Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391536 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15150 on: December 06, 2016, 04:58:00 pm »

trouble is without regulation everyone who is not the company pays the price they avoided. supporting deregulation is the calling card of the corporate shill.

Regulations do not have to be about controlling externalities.  Consider the case of airline flights.  At one point in the US airline flights were strictly regulated by the FAA.  Nobody could fly any flight except the ones the FAA approved and they could only charge the prices the FAA allowed.  Then the airline industry was de-regulated and chaos reigned!  Prices went up!  Prices went down!  Nobody knew which way was up!  And yet, within not terribly long, the prices stabilized.  In fact, they generally stabilized at a lower level than they were under the regulated regime.  They have since gone up, and some flights stabilized at a higher level but deregulation led to more good for more people.

Next, consider the sugar tariff.  Because of the sugar tariff, domestic producers of sugar sell sugar for about twice the world price of sugar.  Because they cannot sell all the sugar they produce domestically, they also sell sugar to the rest of the world.  If we deregulated sugar (and thus allowed free trade to prevail), the domestic price of sugar would drop by a large fraction of its current level.  High Fructose Corn Syrup would no longer be economically preferential to sugar, so total acreage of corn would go down.  Well, total acreage of corn that is turned in to high fructose corn syrup.  Food would taste better, and people would be happier.  Ironically, both sugar growers and corn growers love the sugar tariff.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15151 on: December 06, 2016, 05:15:02 pm »

Trump just got Japan to invest 50 billion gorillion dollars into the USA
The money will come from SoftBank’s previously announced $100 billion technology fund, according to a person familiar with the matter. That investment vehicle has a $45 billion commitment from the government of Saudi Arabia and $25 billion from Tokyo-based SoftBank, which operates technology and wireless companies around the world.
If you apply Trumpsters' standards of evidence re:Hillary, this means that Trump has just been 100% ultra-confirmed as being Saudi shill.
._.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15152 on: December 06, 2016, 05:23:49 pm »

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-misleading-tweet-new-air-force-one-price-2016-12

https://financesonline.com/8-most-expensive-planes-in-the-world-how-much-does-it-cost-to-fly-like-the-elite/

Trump is an idiot for taking it out on Twitter like that, but the response from the Trump haters is just as idiotic.

I see lot's nitpicking over the 4BN price tag, and even fake news of the contract only amounting to $170M.

3.2BN could likely go overbudget to become 4BN. i don't get irrational arguments like "But POTUS needs the AF1 for safety and so he could manage a nuclear war from the air!". Trump never argued against that, he just, probably correctly, estimated the current contract to be inflated on the expense of american tax payers. does he care about the american tax payers? definitely not, but even as a populist action, it is one which is for the benefit of the people.

The money will come from SoftBank’s previously announced $100 billion technology fund, according to a person familiar with the matter. That investment vehicle has a $45 billion commitment from the government of Saudi Arabia and $25 billion from Tokyo-based SoftBank, which operates technology and wireless companies around the world.
If you apply Trumpsters' standards of evidence re:Hillary, this means that Trump has just been 100% ultra-confirmed as being Saudi shill.

Yeah, i was going to mention that. why would the US need or want money from that corrupted totalitarian kingdom is beyond me. it would be better in the long run to just politely decline any investments coming from these types of countries.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15153 on: December 06, 2016, 05:25:14 pm »

There is a difference between Saudi Arabia investing in American industry versus your politician receiving "donations" from Saudi Arabia into their personal foundation

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15154 on: December 06, 2016, 05:28:24 pm »

"But POTUS needs the AF1 for safety and so he could manage a nuclear war from the air!".

That's not even what Air Force 1 is for. That's what NEACAP is for, and why there is always an E-4 deployed to wherever the President happens to be.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15155 on: December 06, 2016, 05:32:19 pm »

There is a difference between Saudi Arabia investing in American industry versus your politician receiving "donations" from Saudi Arabia into their personal foundation

Yes, but still:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_Air_Line_(cable_car)#Criticisms
The contract also forbade the mayor or Transport for London from criticising the United Arab Emirates royal families, the UAE government, or the contract.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15156 on: December 06, 2016, 05:35:35 pm »

Yes, but still:
The contract also forbade the mayor or Transport for London from criticising the United Arab Emirates royal families, the UAE government, or the contract.
Such a clause is unenforceable in the US, thank the First Amendment...

@Rockphed:[citation needed]
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15157 on: December 06, 2016, 05:36:46 pm »

Regardless, Investment equals Influence.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15158 on: December 06, 2016, 05:40:00 pm »

Yes, but still:
I'd be more worried about actually useful and vital things being controlled by foreign states
A picture of the TfL notice was posted to Reddit, with the message: "MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: EMIRATES CABLE CAR TO BE CLOSED FOR 7 DAYS! HOW WILL WE LIVE?"
No one uses this, and I have never even seen the cable cars in my life, the DLR and Jubilee line are superior in every way. Moreover by standard we do not let organizations like the TFL act politically, for example there was a notable case where our government stopped state owned industries from boycotting Israel
Money buys influence yeah, but like the cable car, it has to buy something of worth otherwise the influence is worthless. Until then, foreign investment makes jobs. Lots and lots of jobs. It's how you turn shitholes into Singapores

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15159 on: December 06, 2016, 06:19:48 pm »

@Rockphed:[citation needed]

I'm assuming you are talking about the airline thing since the sugar tariff stuff is straight out of any economics textbook.  Here is Supreme Court Justice Steven Breyer in 2011:

What does the industry's history tell us? Was this effort worthwhile? Certainly it shows that every major reform brings about new, sometimes unforeseen, problems. No one foresaw the industry's spectacular growth, with the number of air passengers increasing from 207.5 million in 1974 to 721.1 million last year. As a result, no one foresaw the extent to which new bottlenecks would develop: a flight-choked Northeast corridor, overcrowded airports, delays, and terrorist risks consequently making air travel increasingly difficult. Nor did anyone foresee the extent to which change might unfairly harm workers in the industry. Still, fares have come down. Airline revenue per passenger mile has declined from an inflation-adjusted 33.3 cents in 1974, to 13 cents in the first half of 2010. In 1974 the cheapest round-trip New York-Los Angeles flight (in inflation-adjusted dollars) that regulators would allow: $1,442. Today one can fly that same route for $268. That is why the number of travelers has gone way up. So we sit in crowded planes, munch potato chips, flare up when the loudspeaker announces yet another flight delay. But how many now will vote to go back to the "good old days" of paying high, regulated prices for better service? Even among business travelers, who wants to pay "full fare for the briefcase?"
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15160 on: December 06, 2016, 06:38:46 pm »

Trump's refusal to attend security briefings is just silly.

"Sir, there's an urgent intelligence briefing waiting for you"
"No, I'm busy"
"Something something Pearl Harbour"
"Bothering my while I play Pokemon Go with the president of Taiwan? You're fired."
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:43:39 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15161 on: December 06, 2016, 06:53:56 pm »

Yes, but still:

I didn't know London had some sort of aerial cable car system. Also, sounds like something that is impossible to get rid of.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15162 on: December 06, 2016, 06:57:04 pm »

SimCity taught me that loans are bad and that power plants explode after 50 years.
One of these seems more applicable to life than the other.

wtf I love Trump now
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15163 on: December 06, 2016, 06:57:59 pm »

I didn't know London had some sort of aerial cable car system. Also, sounds like something that is impossible to get rid of.
Exactly, no one uses it or cares about it, not even tourists

wtf I love Trump now
this is hwo trump will make anime real

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15164 on: December 06, 2016, 08:21:25 pm »

Since Canada is the US's hat (and I have no idea where the Canadian politics thread is), this goes here.

Trump-like politics invades Canada by way of a 'lock her up' chant (aimed at a Canadian politician, not Hillary).

You have our sympathies Canada.
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1249