Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395543 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15690 on: December 15, 2016, 05:29:53 pm »

I dunno, I'm having trouble finding an inaccuracy in the tweet. "Treacherous?" Yes. "Russian whore?" Well, depends. "Prostitute" would have been a better term, as "whore" is stigmatizing. Also, prostitutes don't work for quid-pro-quo, they only work for money. It seems pretty clear that Trump is serving Russian interests in order to attain a feeling of power. The rest of the statement is more clearly true; people have been pointing to manipulation of news media for a while now, and the leaks were clearly from Russian sources from the beginning.

All that said, I don't dislike Russia. I dislike the Putin government. I just wish this was more emphasized.

So, maybe it would have been better if Keith had written, "Putin's @realDonaldTrump's pimp, and we all knew he was a cheap lay for a long time."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: December 15, 2016, 05:40:02 pm »

the leaks were clearly from Russian sources from the beginning.

there are TWO named sources it was an insider, but eh. keep believing the inane 'Putin was involved directly' like yeah, he personally flew to Penn to stuff ballots.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: December 15, 2016, 06:35:31 pm »

Stupid tangentially related stuff: remember how Sergarr went full LCS many pages back? There's a person who's actually just like that IRL - Keith Olbermann from GQ. He's been triggered by Trump incredibly hard:

"RUSSIAN SCUM!!!"

Oh hey, I've been watching some of his videos, yes. I think I've caught that LCS thing from him, actually. He's kind of funny, though. He has unironically compared Putin with Hitler in his last instalment, and also was calling for resistance to Trump "by whatever process provides itself".

At this rate, he'll probably start calling for liberal crime squads soon.

I dunno, I'm having trouble finding an inaccuracy in the tweet. "Treacherous?" Yes. "Russian whore?" Well, depends. "Prostitute" would have been a better term, as "whore" is stigmatizing. Also, prostitutes don't work for quid-pro-quo, they only work for money. It seems pretty clear that Trump is serving Russian interests in order to attain a feeling of power. The rest of the statement is more clearly true; people have been pointing to manipulation of news media for a while now, and the leaks were clearly from Russian sources from the beginning.

All that said, I don't dislike Russia. I dislike the Putin government. I just wish this was more emphasized.

So, maybe it would have been better if Keith had written, "Putin's @realDonaldTrump's pimp, and we all knew he was a cheap lay for a long time."
His choice of words is pretty solidly in the area where, if you'd replace "Russian" with, for example, "Jewish", or "Mexican", he'd be immediately labelled as xenophobic, though. "Scum, Russian scum!", at 5:45 and on.

I do find it pretty ironic that he wants for Obama to appoint a "special prosecutor" to deal with Trump, just like Trump once suggested he'll do against Clinton. Being on the "right side of history", or at least thinking to be on one, is one hell of a drug.

EDIT: Seems like something pretty shady is going on with those CIA accusations.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:39:22 pm by Sergarr »
._.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15693 on: December 15, 2016, 06:38:46 pm »

Oh, yes, I need to get off my high horse about "honoring the democratic process this" and "maintaining national sovereignty without foreign influence that."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #15694 on: December 15, 2016, 06:46:02 pm »

Oh, yes, I need to get off my high horse about "honoring the democratic process this" and "maintaining national sovereignty without foreign influence that."

eh it's not the conclusion that's shaky, but the premise.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15695 on: December 15, 2016, 06:52:37 pm »

Well, since you've already almost lost your national sovereignty by being on a verge of electing Trump...

In other news, it seems like the new - and totally crazy - plan to prevent Trump, the Russian puppet, from becoming POTUS, is to have all Clinton electors switch and vote for some "moderate Republican", combined with enough Trump electors switching to that same "moderate Republican" at the same time.

I kind of doubt that something like that could be firmly negotiated within the span of just two-three days, but eh.
._.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15696 on: December 15, 2016, 08:16:03 pm »

So I'm confused - are the allegations that Russia actually hacked the voting machines and changed the voting results, or that Russia did a "social engineering" hack to sway the vote?

If it's the former then yeah that is pretty scary, but I'd put it more on the shoddy implementation of voting system infrastructure security.

If it's the latter (which is what "releasing various emails, etc." seems to be to me at least), how is that any different than what the various campaigns themselves do?  Is it really a "hack" to give people (mis)information to convince them to vote (or not) a particular way?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: December 15, 2016, 08:26:44 pm »

If it's the latter (which is what "releasing various emails, etc." seems to be to me at least), how is that any different than what the various campaigns themselves do?  Is it really a "hack" to give people (mis)information to convince them to vote (or not) a particular way?

When you have to hack into a person or organization's email (in this case, both the DNC and Podesta, separately) in order to obtain their emails, in order to give them to wikileaks? :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15698 on: December 15, 2016, 09:03:20 pm »

the leaks were clearly from Russian sources from the beginning.

there are TWO named sources it was an insider, but eh. keep believing the inane 'Putin was involved directly' like yeah, he personally flew to Penn to stuff ballots.

Which one? The only one I saw was a British ex-ambassador with an axe to grind.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15699 on: December 15, 2016, 09:10:01 pm »

So, on the subject of polling: If somebody had asked my honest opinion about who would win the election, I would have said Clinton.  If they had asked who I was voting for, I would have said Evan Mcmullin (well, if they asked within about a month of the election, before that I was undecided if I was even going to cast a presidential vote).  At least one of the polls somebody linked to talked about some percent of Americans saying they thought Clinton was going to win.

Another thing to note: Over the course of the last year we had lots and lots of polls.  Almost none of them actually predicted the election they nominally covered.  Sure, lots of them got the top thing right (who won), but many of them got the vote percentage wrong by more than their margins of error.  "The Polling is Bad" was no where near as prevalent this year as in 2012, when the Republicans told it to themselves to tell themselves that they were going to win.  Be that as it may, we still had lots of really bad polling.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: December 15, 2016, 09:42:08 pm »

The other aspect is people are REALLY REALLY all or nothing about the Poll results.

Even though the poll results aren't "Hillary is going to win no matter what" that is exactly what people drawn from it. EVEN THE NEWS didn't say "Hillary winning is a foregone conclusion" and yet that is how people took it.

Why is everyone so bad at statistics?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15701 on: December 15, 2016, 09:47:30 pm »

That's, like, math, man.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15702 on: December 15, 2016, 09:51:08 pm »

Human's logical part of the brain isn't naturally well-suited for fuzzy and uncertain statements.

Which is obviously why we must replace humanity with a superior robotic race. They wouldn't have elected Donald Trump, after all!
._.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15703 on: December 15, 2016, 10:11:43 pm »

Why are you not perfect? Answer me this first.

Human's logical part of the brain isn't naturally well-suited for fuzzy and uncertain statements.
Sergarr you've managed to reverse the Hollywood evil AI logic. It' s humans that are supposed to be good at handling fuzziness and the uncertain, and robots which are stuck in their programming.

Properly applied statistics are, well, properly applied. The issue is simply that the logic of statistics and the logic of how humanity functions are quite different, and as they intersect they cause problems. No one thinks and argues exclusively in terms of Null and Alternative Hypotheses, after all. I create a statistics that says X, and someone hears "X" and they think "Y" because in most situations with X, Y is true. And yet statistically it might not be the case. A dissonance between the way in which the human brain comprehends things and the assumptions statistics takes for granted.
Which is obviously why we must replace humanity with a superior robotic race. They wouldn't have elected Donald Trump, after all!
Better question: what, precisely, would a robot want?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: December 15, 2016, 10:14:02 pm »

Better question: what, precisely, would a robot want?

Omnic Rights
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1249