part of the election.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16861 on: January 07, 2017, 06:40:18 pm »

I don't think that's the point though... I think the point is 'North Dakota has a higher percentage of seats than [Rolan7's state].' It may not be a serious part of the election, but it is a point about the EC that is a bit strange.

EDIT: Ignore this. All of this.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:52:51 pm by Iceblaster »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16862 on: January 07, 2017, 06:40:39 pm »

I'm just not sure where all these Democrats are who have supposedly saying "Yeah, the EC really screwed us in 2000...  And hasn't helped us...  But we sure do like it!  Wait, it cost us 2016?  Now we suddenly hate it!"
My friends and I have been complaining about it for years.  Occasionally.  We may be nerdy, but we don't spend that much time on outdated or nonsensical election policies...  I guess we're jaded that way :P  And even so, every four years we talk about how bizarre it is.

Basically I just think it's ridiculous to say Democrats are "suddenly" complaining about the EC.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah when does that ever happen

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16863 on: January 07, 2017, 06:46:07 pm »

If slate is representative of dems can we say breitbart is representative of republicans?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16864 on: January 07, 2017, 06:51:01 pm »

If slate is representative of dems can we say breitbart is representative of republicans?
yes

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16865 on: January 07, 2017, 06:55:25 pm »

Excellent. Sensationalist journalism, ftw.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16866 on: January 07, 2017, 07:00:45 pm »

I don't think that's the point though... I think the point is 'North Dakota has a higher percentage of seats than [Rolan7's state].' It may not be a serious part of the election, but it is a point about the EC that is a bit strange.
To clarify, they have 3 and North Best Carolina has 15.  So we have 5 times as many votes, so why should we complain?
Maybe "North Carolina" can't complain, but I can.  I'm one of 10 million citizens of NC, while ND has 750,000.
That literally means that a ND vote for president is 2.5 times more important than my vote.  That doesn't mean ND specifically is going to get bribes election-year attention...  That's still going to go to my state because we happen to be "swing".  While California gets jack.

See how arbitrary that is?  It's unfair in multiple directions at once, and for what?  What justifies this?

It technically gives the rounding-error states (ones that hit the minimum of 3 delegates) disproportionately high representation, which was not part of the original plan.  Yet they're still ignored in favor of swing states.

Why?
And why should I be the one arguing against it, when NC comes out very well?

It's, essentially, accidental Gerrymandering.  Which isn't much better than intentional Gerrymandering.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16867 on: January 07, 2017, 07:08:50 pm »

In other words, Rolan, you like to feel that sheep and wolves have equal voting power in who is for dinner.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16868 on: January 07, 2017, 07:08:59 pm »

not to mention it straight up disenfranchises millions of citizens because the happen to live in US territories. http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepresidentandcabinet/a/Puerto-Rico-And-The-Presidential-Election.htm oh sorry you millions of people who are full citizens and part of the US don't get jack shit because reasons. and we all know the real reason that republicans don't want them to be a state is because they would vote more democrat because that seems to be literally the only thing they care about. same reason they don't want to give DC statehood. cant have those people who might vote against us voting better come up with some bullshit about how it would be awful. reason #Istoppedcounting that i despise the republican party.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16869 on: January 07, 2017, 07:11:39 pm »

To clarify, they have 3 and North Best Carolina has 15.  So we have 5 times as many votes, so why should we complain?
Maybe "North Carolina" can't complain, but I can.  I'm one of 10 million citizens of NC, while ND has 750,000.
That literally means that a ND vote for president is 2.5 times more important than my vote.  That doesn't mean ND specifically is going to get bribes election-year attention...  That's still going to go to my state because we happen to be "swing".  While California gets jack.

See how arbitrary that is?  It's unfair in multiple directions at once, and for what?  What justifies this?

It technically gives the rounding-error states (ones that hit the minimum of 3 delegates) disproportionately high representation, which was not part of the original plan.  Yet they're still ignored in favor of swing states.

Why?
And why should I be the one arguing against it, when NC comes out very well?

It's, essentially, accidental Gerrymandering.  Which isn't much better than intentional Gerrymandering.

Aaah. Yeah. Honestly, I slashed out my post because I didn't think through my statement. But it seems the original post at least seems to make sense.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16870 on: January 07, 2017, 07:12:30 pm »

not to mention it straight up disenfranchises millions of citizens because the happen to live in US territories. http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepresidentandcabinet/a/Puerto-Rico-And-The-Presidential-Election.htm oh sorry you millions of people who are full citizens and part of the US don't get jack shit because reasons. and we all know the real reason that republicans don't want them to be a state is because they would vote more democrat because that seems to be literally the only thing they care about. same reason they don't want to give DC statehood. cant have those people who might vote against us voting better come up with some bullshit about how it would be awful. reason #Istoppedcounting that i despise the republican party.
Just make it a state innit

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16871 on: January 07, 2017, 07:14:59 pm »

Just make it a state innit
as if they haven't been trying for decades.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16872 on: January 07, 2017, 07:15:38 pm »

I am perfectly fine with virgin islands, puerto rico, micronesia and pals becoming states.

I can see the republican PARTY (the political whackjobs in DC) being uptight about it because "muh elections!!", but giving those people the power to vote is only a good thing as far as I am concerned.

I am much more disturbed by the whole "Look, there is a fucking shitton more of us than there are of you, so shut the fuck up and do as we fucking say, you backward hillbillies" that is more or less impossible to avoid with removal of the EC system, than I am about giving those people the power to vote.

When I hear complaints about "Why should your vote count 3x what mine does, despite there being so few of you in comparison to my demographic!?", what I hear is "Why does my vote to eat you count 1/3 what your vote to not be eaten does!? There are 3X as many of us wolves! Dont our votes count!?"

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16873 on: January 07, 2017, 07:17:31 pm »

@ More States

honestly, i have no idea. all i can think of is 'oh god if the number isn't even, the flag'll look horrible.' :P

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16874 on: January 07, 2017, 07:21:46 pm »

@ More States

honestly, i have no idea. all i can think of is 'oh god if the number isn't even, the flag'll look horrible.' :P
do we really need two Dakotas? why not just make one Dakota and then we can continue not paying attention to it.
Pages: 1 ... 1123 1124 [1125] 1126 1127 ... 1249