Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 917 918 [919] 920 921 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395402 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13770 on: November 23, 2016, 11:26:04 am »

Give it up, dude. The electoral college isn't going to revolt against Trump.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13771 on: November 23, 2016, 11:26:56 am »

There's 6 faithless electors already.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13772 on: November 23, 2016, 11:28:21 am »

Six isn't anywhere enough, and I think that's about as large as it's going to get. Grow up, accept that we lost, and come again in 2020.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13773 on: November 23, 2016, 11:29:49 am »

Come again in 2018 hopefully.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13774 on: November 23, 2016, 11:37:02 am »

You should stop the bullshit about the "popular vote". In most federations, Members get a number of votes and those votes are not directly related to the number of peoples in said members.
It makes total sense, because it allow for a representation of all groups regardless of their population. Belgium is a good example of that.

It's pretty representative of how fact aren't even factored in American debate. I never saw this argument (that this is fairly common in federation) brought up. Neither by pro nor anti Trump.

No, it shows how BS the electoral college is.

I wouldn't rule anything out yet, theres people pushing for the Republican electors to revolt, however, there's no organized effort being led by anybody. All I'm saying is that 2016 may not be done surprising us.

I agree that the electoral college isn't likely to revolt against Trump, and throwing it to the House would just be an exercise in futility.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/sean-hannity-trump-media-access-231798 Bleep off Hannity, media access includes you btw.... Also, he's evidently fallen off the cliff and is deep in tinfoil-hat land.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:40:33 am by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13775 on: November 23, 2016, 11:48:15 am »

Why exactly do we keep saying it would go to the House? If 37 Republican electors went faithless for Clinton, that'd just be a win for her from my understanding of law. Or are we going with the idea that they'd give them to McMuffin or something instead of the Arch-Democrat?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13776 on: November 23, 2016, 11:52:36 am »

Why exactly do we keep saying it would go to the House? If 37 Republican electors went faithless for Clinton, that'd just be a win for her from my understanding of law. Or are we going with the idea that they'd give them to McMuffin or something instead of the Arch-Democrat?

I'm not sure what would exactly would happen actually, the last time that it happened, it got sent to the House, but that was over 150 years ago. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:54:15 am by smjjames »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13777 on: November 23, 2016, 12:06:40 pm »

It goes to the house when nobody has the majority (270 in 2016, 134 in 1824). If enough electors go faithless to bring Hillary to 270, she wins outright. If enough go fatihless to bring Trump under 270 but don't go to Hillary, it goes to the House. The Constitution is very clear on that.

Quote from: Amendment XII to the Constitution of the United States
The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:10:45 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #13778 on: November 23, 2016, 02:15:16 pm »

I wouldn't rule anything out yet, theres people pushing for the Republican electors to revolt, however, there's no organized effort being led by anybody. All I'm saying is that 2016 may not be done surprising us.

So you'r saying there's a chance for Harambe?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13779 on: November 23, 2016, 02:22:03 pm »

It goes to the house when nobody has the majority (270 in 2016, 134 in 1824). If enough electors go faithless to bring Hillary to 270, she wins outright. If enough go fatihless to bring Trump under 270 but don't go to Hillary, it goes to the House. The Constitution is very clear on that.

Quote from: Amendment XII to the Constitution of the United States
The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.

Either one would be a political earthquake because it's unprecedented in modern times. Though the first one would be unprecedented, period, because it hasn't happened before.

Anyway, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/23/jill-stein-election-recount-fund-michigan-wisconsin-pennsylvania , Jill Stein is taking the initiative if Clinton won't, or can't due to political optics. She needs the funding though, and fast.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13780 on: November 23, 2016, 02:49:17 pm »

It will be ironic if the pro-GOP people are now the ones downplaying the possibility of electoral fraud.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13781 on: November 23, 2016, 02:58:26 pm »

Ain't Murrican election machines cheap and/or old crap in the first place?

IF electoral fraud happened, we had it coming.  IF it was a malfunction, we also had it coming.  Tentatively, I'd wager the latter is more likely to happen.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13782 on: November 23, 2016, 02:59:14 pm »

Oh geez.  Here goes, eh?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13783 on: November 23, 2016, 02:59:48 pm »

You should stop the bullshit about the "popular vote". In most federations, Members get a number of votes and those votes are not directly related to the number of peoples in said members.
It makes total sense, because it allow for a representation of all groups regardless of their population. Belgium is a good example of that.

It's pretty representative of how fact aren't even factored in American debate. I never saw this argument (that this is fairly common in federation) brought up. Neither by pro nor anti Trump.

No, it shows how BS the electoral college is.

... is it illegal in the US to look at how other countries work or what?

That would make NO SENSE for a federation to just give the lead to whoever win the most citizen votes. Simply look at the EU.

Actually that's yet another proof that Americans are uninformed, any true information source should mention this fact.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13784 on: November 23, 2016, 03:02:11 pm »

From what I've seen, people on both sides have voiced concerns in the past. Nobody is actually saying it's fraud, it's more 'we need to take a closer look at this'. Also, nobody pro-GOP (or GOP even) has spoken on it yet AFAIK.

It may turn out to be nothing, or it may be something serious that requires a recount or an audit or something.

Ain't Murrican election machines cheap and/or old crap in the first place?

IF electoral fraud happened, we had it coming.  IF it was a malfunction, we also had it coming.  Tentatively, I'd wager the latter is more likely to happen.

If it was a malfunction, it would have to affect a LOT of machines and we don't know if the same machine was used in the whole of all three states. If the same machine was NOT used in all three states and it's several different machines, that makes a malfunction a LOT less probable.
Pages: 1 ... 917 918 [919] 920 921 ... 1249