Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1107 1108 [1109] 1110 1111 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388511 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

The police may not treat it as a hate crime because 'Kids do dumb shit yo' (taken from the now-edited CNN article).

I wonder if there'd be any question of it being a hate crime if it were four white people torturing a mentally disabled black man and shouting 'Fuck Obama, fuck black people'.
While you're not wrong, I'd ask you to consider which group has a rather long history of being lynched in this country. Unless you believe that it has no influence whatsoever on what is considered a hate crime.

What I wanna ask though is about that whole social trends and justification of supporting certain policies thing: Would said undesirable results occur in the other direction, do you think? I mean, more than they already do, that is.

But yeah this is a hate crime, period. If not race-based, partisan-based. Partisanship in the sense of bias, prejudice, or hatred is barely a step above racism. And the only reason it's above at all is because you can make an argument that being an asshole to people based on things that are partially their choice is less of a terrible thing to do than being an asshole to people for things completely beyond their control.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

BLM would go absolutely crazy.
Would you blame them for that though?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

One news site released all their Facebook pages. Two are unpublished/banned/private, one has comments disabled and one is getting absolutely flooded. Just glancing at the comment sections and other headlines, alt-right rag through and through.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile

Oh, it looks like extreme demonization of a certain demographic can cause peoples to act on it, who would have thought!

And by the way Rolepgeek, the stats of "disfranchised class" on "not disfranchised class" crime will usually be higher, at least in societies respecting humans right. So that argument won't convince anyone. And isn't even really related to the matter at hand.

But hey, the false left behind BLM has what it want : things are even less likely to change and American society is even more fractured and easy to control. Well played democrats establishment, well played.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Oh gee, that doesn't look like a hyperbolic site at all. Let's hope they doxxed the real perpetrators, at least. Odds of that are much lower than you'd think.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Oh, it looks like extreme demonization of a certain demographic can cause peoples to act on it, who would have thought!

And by the way Rolepgeek, the stats of "disfranchised class" on "not disfranchised class" crime will usually be higher, at least in societies respecting humans right. So that argument won't convince anyone. And isn't even really related to the matter at hand.

But hey, the false left behind BLM has what it want : things are even less likely to change and American society is even more fractured and easy to control. Well played democrats establishment, well played.

Only you could turn a gang of thugs committing a hate crime on a disabled person into a grand Democrat conspiracy
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:35:49 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile

I wouldn't say that, plenty of people are capable of deciding that. :P

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only you could turn a gang of thugs committing a hate crime on a disabled person into a grand Democrat conspiracy

You know, when irresponsible republican were putting crosshairs on Democrat target, it wasn't hard to have you admit that the murder that followed was their responsibility.
Now that peoples heve been widely irresponsible in their handling of BML and demonization of Trump supporters (Fascists, Nazi, racists, homophobes,...) somehow there is no links.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

You know, when irresponsible republican were putting crosshairs on Democrat target, it wasn't hard to have you admit that the murder that followed was their responsibility.
Now that peoples heve been widely irresponsible in their handling of BML and demonization of Trump supporters (Fascists, Nazi, racists, homophobes,...) somehow there is no links.

Today Professor Phmcw teaches the class about the newly-discovered form of logic, carefully extracted from the finest internet forums: Bullshit.

(Also I don't think the republican party are responsible for what right-wing extremists do so you can give back all that smug you stole from us lefties)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I am a leftie, but one that actually isn't just in for the tribe, and if you don't think that you're responsible for violence when you spend time demonizing someone and wondering "Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?" then I cannot do anything for you.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

When so much energy is spent chanelling anger and the fault of all problems into an outgroup or another, things will turn to shit eventualy. As if history hasn't given us enough examples by now. The moment a person tags other people as acceptable targets for hatred and violence is the moment said person should know that he fucked up and should shut up and sit down.

And no, unlike your average MTV watching blue haired tumblr acquaince might think, racism does go both ways. You can't be magically less (or not) racist by practicing racially and politically motivated against someone of lighter skin than you.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:56:15 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Angry peoples do dumb, unproductive things.

Hiring enough social workers and teachers, setting up a decent and not too exploitable social security net, train policemens to be good at their jobs and not to use violence and intimidation all the time, while still keeping their support and keeping their work conditions acceptable,...

It takes skills, patience, money,... it's better to blame dumb, obese, white caravan dwellers for the very obvious institutional issues, to blame the cops, to blame the Russian,... than to actually admit that, yes, there is work to do, yes, the corporation cannot just suck society dry, yes, a politician actually have to be good at his job and no, all money is not easy.

But both political parties are financed by the parasites of the economy.

So no, you won't have change. You won't have the reform that literally every other developed country have, nothing that we found through our experience with more social policies, and we won't get to keep it either. The future is bordeless, ultra-capitialistic neo-liberal, and you won't have your say in it.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile

I think, if there is any way we may get past this era, we have got to find a way to remake the American identity to encompass as many people as we can. We as a people have become caught up in the ways we are different insomuch that we do not acknowledge what ties that are common between us all.

I believe, that if we are to finally do away with this nonsense, we have to also do away with placing ourselves as separate from one another on any level we can find it. We have to strike that accord quickly, lest we end up falling into a chasm of further hatred against one another.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

Well that's the thing about any group: there's always going to be an outgroup, that isn't the same as you.

The ideal of being "American" is too ingrained in politics to be changed or removed that easily anyway. It's something that's very easy to appeal to for politicians, so they're not going to give that up (Make America Great Again!) and it's the identity of pretty much the entire nation, to varying degrees.

Some are also willing to go to fairly extreme ends to defend what they think it means (like the Bundies) so any attempt to change it also has to take that into account.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think, if there is any way we may get past this era, we have got to find a way to remake the American identity to encompass as many people as we can. We as a people have become caught up in the ways we are different insomuch that we do not acknowledge what ties that are common between us all.

I believe, that if we are to finally do away with this nonsense, we have to also do away with placing ourselves as separate from one another on any level we can find it. We have to strike that accord quickly, lest we end up falling into a chasm of further hatred against one another.

That's what the American identity is supposed to be, but different people have different views. The thing that makes the American identity different from say, German, or French, or British, or Russian, or Chinese identity is that it's tied to an idea rather than an ethnicity.

But yeah, I agree that things have become too tribalistic (even though that's pretty much default behavior for humans) and divided with partianship, among other things, but the hyperpartianship is driving it hard.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:54:01 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 1107 1108 [1109] 1110 1111 ... 1249