Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395934 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #15945 on: December 19, 2016, 09:33:30 am »

I'm not going around it, i'm going straight at it. that's the point.

When blacks have a higher crime rate in the exactly same environment you immediately jump to "race caused it" but when ghetto whites do the same thing, you suddenly "have no clue" how crime works. Well maybe you should stop theorizing things based on racism, if you have no clue how the phenomena actually works.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:35:40 am by Reelya »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #15946 on: December 19, 2016, 09:36:52 am »

so now statistics are racist, a number can be racist? ok. also, racism as in, discriminating by race doesn't mean _at all_ comparing numbers about crime, but ok.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: December 19, 2016, 09:40:40 am »

i don't even know what you're talking about now.

My point was that ghetto whites are more violent to each other, so are ghetto blacks. Also, more blacks live in the ghetto. This information is not sufficient to claim that being a specific race causes you to be violent. That's all we can glean from the "higher white on white violence in black neighborhoods" thing. If whites are being made to be more violent because of that environment, then the same must hold true of black people.

I'm not disputing any data, except that stuff generated by the neo-nazi group because i don't trust them to be an honest source.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:42:54 am by Reelya »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: December 19, 2016, 09:42:43 am »

And the obvious answer is : there are known effect of long-term poverty and disfranchisement on criminality. Yeah, a middle class guy of the majority culture won't suddenly turn to criminality if he hit hard times (well not usually), the same way that an inner city youth raised in a culture that see crime as acceptable and law enforcement as outsiders will.

IF you actually want to reduce crime, there are time-proven techniques of providing education, welfare, "communication" (rather propaganda really),... that allow to move them toward sharing the majority's cultural identity. The best way being to remove the borders between the two and adopt their symbols in the mainstream.
Be warned that it WILL take generation for the economical gap to fill, as you have to slowly raise the median level toward normal. Still better in every ways than having crime ridden ghetto, though.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15949 on: December 19, 2016, 09:47:38 am »

Losboccacc, you make me sad.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15950 on: December 19, 2016, 09:48:58 am »

so that's a very strong point I'm totally convinced now of the correctness of your position.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15951 on: December 19, 2016, 09:58:28 am »

Reelya has already explained, but you've apparently chosen not to listen. Thus, me sad.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15952 on: December 19, 2016, 10:00:04 am »

so that's a very strong point I'm totally convinced now of the correctness of your position.

Pretty sure the points not to convince you, but maybe to look & think?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15953 on: December 19, 2016, 10:05:48 am »

eh, btw, have you looked at that map? Anyway I haven't come up with conclusions, it's Reelya mostly attributing things to me that I didn't claim, but eh. can't correct data, so it must be me.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: December 19, 2016, 10:08:48 am »

Yeah I looked at the map. Foreign country though, hard to get a proper jist of the areas. Lived in bad neighborhoods before though, tends to be crap no matter what race.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15955 on: December 19, 2016, 10:21:52 am »

eh, btw, have you looked at that map? Anyway I haven't come up with conclusions, it's Reelya mostly attributing things to me that I didn't claim, but eh. can't correct data, so it must be me.

What are your claims?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #15956 on: December 19, 2016, 10:23:25 am »

What about my (mainstream) explanation? I live in a textbook area for its execution.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15957 on: December 19, 2016, 10:42:51 am »

What are your claims?

I'm highlighting that most sources you can find around*, including the one from Reelya itself, claim mixed racial neighborhood more affected by crime than white only areas, with less correlation to income than to ethnicity (also see: large swath of low income area that are relatively low crime up in the rural north). is that a city thing? a industrialization thing? a ghettoization thing? I do not know. I was pointing out that the original claim as made here of being just a racist point was completely bogus and not based on neither the source linked nor on any other material available

* beware there are lot studies that conflate numbers by ignoring hispanic as an ethnicity, especially the one based on victimization reports.

edit: and I'm gonna add - ignoring the very real racial tension that are building up and squashing every discussion with 'muh racism' or 'soo sad' doesn't really help anyone. but having an objective discussion on loaded topic seems really impossible, since everyone goes to the barricades as soon as skin tone gets mentioned.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:49:39 am by LoSboccacc »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15958 on: December 19, 2016, 11:25:57 am »

And the obvious answer is : there are known effect of long-term poverty and disfranchisement on criminality. Yeah, a middle class guy of the majority culture won't suddenly turn to criminality if he hit hard times (well not usually), the same way that an inner city youth raised in a culture that see crime as acceptable and law enforcement as outsiders will.

IF you actually want to reduce crime, there are time-proven techniques of providing education, welfare, "communication" (rather propaganda really),... that allow to move them toward sharing the majority's cultural identity. The best way being to remove the borders between the two and adopt their symbols in the mainstream.
Be warned that it WILL take generation for the economical gap to fill, as you have to slowly raise the median level toward normal. Still better in every ways than having crime ridden ghetto, though.
This!
Also, I hate it when black ghettos are glorified, but it's worth pointing out that a *lot* of rap talks about how horrible they are, and how people should want to get out and live normally.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: December 19, 2016, 11:29:46 am »

Rural areas have low crime because people are generally more isolated. With people coming into contact all the time in big cities, there's more opportunity for all types of interactions - good and bad.

That's the theory anyway, actually you're no safer in the countryside. There are many more violent accidents there where hospitals aren't easily accessible. This outweighs the risk from other people in the big cities, so rural areas are not "safer" in aggregate:
http://science.time.com/2013/07/23/in-town-versus-country-it-turns-out-that-cities-are-the-safest-places-to-live/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:35:21 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1249