Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389818 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14880 on: December 04, 2016, 03:38:00 am »

Honestly to an extent... I don't see why not.

Why not have a statue of Moses on Capital Hill?
1: Way too many statues there already. 2: Moses makes God turn other people into stone, he don't do the whole "Petrification" thing himself. 3: I swear every single anti-semite in the 50 states will crawl out of their holes and cry out as one: "THE JOOOS! THEY ARE COMING OUT INTO THE OPEN, THEY ARE TAKING OVER THE GOVERNMENT, THE JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS" and recent events have proven the power of open bigotry. 4: Why Moses and not someone else? 5: "JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS" 6: Massive violation of church and state. 7: It goes against one of my favorite poems.
Quote from: The Devil's Dictionary
MEEKNESS, n.
Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while.
    M is for Moses,
        Who slew the Egyptian.
    As sweet as a rose is
    The meekness of Moses.
    No monument shows his
        Post-mortem inscription,
    But M is for Moses
        Who slew the Egyptian.
                                             The Biographical Alphabet

As for what I am talking about. Secular means that religion doesn't RUN the government. I don't see why religious adornments of many faiths compromises it when faith in many ways is a sign of culture.
I'm pretty sure that putting up a statue of Moses means Jews run the government, so you are clearly in the wrong here.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14881 on: December 04, 2016, 03:39:50 am »

If the Juice wants to run the government, he'll have to get out of prison first.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14882 on: December 04, 2016, 03:40:33 am »

If the Juice wants to run the government, he'll have to get out of prison first.

Once the Juice is loose...
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14883 on: December 04, 2016, 03:43:50 am »

Because putting a statue of an important figure to a SINGLE (in this case several, but still) faith near the capital building could be seen as support for certain religions????

I didn't mean one statue ever... I mean "In general" like all over... of many religions.

Though someone did answer it... The US is far too... Bigoted right now to ever have that happen.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14884 on: December 04, 2016, 03:46:31 am »

I didn't mean one statue ever... I mean "In general" like all over... of many religions.

Though someone did answer it... The US is far too... Bigoted right now to ever have that happen.

If you want to put up statues for EVERY religion be my guest, lol.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14885 on: December 04, 2016, 03:47:40 am »

I would totally want a monument like that!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14886 on: December 04, 2016, 03:48:05 am »

I want a giant statue of Gordon Freeman with his crowbar in front of every courthouse.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14887 on: December 04, 2016, 03:50:28 am »

I wonder what a statue for atheism would look like? Heh. Probably wouldn't have a statue as its not a religion, just the lack of one. Or maybe the religion is Science*.

*No, I don't mean Scientology, that fake whatever of a religion.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14888 on: December 04, 2016, 03:51:10 am »

Praise Athe!

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14889 on: December 04, 2016, 03:52:33 am »

Honestly to an extent... I don't see why not.

Why not have a statue of Moses on Capital Hill?

For Satanists just have them be tasteful if your worried about content.

Because: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniconism_in_Judaism

I wonder what a statue for atheism would look like? Heh. Probably wouldn't have a statue as its not a religion, just the lack of one. Or maybe the religion is Science*.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomium
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:55:14 am by Vilanat »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14890 on: December 04, 2016, 03:53:09 am »

Ok see, the 1st is there because a bunch of wealthy landowning and centuries dead white dudes were like "man, having a government force a religion as official seems like it would be easier to avoid from the start" and some were like "ok but what about people trying to say 'well, we're not forcing OUR religion, we're just saying you can't be YOUR religion' and saying your wording supports it?" so they were like 'GOD FINE, can we just get around to disenfranchising the negro now?' and so they did.

They weren't holy, they weren't super brilliant wise men with divine insight to the truth of reality, they were a bunch of assholes with opinions arguing on a forum like we are, except they had access to less than none of the information we do.

Honestly the problem here isn't religion, or climate change alarmists or deniers or whatever: it's beliefs being given serious weight in situations where facts are available.

An atheist in favor of their belief based position is just as wrong as an orthodox jew doing it when it comes to giving government the authority to  enforce it.

I disbelieve, they feel like lies to me, and I'm married to a Witness, life is weird. Stop trying to force your beliefs on people, go find some facts to support your ideas and we'll talk.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14891 on: December 04, 2016, 03:55:00 am »

Statue of Lenin. All power to the soviets.

That or a galaxy.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14892 on: December 04, 2016, 03:58:24 am »

What did I just say?
1: Way too many statues there already.
Where the fuck you guys putting these statues huh? Have you ever even been to capitol hill? Where, precisely, do you see room for 200+ statues of God, Allah, Satan, Perun, Zeus, and whatever other jackasses demands their statue? Once you decide that any religion gets a statue, everyone has to get one, but you can't just say "ok, so everyone gets one" without realizing that's a lot of fucking statues. Ugly statues. Stupid statues. And it won't stop there, because then someone else is going to complain about idolatry and demand their religions statue get taken down. Then what? Now you gotta negotiate with a religious authority, which means now the government has to decide which religious authority is the "real", representative one, all so that you can decide whether or not to add more ugly-ass statues. So now the government is establishing religion which is something we were trying to avoid in the first place.
Because: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniconism_in_Judaism
Behold, a yonder glimpse of sanity in these desolate wastes. Hurry now, see it before it vanishes into the night.

Statue of Lenin. All power to the soviets.

That or a galaxy.
The point at which you are proposing to put up Lenin on US capitol hill as a symbol of democratic, pluralistic capitalist freedom is the point where you need to take a step back and ask yourself where everything went wrong.

No statues. If he ain't an old US statesman deader than a doornail he don't get a statue.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14893 on: December 04, 2016, 03:59:38 am »

Zeus

Isn't the statue of Luncheon an homage to the statue of Zeus?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14894 on: December 04, 2016, 04:00:59 am »

Zeus

Isn't the statue of Luncheon an homage to the statue of Zeus?
I'm going to believe that you just had a stroke and politely ask you to seek medical attention instead of shitposting until I find some reason to believe otherwise.
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1249