Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395152 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13830 on: November 23, 2016, 07:08:26 pm »

I wonder how much echo chambers contributed to Rome's demise?....

No idea if we're having it the worst of any country outside of the ones that completely shut down opposing views.... The fact that the world seems aghast at what the hell we're doing is probably a good clue.

We already have the foundations for a parliamentary system with multiple parties, but at this point, it'd probably take a dictator to achieve that at a significant pace.

"Test everything, hold fast to what is good." seems like a nice middle road.

That would be fine if we could freely restructure society as seriously and frequently as we want. We can't. The years it takes to implement a policy, see how it works in the real world, then shut it all down if it doesn't would be ruinous if we just did it willy-nilly. Conservatism is an extremely important check on chaotic "progress."

It's meant on a more personal level.

Again, what is 'good' are almost polar opposites on either side, even on a personal level. There's hardly any centrists and 'moderate Republicans' are an endangered species.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:10:29 pm by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13831 on: November 23, 2016, 07:10:32 pm »

Wars have been fought, and thousands killed over imaginary gods that exist only as feelings.

It is foolish to dismiss such facts, or to expect it to just go away because you have proof that satisfies you. That is why it is depressing.

These people will fight you, with weapons if need be, because of their feelings.

Dismissal is wrong in so many ways.
What the hell am I dismissing, though? I am not particularly disputing the fact that the anti-progressive people are incredibly dangerous for the long-term survival of humanity and must be worked against in order to preserve it, with hopefully better results than what was shown by Democrats this election season.

Also, you are misinterpreting a single one line statement to disastrous effect.

It is meant to convey that there are no absolutes, only percieved differences based on frames of reference. Not that everything is everything else too.
Bullshit. There are absolutes. Mathematics is an obvious one. Mathematics gives us an absolute base of truth, infinitely large in scope and magnificence. Science, as built on mathematics, also inherits some of that truthness, though obviously to a lesser extent - but it's still different from things that are either not based on mathematics, or based on the weaker mathematical base - like, for example, climate change denial. Which is one of the core staples of the modern anti-progressivism.

The entire point that weird is making is that you need to see it from multiple points of view and not be boxed (or bubbled) into one echo chamber. Which is a real problem today with people isolating themselves into filter bubbles and echo chambers, which is how we got to the polarized state we are in. Read the wiki page on the parable.
You know, I have seen the world from different viewpoints before, smjjames. I know a lot of stuff about that from inside-out. The reason why I abandoned stuff like, say, denial of human influence on climate change, or belief in communism being a better economical system than capitalism, or basically every single thing that anti-progressivist people believe in, is because their facts, which the proponents of these theories have used to back their arguments up, were weak as hell once I've started poking around, investigating and trying to see the whole picture, while the opposition one were, in fact, pretty strong, and only seemed weak because of those fucking echo chambers that you talk about.

Stop trying to make me "see the light", because I already saw it. And it didn't really pan out well for anti-progressivism. Very much not.

EDIT: for example, one of the most common ways I've heard some liberals talking about how the left/right divide is going to be overcome is that the conservatives will die off and liberals will win by default. I've been guilty of that sentiment in the past myself, but I'm really starting to question the thinking behind that. That's almost the exact definition of head-in-the-sand thinking and we as liberals should steer away from such sentiment. Pretending we don't have to engage with the opposition because "they'll be dead soon" is not the way forward.
Yes, obviously that strategy of dismantling anti-progressive agenda was wrong. But that doesn't mean that we should start to switch our goals. Merely our methods. As a part of them, it could be good to first go for a little bit of "engaging with opposition", though I doubt that it would really work out - remember, Republicans were the ones that almost defaulted the world economy over one fucking piece of legislation because "Nobama", not Democrats.

But any such kind of action must be done while keeping in mind that in the end, they must be prevented from implementing their horrible ideas to power long-term, because it would screw everyone and everything up.

I guess it could help to clean the house of liberalism from the anti-liberal parasites, though. I think the thing that has to go first is the idea of "true identity", be in sexual, gender, or any other kind, as this sort of brand which is marked on your body from your birth, doesn't change over life and fully describes who you "really" are, how you should feel about stuff, how you should act in various situations, to a frighteningly deep extent, where you could substitute your entire persona with an additive fucking combination of these "true identity" labels, and people will somehow praise this as a "sign of your high individuality and rich internal something" - or use them as quick way to denigrate people real hard - and for the rest of their fucking lives, too, because you see, since it's a "true identity", it cannot be changed, and so if you're once a racist, you're now always have been and forever racist, both in the future and in the past, because people can't change - people just come out of the closet and reveal themselves for what they've been for their entire life!

That's probably one of the most shittier ideas that have come to be associated with liberals, and it hurts the cause of liberalism both strategically and ideologically quite a lot, since the degree to which it's being pushed by some people is bordering on fucking racism, version 2, and it obviously repulses a lot of people away.

Not that the anti-progressives are not in the habit of using labels, no, they use them a looooot, too, but they're at least "justified" in doing so because they're not, you know, liberal. They're supposed to be worse than liberals at this.
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13832 on: November 23, 2016, 07:13:21 pm »

Suprisingly, it might turn out that the 40% of people who believe in Jesus and vote for the Republicans are not the 100% slavering evil monsters that we liberals seem to think they are. Funny that.
https://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind#t-482301
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUM4akzLGE
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:25:40 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13833 on: November 23, 2016, 07:14:42 pm »

Mathematics is not physics, it is pure abstraction. Physics uses math, but math is not based on anything but itself. You are using it wrong, and thinking about it wrong.

Also, misinterpreted what I said. The nature for humans to cling to belief and feeling will never go away. It is a part of us all. They will never accept your proof as satisfactory. Never. That is what is unsafe to dismiss.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13834 on: November 23, 2016, 07:19:07 pm »

You mean 'identity politics', and yeah, it's a problem for the Democrats. Clinton tried to run on the woman card for example, but that's not their only failing.

There are some saying that Keith Ellison, one of those running for DNC chair, embodies the whole identity politics that the Dems need to get out of, but then, some are saying that some of the others that are running are just the status-quo. You could say that the Dems are undergoing a bit of an identity crisis right now. Others are saying that liberals need to get back to their modern roots in the 30s and 40s when they WERE the party of the working class.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13835 on: November 23, 2016, 07:20:23 pm »

And about time too. A shame it took electing a dangerous idiot to do it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13836 on: November 23, 2016, 07:22:18 pm »

... identity politics are a problem for humans, smj. That sort of thing is at least as prevalent for US conservatives as liberals. Treatment is different but presence largely is not.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13837 on: November 23, 2016, 07:25:35 pm »

The GOP already suffered this with teaparty, libertarianism, and pals. Note it did not pull the "Jesus loves me and wants you to vote for me" after the primaries, and the one attempt I am aware if it being used backfired hard.

Conservative != Christian, and != White.

That was the message of the electorate this cycle.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13838 on: November 23, 2016, 07:27:44 pm »

It's mainly the way that the Democrats are pushing the identity politics to the exception of everything else, I think that's what I can gather from those analyzing what went wrong and my peeks outside the bubble.

Obviously we won't ever get rid of it entirely, but identity politics are only a part of the problem that the Dems need to solve going forward.

The GOP already suffered this with teaparty, libertarianism, and pals. Note it did not pull the "Jesus loves me and wants you to vote for me" after the primaries, and the one attempt I am aware if it being used backfired hard.

Conservative != Christian, and != White.

That was the message of the electorate this cycle.

I suspect that the Republicans aren't done suffering, they just have a respite from it for a while. Also depends on how things go with Trump, he still has the potential to do incredible damage to the Republican party.

Heck, he's ALREADY catching flak from conservatives for turning away from campaign promises. I know that changing away from campaign promises is nothing new, but he was elected on a platform of change and consistency (as much of an oxymoron as that is when applied to Trump).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:29:52 pm by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13839 on: November 23, 2016, 07:30:05 pm »

Mathematics is not physics, it is pure abstraction. Physics uses math, but math is not based on anything but itself. You are using it wrong, and thinking about it wrong.
Yes, math is not based on anything but itself - which is what makes it absolutely, ontologically true! And, you see, all things are based on each other, so when we take it all together, we'll always, inevitably, at some point arrive at a situation where a collective super-thing, which we'll call as the Universe, is based only on itself - which makes it functionally identical to some certain subdivision of mathematics!

Thus, everything is, ultimately speaking, "pure abstraction", wierd. Everything!

Also, for a person who was just busy telling me to escape echo-chambers and to "see the elephant", you sure are quick to dismiss my opinion.

Also, misinterpreted what I said. The nature for humans to cling to belief and feeling will never go away. It is a part of us all. They will never accept your proof as satisfactory. Never. That is what is unsafe to dismiss.
I don't expect them to accept any "proofs" or any such horseshit. I don't want to defeat them in a logical argument, after all!
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13840 on: November 23, 2016, 07:31:58 pm »

* smjjames wonders if theres a bit of cultural misinterpretation/misunderstanding going on.....

Maybe I'm confused at you too. Dunno, I'm confused about being confused. lel

I'm talking outta my ass here I think.............
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:33:43 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13841 on: November 23, 2016, 07:40:29 pm »

Yes, math is not based on anything but itself - which is what makes it absolutely, ontologically true! And, you see, all things are based on each other, so when we take it all together, we'll always, inevitably, at some point arrive at a situation where a collective super-thing, which we'll call as the Universe, is based only on itself - which makes it functionally identical to some certain subdivision of mathematics!

Thus, everything is, ultimately speaking, "pure abstraction", wierd. Everything!

Also, for a person who was just busy telling me to escape echo-chambers and to "see the elephant", you sure are quick to dismiss my opinion.

I don't expect them to accept any "proofs" or any such horseshit. I don't want to defeat them in a logical argument, after all!

The belief in the Christian god is likewise ontologically true. Don't you know, apparent contradictions are just humans unable to grasp the divine! /s

I am not dismissing you, I am trying to show you that "anti progressives" are as unwilling to accommodate you, as you are of them, and that you will not win by force of will, and force by violence is not very progressive at all. Sidelining them and removing their voice is itself antiprogressive, and is as such, pure hypocrisy.

Dismissal instead of acceptance only pulls humanity apart. Our species is not saintly. It never will be.

As for not accepting truths, what exactly us the climate change controversy about then? Hmm?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13842 on: November 23, 2016, 07:53:54 pm »

2+2=5, wake up sheeple! Remove amth REMVOE MATH!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13843 on: November 23, 2016, 07:55:31 pm »

On a personal note if exasperation,

Why does this always happen to me? I abhor arguments, but always end up deep inside one when when I get on here in General. What gives? 

Ahh, I see hyperbole day came early again this year.

Is it because I upset echo chambers or something?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13844 on: November 23, 2016, 07:58:37 pm »

It's just because you're willing to write too many words. Just throw some snark on the pile and then run away very quickly, and you'll never get into arguments.
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1249