Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395880 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #15885 on: December 18, 2016, 04:47:04 am »

If you were not talking about fertilizer, I have no idea what the hell you were talking about.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #15886 on: December 18, 2016, 04:47:40 am »

Well... Oil will never be useless mind you... Given that we rely on it for far more then just power...

In fact you are eating oil everyday.

You are literally going outside, bending over, and taking big chomping bites of sand made out of oil every single day for nutrition.

I think I would remember doing that. Also isn't sand made of silicon and oxygen and oil of hydrogen and carbon?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15887 on: December 18, 2016, 04:49:06 am »

If you were not talking about fertilizer, I have no idea what the hell you were talking about.

Honestly I was mostly just joking, wrote that sentence... found it hilarious so I kept it.

Originally I was just going to say "In fact, you even eat it!" referring to oil based products that you consume.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15888 on: December 18, 2016, 05:04:03 am »

You mean you guys don't eat sand? Weirdos

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15889 on: December 18, 2016, 05:04:46 am »

You mean you guys don't eat sand? Weirdos

How... Biblical.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #15890 on: December 18, 2016, 07:44:11 am »

We currently use a ton of oil to grow crops (for tractors, transportation, refrigeration,...) but all that is not as big a problem as it seems since our production capacity are massively under-used.

Seriously peoples, you NEED to read Marx's book. He's not the father of economic science for nothing.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15891 on: December 18, 2016, 07:52:38 am »

I don't even care* about crude oil prices - I want to know what's up with the increase from $0.10 between grades of gasoline to $0.30...

"But there's no inflation!"

*In my daily life. It's interesting to pontificate about it. Yay almost econ minor** focusing on the energy industry...

**I was dumb and needed one more class to get it, but didn't really think about it until after I graduated...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15892 on: December 18, 2016, 08:51:59 am »

Such as Canada. Which, considering how linked US-Canada trade is, would be instability for the US as well.

Huh, I never thought of Canada as a petrostate.
Canada, like Australia, is one the former British Dominions with tons of land and little else of value. Canada has diversification, but while I wouldn't call Oil their sole export or primary industry or anything like that, it does make up a much larger share of the economy than in most other developed nations. It has, according to Wikipedia, the third largest share of oil, after Venezuela and the Saudis, and it's largest export is oil and oil products. So while Canada won't collapse into Venezuela if Oil goes, it is going to suffer in a way the US won't.
We currently use a ton of oil to grow crops (for tractors, transportation, refrigeration,...) but all that is not as big a problem as it seems since our production capacity are massively under-used.

Seriously peoples, you NEED to read Marx's book. He's not the father of economic science for nothing.
no. Either you are referring to the manifesto, which isn't exactly a serious look into economics (obviously it's a manifesto, it's supposed to be simple enough that you can read it to factory workers), or you are referring to something like Das Kapital, and ain't nobody got time to read that.

damn germans and their unintelligible philosophy. they produced Wittgenstein too.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15893 on: December 18, 2016, 09:15:24 am »

Hehe one of my newspaper's columnist wrote a somewhat funny piece.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/opinie/tegenwoordig-is-domheid-slechts-een-aanbeveling~a4435780/

translation
"Nowadays being dumb is a credit"

If Donald Trump has his way, Rick Perry will become the new minister of Energy.
Which is, to say the least, remarkable, since Perry wasn't exactly known to be a huge fan of Trump.
In fact, just last year, he called Trump "a cancerous growth on conservatism that must be eradicated".
But now that has failed to do that, he has come back to Trump crawling on his knees.

It's funny, him getting the ministry of Energy, being the ministry he forgot about in a previous election campaign. Perry said back then, that he wanted to get rid of 3 departments: "Trade, Education, and ... Oops forgot". This slip cost him his campaing back then.
Nowadays however being dumb is more of a credit than anything. We can only hope that he forgets which ministry it was exactly he is supposed to run.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15894 on: December 18, 2016, 09:47:43 am »

, or you are referring to something like Das Kapital, and ain't nobody got time to read that.

damn germans and their unintelligible philosophy.
true that, I've tried to read that one back when I've tried to simulate a communist and I've quit because its style was too similar to that of crazy rants on social media.
._.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15895 on: December 18, 2016, 12:48:53 pm »

, or you are referring to something like Das Kapital, and ain't nobody got time to read that.

true that, I've tried to read that one back when I've tried to simulate a communist and I've quit because its style was too similar to that of crazy rants on social media.

Karl Marx was ahead of his time
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15896 on: December 18, 2016, 01:33:13 pm »

Today I learned that the crazy people ranting on social media are simulating communists.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15897 on: December 18, 2016, 01:45:32 pm »

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/donald-trump-us-should-let-china-keep-drone-seized-in-south-china-sea/news-story/fe9c7dd235ee4a4696203c5c0e6e92b5

CHINA has agreed to return a US Navy unmanned underwater glider that it seized in the South China Sea — but President-elect Donald Trump says the US should just let them have it.

“We should tell China that we don’t want the drone they stole back — let them keep it!” the billionaire businessman tweeted shortly after the US military announced an understanding had been reached with China for the drone’s return.

Umm ... what?

Ah, it's probably because the drone was a scientific one, not a military one. So clearly the drone was up to no good, part of the climate change conspiracy.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:49:01 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15898 on: December 18, 2016, 01:48:23 pm »

Trump is someone who believes that America doesn't negotiate... it demands. So to speak.

A strong arm approach to domestic policy basically... Never show weakness.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15899 on: December 18, 2016, 01:48:59 pm »

Most of the time, I can understand Trump by pretending to be an unprincipled nationalist jackoff trying to get elected for fun, but this one is a bit weird.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1249