Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1048 1049 [1050] 1051 1052 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395753 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15736 on: December 16, 2016, 06:44:36 am »

This is my 2016 jam
"How can we win, when fools can be kings". Very fitting indeed.
"You and I must fight for our rights, you and I must fight to survive."
Super fitting, and it's just an awesome song all round. Right, left and liberal wing around the West has been fighting tooth and nail this year for survival, to make things right, for rights NO ONE'S GONNA TAKE ME ALIIIIIVE
I like the stuff about how God's asleep on the job lmao very 2016

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #15737 on: December 16, 2016, 07:22:48 am »

I, uh... what? You ask "what agencies", then when are told what agencies, are told not to bother trusting them anyway because of earlier things? So why did we even bother answering your question? And if you're citing a fringe lunatic website solely because it's a fringe lunatic website, how is that any different from trolling?

I didn't ask "what agency" and I cited this website because it basically says the same things about the Russians as those "news". Just against Obama.

Another thing is that it's somewhat true : communist, left wing, anti-war and ecologist groups have routinely been funded by the USSR, and there were definitely psy ops going on. The reverse was also true and documented.

What actually makes the website fringe and lunatic is the surrounding hysteria.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15738 on: December 16, 2016, 07:51:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This really brightened up my day. The Brits, French, Austrians, Italians and Russians for centuries wondered how it was possible to contain Germany, culminating in the destruction wrought upon it post WWI that created the conditions ripe for Naziism. Understanding the economic plight of the angry German voter resulted in the modern Germany that is simultaneously the wealthiest in Europe and the most liberal in Europe. Defeating a wartime enemy and defeating an idea are both different, difficult things, going full Mongol only works if you're truly committed to going full Mongol

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15739 on: December 16, 2016, 07:53:09 am »

What you need to realize and take it to heart is that there is no "the narrative." Everyone who has a voice can make one, and all of the above and more are probably all relevant factors (especially meme magic) in having determined the ultimate victory. It is also impossible to judge someone's competency based off of what others are saying, as what others are saying have no bearing on how one acts. Doesn't matter how many people say Jackie Chan can't fight, Jackie Chan can fight

I am fully aware. There is no "One narrative" :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15740 on: December 16, 2016, 08:02:14 am »

Eh, the nice thing about this country is that I have free right to leave whenever. Who knows? Maybe Trump's trade war with China might spur Canadian tech to surpass the US's, or at least for all those US tech companies to go to Canada to circumvent all the bullshit.

Will Trump start a trade war with China? Who knows! Odds are definitely rather reasonable these days, but nothing close to 100%.

Wait a minute... Is the story of Fallout happening?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15741 on: December 16, 2016, 08:02:30 am »

I, uh... what? You ask "what agencies", then when are told what agencies, are told not to bother trusting them anyway because of earlier things? So why did we even bother answering your question? And if you're citing a fringe lunatic website solely because it's a fringe lunatic website, how is that any different from trolling?

... There's also the point of why Operation Gladio existed. It wasn't set up to interfere with European politics, it was a network of local military agencies which were preparing to withstand a Soviet invasion of Western Europe, and the whole plan of covert resistance units was based on the WWII French Resistance to NAZI occupation. You just don't publicly state who is and is not a member of The Resistance, because that just ensures that they'll get found out during the invasion and arrested and sent to The Gulags. Clearly, local leaders did actually know about it, but everything was deliberately kept off the record, because the plan was to spring into action if Stalin invaded and took over Germany, France and Italy. The Soviets would have all the official records then, so none of this stuff could be written down.

The whole plan was put together when Stalin was still alive and around the time the Berlin Wall was going up. At that time, the entire thing was a completely reasonable precaution.

And while there's evidence of local members of the police or military involved in corruption who also happened to be involved with Operation Gladio, there's really no evidence of any outside actor influencing things. The actions of Gladio units in the different countries were widely divergent and all based on local political differences. For example, the French would have drawn largely from existing French Resistance contacts, whereas in Italy, they drew mainly from anti-communists. And Italian anti-communists in the late 1940s tended to be ex-Mussolini guys. As a result: you had big fuckups in Italy (Which is why we know this as "Gladio" and not the actual name of the program), and no incidents whatsoever in France.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:14:58 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15742 on: December 16, 2016, 08:13:19 am »

Eh, the nice thing about this country is that I have free right to leave whenever. Who knows? Maybe Trump's trade war with China might spur Canadian tech to surpass the US's, or at least for all those US tech companies to go to Canada to circumvent all the bullshit.

Will Trump start a trade war with China? Who knows! Odds are definitely rather reasonable these days, but nothing close to 100%.
Wait a minute... Is the story of Fallout happening?
No, we STALKER now

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #15743 on: December 16, 2016, 08:29:59 am »

Mrs Clinton has received more votes than any other US presidential candidate in history.

Well especially in Michigan it seems :P

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #15745 on: December 16, 2016, 08:40:22 am »

And while there's evidence of local members of the police or military involved in corruption who also happened to be involved with Operation Gladio, there's really no evidence of any outside actor influencing things. The actions of Gladio units in the different countries were widely divergent and all based on local political differences. For example, the French would have drawn largely from existing French Resistance contacts, whereas in Italy, they drew mainly from anti-communists. And Italian anti-communists in the late 1940s tended to be ex-Mussolini guys. As a result: you had big fuckups in Italy (Which is why we know this as "Gladio" and not the actual name of the program), and no incidents whatsoever in France.

Oh, that's ok then! Maintaining, funding, training and arming actual far-right and Nazi networks until the 90's is totally ok if it's to keep the spooooky Russian out! And without the knowledge of our governments, too. I have to say that it was a brilliant success, too, those Taliban really shown the soviet what's up! Flawless!
Regardless, my point still stand, you cannot keep secret networks all over Europe without our government's knowledge, and at the same time make a big deal out of a few leaked e-mails actually disclosed to the American public.

Because the "hacking" is fabricating document, disrupting communication or anything like that, it's leaking actual information like a normal whistle blower would do (and probably did).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15746 on: December 16, 2016, 09:05:38 am »

Well no actually, members of Gladio say that the Americans were given a seat at meetings but did not have voting rights on decisions related to Gladio, only representatives of the European nations had that.

General Gerardo Serravalle, who commanded the Italian Gladio from 1971 to 1974, related that "in the 1970s the members of the CPC [Coordination and Planning Committee] were the officers responsible for the secret structures of Great Britain, France, Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, the Netherlands and Italy. These representatives of the secret structures met every year in one of the capitals... At the stay-behind meetings representatives of the CIA were always present. They had no voting rights and were from the CIA headquarters of the capital in which the meeting took place... members of the US Forces Europe Command were present, also without voting rights. "

These things were actually funded and trained and organized within each nation's organized military, and came under the auspices of NATO high command. If anything, Britain provided far more support for this network than America, and the main scandal was that most elected MPs were kept out of the loop of what NATO and their own armed forces were planning in case of Soviet invasion. But it's probably a good thing: the details would have leaked completely in about 5 minutes flat if all elected MPs in each nation were given detailed information.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:11:38 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15747 on: December 16, 2016, 09:08:37 am »

Why do you people post quotes with no sources, the point of the quote is that it's a quote

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15748 on: December 16, 2016, 09:12:05 am »

Why do you people post quotes with no sources, the point of the quote is that it's a quote

It's from the link I posted in the previous post. The main problem with posting unsourced stuff isn't that it's hard to find a source, it would be trivial for anyone to source that, it's when contentious stuff is posted. In this case, a general statement about Operation Gladio from an Italian general in the 1970s is non-contentious enough to be used.

The primary source is a book written by the general involved:

Gerardo Serravalle, Gladio (Rome: Edizione Associate, ISBN 88-267-0145-8, 1991), p.78-79 (Italian)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:15:44 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15749 on: December 16, 2016, 09:13:40 am »

There's no link there? NSA pls y u psyops me
Pages: 1 ... 1048 1049 [1050] 1051 1052 ... 1249