Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388544 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And Canada has an even "weaker" (and yet stronger so to speak) identity then even America.

Yet it sort of speaks to the direction America might take. Towards the idea that its different cultures ARE its identity, rather then trying to seek out a shared unified culture.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Not so fast, social dissatisfaction grows in canadia every day. Canadia might be getting its own Trump soon, as the canadian political climate is slowly shifting to the right.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not so fast, social dissatisfaction grows in canadia every day. Canadia might be getting its own Trump soon, as the canadian political climate is slowly shifting to the right.

I am not sure that is due to racial tension.

Not that Canada has no Racial tension (just look at the number of police we send to sensitivity training)... but to my knowledge it is more due to the government's inability to govern lately.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh no, racial tension is certainly less of an issue in canadia, but believe me, nobody is escaping mr bones wild ride, where racial tension isn't a thing, political polarization will do its work.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile

Snip

I think here it helps to separate a man from his country. To be "American" is different from "America" the state.

"America" conjures the vision of flag-waving white Yankees, the power of the American industry, it's rolling fields and plains. At least, that what it means to me. So when Trump says he's going to bring that back, he's hoping to bring back that idyllic state of Liberty. It's honestly a good slogan.

But, to be American... It's hard to say just what that means. An American is industrious? No, they are fat lazy slobs apparently. Americans are just? No, they just meddle in the affairs of international politics. Are they attuned to technology? No, most people struggle to just turn on their Iphones. Are we white? No, we've got a blob of different people. Everyone is different. Everyone is special.

So what is an American?

It's a fill in the blank that changes on your mood.

-Snap-
Indeed. To be multicultural and accepting is important, but there has to be an underlying identity for any acceptance to happen. We have to have our house in order, or at least, in a phase of stable flux. But because we don't share any identity, we don't trust one another as well as we should. Because we don't trust each other, we don't feel socially responsible for one another. That's a big, big problem.

-Snop-
Aye. But at least when you say Canadian, it tends to conjure positive motifs. Maple syrup, apologizing, general friendliness; all that is good eh? Hockey being the sole sport in existence tends to help as well I imagine. There may be some storms to weather up north... But I don't think it will be nearly so bad.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

wtf why libs torturing maga ppl

maga ppl have guns

this is like some next level psyops to start civil war

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I seriously doubt those four are going to become the face of Liberal Americatm. Though they aren't the only liberals that have been lashing out, they are in the extreme minority that have resorted to violence in any form.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

I seriously doubt those four are going to become the face of Liberal Americatm. Though they aren't the only liberals that have been lashing out, they are in the extreme minority that have resorted to violence in any form.
You underestimate the power of conservative media greatly
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, my local ABC station mentioned it, but only briefly. I'm guessing it'll take until tomorrow for them to put together proper coverage, they just can't move as quickly to cover an incident as internet people (like us here today) can spread the video of it amongst ourselves.

You'll note the timestamps on those articles, smjjames. They literally had not been posted yet when OSG made his post.

Although the FOX affiliate that aired it was a local station. So, them being first before national news picks it up isn't that weird. If you look at the FOX article, it went up at 5pm on the 4th (CST). The CNN article went up at 1533 GMT, which is 930am CST the next day . Basically they ran with that story as soon as office-time started. Yeah, Infowars picked up the story overnight, but that's because they're staffed by amateurs, who almost certainly have different day jobs, and post things in the evening after they get home. Whereas CNN is staffed by professional journalists who are in the office from 9-5. Probably CNN thought it was a big enough story to run, but not a "hold the presses" type story where they're calling in the staff afterhours to write it up.

That's something to think about: does the 24 hour news cycle create unrealistic expectations about how promptly stories are spread? It's not like this was a need-to-know story or anything, and if CNN was going to do any fact-checking they'd need to wait until they can make phone calls and get emails answered in the daytime anyway. We often complain that news outlets don't fact-check stories they disseminate from other sources, but then we paradoxically slam the same outlets for not instantly parroting the stories we're getting on other outlets.

Also, I don't think "f- donald trump" necessarily tells you anything about a person's policy views.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:20:17 am by Reelya »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile

If they can, they will, spin it. Breitbart and other Pro-White Nationalist institutions can and will use this against African Americans for certain. Liberals, less so, given that is a far more open field.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile

Whole situation is beyond fucked. And now the police are saying they don't think it's racially motivated.

Utter bullshit. If four whites kidnapped and tortured a black kid while shouting "fuck Obama" and "fuck blacks" there would be fucking riots.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

mfw saying "fuck this racial group in particular" isn't racially charged agression.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Whole situation is beyond fucked. And now the police are saying they don't think it's racially motivated.

Utter bullshit. If four whites kidnapped and tortured a black kid while shouting "fuck Obama" and "fuck blacks" there would be fucking riots.
Source for police statement? I don't want to believe

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

let's wait before judging police statements. if it waere race, it'd be hate crime. if the motive is abusing a disabled person, it's aggravated kidnapping. the difference goes from 10 to 30 years, so there's that.
Pages: 1 ... 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 ... 1249