Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 996 997 [998] 999 1000 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389856 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14955 on: December 04, 2016, 05:41:29 pm »

That graph.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14956 on: December 04, 2016, 05:41:42 pm »

Oh wait, I know the source, mentioned in 538 http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/democracy-meh/  actual source: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/world/americas/western-liberal-democracy.html?_r=1 (not paywalled)

It seems to be, in part, generational.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:45:45 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14957 on: December 04, 2016, 05:47:08 pm »

I've found some (unsourced, admittedly) graph that could maybe explain why the world is starting to go to shit/anti-liberalism recently:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have no idea why young people hate living a good life in a country that doesn't kill them for their beliefs, but it's apparently a thing now.
Nah, that's not a representative graph. Netherlands at 50% highest is just a joke. We are more likely up there with Sweden. Either it's complete fake, or they asked 10 people and call that statistics.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14958 on: December 04, 2016, 05:50:26 pm »

It may have to do with their methodology or question format, which as far as I can see are unpublished. For example, they claimed that half of older Americans but only a fifth of younger Americans would be opposed to military rule if the government couldn't do its job. But what are we talking about here? Are we "running the bureaucrats out" or has Washington DC been hit by a meteor? Because I'd oppose military rule in the former but support it in the latter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14959 on: December 04, 2016, 05:52:24 pm »

The 538 article does make a point that it doesn't neccesarily mean that people don't like democracy, just that people are frustrated with it not working. Which comes back to the whole populist wave.

Basically, correlation isn't causation.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14960 on: December 04, 2016, 06:05:55 pm »

It may have to do with their methodology or question format, which as far as I can see are unpublished. For example, they claimed that half of older Americans but only a fifth of younger Americans would be opposed to military rule if the government couldn't do its job. But what are we talking about here? Are we "running the bureaucrats out" or has Washington DC been hit by a meteor? Because I'd oppose military rule in the former but support it in the latter.

That's still not delineated enough. There's things the government could do where following Mattis when he crosses the Potomac would be reasonable and just (not many, and with how much we've already watched the Constitution die by inches, who knows when we'll actually hit that point).

The more statistics like that I read, the more I think that people don't answer surveys honestly, or at least consider it in the super hypothetical "Nixon declared elections and habeas corpus permanently suspended" instead of anything more realistic.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14961 on: December 04, 2016, 06:10:37 pm »

e, ironically."
Did I mention that the DMV had a big ol Christmas tree when I visited - in mid November?  Fortunately they were really nice, so I ended up feeling welcome anyway, but in my opinion it's not appropriate.

Christmas trees aren't Christian symbolism however. Since it is a secular addition to the holiday it doesn't count.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14962 on: December 04, 2016, 06:13:53 pm »

e, ironically."
Did I mention that the DMV had a big ol Christmas tree when I visited - in mid November?  Fortunately they were really nice, so I ended up feeling welcome anyway, but in my opinion it's not appropriate.

Christmas trees aren't Christian symbolism however. Since it is a secular addition to the holiday it doesn't count.

There's people who would seriously argue that any connection to Christmas, no matter how tenuous is unacceptable. 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14963 on: December 04, 2016, 06:16:06 pm »

Let's be real here: Christmas trees are accepted because they're popular, not because they're a "secular addition to a religious holiday". Which also isn't true, they're a different religious addition to a religious holiday that became marginalized by modern culture into something typically but not always secular.

Same reason the absurd argument that "Under God" is taken to not be a specifically Christian reference and thus not a violation of the Establishment Clause, even though it obviously is. Popularity trumps (eeeyyy) everything.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14964 on: December 04, 2016, 06:19:24 pm »

That graph.

Drawing on data from the European and World Values Surveys, the researchers found that the share of Americans who say that army rule would be a “good” or “very good” thing had risen to 1 in 6 in 2014, compared with 1 in 16 in 1995.

1 in 6 would prefer a US Army Junta? That's on par with the number of people who voted for the winning candidate.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:21:13 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14965 on: December 04, 2016, 06:20:43 pm »

I already had to watch a movie about the War of Christmas.

Perhaps Trump will deal with it later :P

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14966 on: December 04, 2016, 06:21:37 pm »

From what I heard, the survey had people rate the necessity of living in a democracy on a scale of 1-to-10, and the graph only shows those who gave an answer of 10. The article I read(Unfortunately, I don't remember where that was) showed a graph that had most of the rest of the respondents answering between 9-5, with only a small minority giving 1-to-5s.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14967 on: December 04, 2016, 06:22:56 pm »

I'm not deeply surprised if that's true. Stop doing bad meth(odology), goddamn it.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14968 on: December 04, 2016, 06:23:58 pm »

That graph.

Drawing on data from the European and World Values Surveys, the researchers found that the share of Americans who say that army rule would be a “good” or “very good” thing had risen to 1 in 6 in 2014, compared with 1 in 16 in 1995.

1 in 6 would prefer a US Army Junta? That's on par with the number of people who voted for the winning candidate.

Military rule could just mean having a general or other high ranking military as a President. We'd need to see the actual question to know for sure whether the survey was a good one or not. Plus information on methodology.

Just saying 'military rule' without defining what the question means by 'military rule' is a rather openended question.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:25:49 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14969 on: December 04, 2016, 06:27:36 pm »

Keep in mind that this was also the year where a poll with a non-shit methodology found that Americans under 30 preferred, over both Clinton and Trump:

-Obama Invictus

-Selecting a random American by lottery

-Being obliterated by a giant meteor
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 996 997 [998] 999 1000 ... 1249