Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1396197 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16140 on: December 23, 2016, 01:26:46 pm »

I live in a manufacturing area so I'm probably toast if DOLAN J DRUMPF destroys the world.
Shoes...

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16141 on: December 23, 2016, 01:42:43 pm »

I live in one of the few sections of the continental US not expected to be hit by significant fallout in the event of global thermonuclear war. :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16142 on: December 23, 2016, 02:26:48 pm »

On the topic of firey death, use this fun toy to learn how fuck you are!

For me, if a nuke hit my nearest big city i am in the "50% chance of 1st degree burn" zone! so, depending on the wind, i'm only minorly fucked!
Oh that's interesting. Apparently, I'll be OK in the case of Nuclear Terrorism, at least, since no one is going to hit residential areas like mine over the world trade center or something.

It also looks like bombs produced by the likes of India and Pakistan aren't enough to reach from Lower Manhattan to where I live, although given the city involved I shudder to imagine the consequences of "most residential buildings collapse" on lower manhattan. It seems like at a minimum, the largest Nuclear device detonated by the French is necessary to inflict injuries on me.

Although looking at the "Ivy Mike", the first ever H-bomb tested, gives you a real feel for how the H-Bomb completely invalidated the concerns the military had about ICBMs being inaccurate at long-range, because their yield was so great it didn't matter whether you hit the city or the suburb. The Thermal Radiation from that could reach me at college, nevermind when I'm at home! You could miss entirely and hit Staten Island and the entire city would still suffer burns. And the sight of "At 20 psi overpressure, heavily built concrete buildings are severely damaged or demolished; fatalities approach 100%." over most of Manhattan is worrying.

Oh hey it was a checker for wind effects on fallout, the number of hospitals and fireplaces struck, a calculator of the size of the crater, and even a casualty calculator. This has reminded me that the  fallout from a terrorist attack would affect me because of the wind. Fuckies.
Casualty counter for a terrorist attack (ignoring fallout):
Estimated fatalities:
Estimated injuries:

Let's try the French weapon now.
Estimated fatalities:
Estimated injuries:

How about China's current ICBMs?
Estimated fatalities:
Estimated injuries:

I'm almost certainly one of those nameless millions. Welll alright, for completeness sake, tell me what happens if the first H-Bomb ever tested was dropped here.
Estimated fatalities:
Estimated injuries:
This is actually lower than the previous, but that count doesn't include the much greater fallout effects. That seems quite relevant because the fallout map is a streak of deadly radiation reaching all the way into Massachusetts, with less deadly "kill you slowly" radiation reaching up into Maine. There are people in Hartford and New Haven being exposed to 1000 rads in an hour, they wouldn't survive this scenario; while Boston is looking at between 10-100 rads depending on where you live.

EDIT: I just spent like 30 minutes nuking every major city I could find in the US with Cuban Missile Crisis Era Soviet Missiles. Out of a hundred missiles, casualties are about 30 million. Disappointing, honestly, but there's not accounting for fallout; that's just the initial deaths. Injuries exceed 53 million.
I live in one of the few sections of the continental US not expected to be hit by significant fallout in the event of global thermonuclear war. :V
I promise you that if I was in charge of direting the Russian Nuclear targets, you would be. I made sure to spread the love.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:28:55 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16143 on: December 23, 2016, 02:32:29 pm »

Don't forget that usually there are multiple warheads directed at major targets, since missile defense systems/jammers and imperfect reentry guidance systems means they want to make sure they hit the target/saturate it.

A third of the US getting killed or injured would basically destroy all civilization in the vicinity, tho. Don't forget how little infrastructure would be left.

Now go see what would happen if the US struck at it's enemies...:P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16144 on: December 23, 2016, 02:42:03 pm »

Don't forget that usually there are multiple warheads directed at major targets, since missile defense systems/jammers and imperfect reentry guidance systems means they want to make sure they hit the target/saturate it.

A third of the US getting killed or injured would basically destroy all civilization in the vicinity, tho. Don't forget how little infrastructure would be left.

It also just occurred to me that when I said "suffer injuries/burns", what it actually said was "the distance at which likelihood of receiving Third Degree Burns is 100%". Whoops. That's a little more serious than "some burns".

I'll check what the US can inflict on it's enemies after lunch. This reminds me of playing DEFCON.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16145 on: December 23, 2016, 03:56:28 pm »

On the topic of firey death, use this fun toy to learn how fuck you are!

For me, if a nuke hit my nearest big city i am in the "50% chance of 1st degree burn" zone! so, depending on the wind, i'm only minorly fucked!
aw yeah I have a small chance of living with 3rd degree burns until the radioactive water gets me thyroid

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16146 on: December 23, 2016, 04:17:01 pm »

Dont forget the leukemia peak 5 years afterwards

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16147 on: December 23, 2016, 06:53:22 pm »

It also just occurred to me that when I said "suffer injuries/burns", what it actually said was "the distance at which likelihood of receiving Third Degree Burns is 100%". Whoops. That's a little more serious than "some burns".

I'll check what the US can inflict on it's enemies after lunch. This reminds me of playing DEFCON.

The hiroshima bomb burned the patterns in people's clothing onto their skin from more than a mile away.
Shoes...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16148 on: December 23, 2016, 07:35:38 pm »

So, Trump just appointed his business attorney to manage international negotiations and crisises. I think his conflicts of interest are trying to loop over onto themselves. Though the guy has worked with Trump for over two decades, and so, knows Trump well, so, there's that. The position is supposed to be Trumps diplomatic representative for diplomatic and international negotiations and will be working on stuff like Israel-Palestine, Cuba, and other stuff.

Google news search with a bunch of other sources with additional scattered information.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16149 on: December 23, 2016, 08:17:27 pm »

Something tells me that will be a very demanding position to have, what with Trump's loose lips (and tiny typing fingers)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #16150 on: December 23, 2016, 09:22:49 pm »

Texas Arrest Video

Gotta say, I'm with the police on this one. They get called over a minor domestic issue that is already long ended when the call is made, officer shows up, three women gang up on him getting in his face and yell and insult him relentlessly, so he arrests the women. Maybe he could have chosen his words a bit more eloquently when dealing with them, but I still feel like he was completely justified in everything he did.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16151 on: December 23, 2016, 10:27:16 pm »

Texas Arrest Video

Gotta say, I'm with the police on this one. They get called over a minor domestic issue that is already long ended when the call is made, officer shows up, three women gang up on him getting in his face and yell and insult him relentlessly, so he arrests the women. Maybe he could have chosen his words a bit more eloquently when dealing with them, but I still feel like he was completely justified in everything he did.

There's actually already a thread for discussing this kind of thing, dropped back a couple pages, I'll find and link it.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142812.0 I know the thread title is liberal biased, but it's become the place to discuss that kind of thing as far as police go, theres both sides of the discussion over there.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:47:06 pm by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16152 on: December 23, 2016, 11:47:10 pm »

The hiroshima bomb burned the patterns in people's clothing onto their skin from more than a mile away.
I don't need to be told. My professor devoted a few days to the topic. I've seen the images. Read the accounts. The stories of those who survived. The pictures of the Christian Churches, with the stone angels with their faces wiped off.

My point was that what the website merely described as "Thermal Radiation" was actually a gradation. They have different setting for "Maximum distance with 100% probability Third Degree burns" and "maximum distance with 100% probability safety from any burns" and everything in between.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16153 on: December 23, 2016, 11:52:39 pm »

I'd rather have a mountain, or at least the earth itself between me and the radiation coming from a nuke.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16154 on: December 24, 2016, 06:13:00 am »

Looks like it takes the largest nuke in the world to get me into the 2nd fallout contour from a Los Angeles target.

The water supply's going to be completely contaminated, though, since the aqueduct passes through LA. Maybe I can distill seawater.

Edit: Any yield that models fallout is enough to heavily contaminate the LA river. The coastal wind pretty much guarantees it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 06:20:47 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1249