Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395735 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15765 on: December 16, 2016, 12:54:13 pm »

* martinuzz quickly destroys all evidence of half of the Netherlands being created out of thin air the sea.

You did that centuries before the UN anyway, and it was still within your territory anyhow. This is thousands of miles from the nearest (natural) Chinese shoreline.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15766 on: December 16, 2016, 12:55:43 pm »

It's one of the most amazing things about my country. We started turning ocean into arable land way back in the 11th century already, using windmills and coordinated dike building. It's argued by sociologists / politicologists that our ancient tradition of coordinating and cooperating between local communties in the taming of the ocean is a very important factor in creating the 'poldermodel' politics we are reknowned for.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:58:36 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15767 on: December 16, 2016, 12:56:01 pm »

Ugh this is probably a captain dicking around. I really don't want to make all my current education pointless.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15768 on: December 16, 2016, 01:02:05 pm »

Ugh this is probably a captain dicking around. I really don't want to make all my current education pointless.

Not sure what the whole South China sea controversy has to do with your current education?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #15769 on: December 16, 2016, 01:14:07 pm »

nevermind

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15770 on: December 16, 2016, 01:32:23 pm »

International Maritime Law

versus

"I say so" backed by Navy and Fortified Islands

Seems like a game of chicken.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15771 on: December 16, 2016, 01:39:24 pm »

Do you really want to discuss stupid? Because we can discuss the number of people who think Obama caused the 2008 housing crisis and Bush found WMDs.

On a mostly unrelated note, I'm going to steal something from Voltaire. Attribute it, if you will, to Republican leadership. "Si Guerriers de justice sociale n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer."

This construction of social justice as whiny entitled educated people is the wedge placed carefully to split the blue-collar liberal away from the civil rights crowd. Which is terrifyingly effective considering how wrong it is. Modern Democrats have all the revolutionary frevor of a country club celebrating MLK day. I blame generation X. They're all a bunch of nihilists who can't be bothered to do anything productive. The millennials, now, they have a chance. The most active among them are, of course, called SJWs, but their teachers are the septuagenarian hippies who have tenure and ran out of fucks like ten years ago. They had a great life under Obama and now they get to compare that to independence under Trump and see how that goes.

It'll be an interesting decade. So long as we don't go to war with China.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15772 on: December 16, 2016, 01:40:57 pm »

International Maritime Law

versus

"I say so" backed by Navy and Fortified Islands

Seems like a game of chicken.

Not to mention leading to the other four (well, three if you count only those with significant militaries) nations in the region trying to assert their own claims. Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, and tiny Brunei.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15773 on: December 16, 2016, 01:41:26 pm »

It's one of the most amazing things about my country. We started turning ocean into arable land way back in the 11th century already, using windmills and coordinated dike building. It's argued by sociologists / politicologists that ourp ancient tradition of coordinating and cooperating between local communties in the taming of the ocean is a very important factor in creating the 'poldermodel' politics we are reknowned for.

Sorry, nut the only politics the Netherlands is renowned for is Belgium's :P
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15774 on: December 16, 2016, 01:46:32 pm »

It'll be an interesting decade. So long as we don't go to war with China.

Given how antagonistic Trump is, a war over the South China sea region seems possible. Though it really isn't in China's interest to spark a war, and yet they're swinging their weight around in a way that could start one.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15775 on: December 16, 2016, 01:58:24 pm »

It's one of the most amazing things about my country. We started turning ocean into arable land way back in the 11th century already, using windmills and coordinated dike building. It's argued by sociologists / politicologists that ourp ancient tradition of coordinating and cooperating between local communties in the taming of the ocean is a very important factor in creating the 'poldermodel' politics we are reknowned for.

That was a joke, right? Belgium is a country, not part of the Netherlands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polder_model

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15776 on: December 16, 2016, 02:31:39 pm »

martinuzz: inquiry: is there concern in the Netherlands about global warming? I don't know the exact situation, but I'm wagering that even relatively tame increases in sea levels might result in unusually high environmental humidity...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15777 on: December 16, 2016, 02:36:53 pm »

martinuzz: inquiry: is there concern in the Netherlands about global warming? I don't know the exact situation, but I'm wagering that even relatively tame increases in sea levels might result in unusually high environmental humidity...

Our dykes are being reinforced to withstand, I think, 3m sea level rise. Next to that, we are letting rivers reclaim natural flooding areas (and turning those into wetland nature preserves as an added bonus) to have a buffer for expected higher rainfall / melting of the alps' snow making river levels rise. There's not much worry if any at all. We mostly trust our Delta Works engineers.
(The starting position our dykes are already in, is that they are able to withstand a combined moon-/stormtide surge as the one that caused a major flooding disaster in 1953.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_1953
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Works

There was a drama miniseries the past two months on dutch TV 'als de dijken breken' which is about the doom scenario of the dykes breaking and 50% of the Netherlands flooding. Some of our towns lie as low as 9 meters under sea level hehehe.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:40:11 pm by martinuzz »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15778 on: December 16, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »

The joke is that people can't tell them apart.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15779 on: December 16, 2016, 02:45:55 pm »

The joke is that people can't tell them apart.

Go back to Denmark.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1249