Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393577 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14235 on: November 28, 2016, 05:35:40 pm »

Dogmatism is always wrongheaded.

Be it "this is a Christian nation!", or, " support our troops!", or any other typically rightwing mantra, the "conservativism is teh evulz!", " its just the Republicans blocking every good thing proposed!", and "we gotta get our guy in!" Are just as bad.

When your view of the issues are monochrome caricatures, there is no thinking, and no real planning.

Maybe the republicans didn't like the proposal because it is not self funding, and thus not sustainable in the face of population growth? Oh no, its because "the Republicans block everything good that gets proposed", et all.

Of course, the Republicans aren't any better today.

When neither side wants to accept useful feedback from the other on the reasons for opposition, when both sides make a morality play out of opposing the other, and when both sides make habitual practice of just whipping up angry mobs every 4 years instead of being a healthy, cooperative government that wants informed voters, you end up with the shit we have now.

Seriously, all you need is a healthy dose of SciFi and you have vorlons vs shadows, with eveyone else telling them to get lost and stop dragging them to war.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:37:20 pm by wierd »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14236 on: November 28, 2016, 05:44:51 pm »

I can't tell if this guy is actually serious or if he's just shouting nonsense to make it on the news like his team leader did.
Oh god can we please just kill these people
I don't care if you're joking or just fed up. Murder is almost never to solution to anything, not even stupid people saying stupid things.
I'm all those and scared.

Scared for my future and dreading what these madmen will do to our country if placed in positions of power.

It's terrifying.  Consumer protection smashed to bits (FTC, FCC being defanged).  Social Security possibly privatized (which jeopardizes more than just my future Social Security money, because my mother works there...).  Environmental collapse in absence of protective regulation (and enforcement, for that matter).  I don't even know what's going to happen with the FDA but it can't be good.  A massive backslide on LGBTQ rights, judging by Pence at least, which, while it isn't a concern for me in particular, most likely at least, is a concern for quite a few people we know and care about.

Please let me wake up now...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14237 on: November 28, 2016, 06:04:08 pm »

You occurred, insulted me profusely, then made a bunch of fallacies. I'm not sure which is worse. But we're moving on, so -
Very well, would you rather we talk through PMs? I'm quite at a loss as to what it is which is I that has occurred and would much appreciate knowing what it is, so that we may avoid hostilities in future. For sure, I thought our conversation was rather light hearted, unless you adhere to the Jedi religion.

Oh, come on, this again? I have two explanations that may sway you from your incessant demonization:
  • Poe's Law, except for smug liberals.
  • Get a sense of humor you British basement-dweller. It wasn't that funny, but... imagine that I had said WAKE UP SHEEPLE, STEEL FUEL CAN'T MELT JET BEAMS instead. You'd know that I was kidding, right? The issue with pretending-to-be-a-smug-liberal-as-seen-by-LW is that a. it's too similar to liberals, it's something that people could actually say seriously and b. he already sees me as a smug liberal. Too close to home basically.
Basically, when in doubt, assume that I'm being tongue-in-cheek. You'll usually be right.  ▲√╕
It is a great source of amusement to me that you make such great notions of general offence whilst complaining I don't share your sense of humour, which is to say the least, as flattering as calling someone a British basement-dweller. What is the joke if not merely mocking someone else, if so, why are you so wounded when others point out the very obvious - you are unironically portraying the smug liberal. What is for b. cannot even be said to be true, as I see you as nobody in particular, the only forumite for whom I hold an ascribed personality to is Necro910 who was banned many moons ago for spamming Magma throughout the forums - a very memorable personality.
General tip for life is that if you wish to unload bants, learn bants first. If you're going to pretend you're the great pretender, don't be so shocked when others draw obvious parallels with Jojo's bizarre adventure.

Leaders coming from the workers instead of the rich elite who got their degrees by virtue of inheritance? That sounds great, LW. I'm totally agreeing with you. Do you know why? It's because you aren't directing any personal attacks at me, and so I'm able to consider your points instead of getting angry and defensive. I never thought that I would be able to teach a non-troll about Internet etiquette, but here I am, explaining that insulting and attacking people is not a good idea. *sigh* My five-year-old brother could tell you that.
It's honestly disappointing in this day and age that the boundaries of what is trolling has become "stuff I don't like". There is a very simple question to ask here, who is Loud Whispers? Who is Dozebom Lolumzalis? These are not people, these are nobodies. There is simply no personality to attack, and I've yet even to see where I have attacked you. I could point to where you have done so me, but even when you're calling me a British basement dweller there is no me there to attack, it is pointless. I find it bemusing that you are incapable of considering my points, getting angry and defensive with yourself - simply put, your conduct fits the definition of troll, mine does not. By your own admission your conduct was a deliberate attempt at being insincere, playing the smug liberal so as to mock your "enemy" - or else you were unironically being the smug liberal caricature. Either way, your advice to develop a sense of humour is much appreciated, if you appreciate it with me :P

Consider this DL, I got along greatly with mainiac who would say stuff like I should fucking think for once e.t.c., and I much respected mainiac despite our relatively polar opposite mannerisms (and our completely adversarial stance on international fishing rights & maritime claims). We are much more similar, as far as I can tell agree on most all everything, yet something about who I am is a dreadful occurrence to you. Idk what is occurring, and I should stress there has been no sarcasm in all I've written thus far. Except the one thing about Jedi.

I can agree with most of that (and your venting is excused), but the caveats I would add is that even practical skills can become out of style. If someone is currently in a trade school to learn how to drive a 16 wheeler, and comes out to find they've been rubbed out by machines, then their life is just as ruined as someone who decided to go into psychology. And that those more esoteric can help to make someone well rounded. Someone who learn about older archtecture styles or history might appreciate the significants of older buildings or monuments where as someone who's just an engineer might just see them as ineffecient.
As for the politicians *shrug* I think all walks of life should be allowed to become politicans so that as many people as possible has someone to champion. If you make so that only people from group X are allowed political power, then only group X's needs will be met and everyone else will be at the mercy of group X.
Side question: Speaking of skills going out of style, when did that happen to philosophy? It seemed like a philosopher was a fairly respected vocation until very recently.
I saw the whole practical skills thing as secondary to the academic pursuits, but yeah you're right there's nothing intrinsically special about only the most general of practical skills (stuff like maritime skills, first aid skills, at a stretch, work with textiles). Best to have people who don't put all their eggs in one basket, practical, academic or STEM - reminds me of the Greek scientists who had to make a living as drivers when their economy imploded. I also don't think the University holds a monopoly on learning, one does not need to study architecture to appreciate old architecture or indeed, to study it - and I know a fair few engineers who would take it as a mortal insult to be insinuated as such xD
Philosophy also doesn't seem to have gone out of style, just as other humanities like the various Literature degrees, History degrees and so on were seen as employable. I reckon the "problem" is there are too many graduates from them. I put "problem" in quotation marks because it's like you said before, a problem to do with how the degree directly relates to the paycheck and not the pursuit of knowledge, but yeah that's how it is. They may not be out of style, but if you have so many graduates all with history or philosophy or something like that, without a sudden increase in available jobs suited to those degrees, the glut of possible employees allows for the most efficient selection of the best candidates (which entails getting rid of most all prospecting graduates).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's probably why STEM degrees are so valuable; they teach intrinsically valuable skills that are pretty much always in demand, not everyone can do STEM degrees so there isn't a glut of graduates, and vocational degrees are better able to give students direct work experience relevant to their future career path than a general degree (where it is completely up to the student to pursue relevant experience).

Dogmatism is always wrongheaded.
Be it "this is a Christian nation!", or, " support our troops!", or any other typically rightwing mantra, the "conservativism is teh evulz!", " its just the Republicans blocking every good thing proposed!", and "we gotta get our guy in!" Are just as bad.
I don't think they're just as bad, I think it's just irrelevant who's the worst. No one in society walks around fucking other people over just because someone else is doing it worse, yet when it comes to politics it seems we're more capable of rationalizing this, really we should have more grinches bah humbuggering their own sides for acting quite the bellends (regardless of what their foes are doing!)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14238 on: November 28, 2016, 06:04:54 pm »

What are we talking about? It looks like the pages upon pages of YOU'RE A SMUG LIEBRAL and YOU'RE MAKING ME ANGRY YOU WOULDN'T LIKE ME WHEN I'M ANGRY have finally stopped.

Spoiler: I didn't read any of it because ugggghhhh

LW stopped talking to me, I realized that most people weren't attacking me and that I didn't have the best viewpoint from which to observe liberalism, I realized that LW was trolling, and the conversation moved on. Now we're discussing liberalism in colleges, and trying to figure out why things are the way they are.

ugggggghhh I agree, I'd hate that British troll if it weren't half my fault and if he didn't make NECROBACON

This is why people attribute smug self-assurance to liberals.

"You're smug and self-assured." -> "No I'm not, reality has a liberal bias."
"I disagree with you, this is why." -> "You're just a troll!"
"The leftist core is smug and arrogant." -> "Yeah but so's the right!"

Believing yourself to be the lesser asshole does not make it okay to be an asshole. When you are accused of dismissing all dissenting opinions out-of-hand and you blindly dismiss the accusation as trolling, there might be something worth pondering there.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14239 on: November 28, 2016, 06:09:14 pm »

Okay, and Dozebom is probably going to dislike this, but you're arguing with a high schooler and using that to judge a large portion of liberals. The left seems to constantly get judged by kids on Tumblr and nobody bats an eye, while everyone realizes it's ridiculous as soon as the reverse happens (Pepe).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:12:46 pm by penguinofhonor »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14240 on: November 28, 2016, 06:16:31 pm »

Okay, and Dozebom is probably going to dislike this, but you're arguing with a high schooler and judging a large portion of liberals. The left seems to constantly get judged by kids on Tumblr and nobody bats an eye, while everyone realizes it's ridiculous as soon as the reverse happens (Pepe).
Spoiler: tfw (click to show/hide)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14241 on: November 28, 2016, 06:18:32 pm »

Okay, and Dozebom is probably going to dislike this, but you're arguing with a high schooler and judging a large portion of liberals. The left seems to constantly get judged by kids on Tumblr and nobody bats an eye, while everyone realizes it's ridiculous as soon as the reverse happens (Pepe).
Spoiler: tfw (click to show/hide)
Warning: explicit image of an antropomorphic frog
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14242 on: November 28, 2016, 06:19:08 pm »

That isn't how you make frog legs!

Or

How pepe spent the day at the spa.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14243 on: November 28, 2016, 06:19:31 pm »

Explicit?

1. It's not green
2. It has temperature markings and a red mercury line.

#imjustsaying
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14244 on: November 28, 2016, 06:21:22 pm »

Oh, it's a very explicit depiction of "frog in boiling water", with explicit use of pepe for troll comedy value.

Explicit is a valid adjective. ;)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14245 on: November 28, 2016, 06:22:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Explicit?

1. It's not green
2. It has temperature markings and a red mercury line.

#imjustsaying
Make all the excuses you like. We know the truth.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14246 on: November 28, 2016, 06:24:08 pm »

Goodness, he's just getting a full body exfoliating skin treatment on a budget. :)

All natural, no harsh chemicals!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14247 on: November 28, 2016, 06:26:26 pm »

Warning: explicit image of an antropomorphic frog
You missed 'Racist' on that explanation :P
This frog is more sinister than you could ever realize. This frog, is a PREDATOR

Goodness, he's just getting a full body exfoliating skin treatment on a budget. :)

All natural, no harsh chemicals!
One degree centigrade at a time, the natural way

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14248 on: November 28, 2016, 06:26:56 pm »

everyone knows 100 degrees is only, like, half the boiling point of water, man, but it's not far from body temperature #USA

Is that a C? Naaaah.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14249 on: November 28, 2016, 06:31:12 pm »

100c=212f.

The more you know.

Whispers:

Well, the spa USED to do it quickly, but got too many complaints. The number of dissatisfied customers dropped to zero after instituting the "slow and relaxing" rule. ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:33:42 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1249