Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395769 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13365 on: November 19, 2016, 06:10:30 pm »

I'm just curious how it would have turned out if the EC was poportional, I'm not trying to decide on 'what's a better system' based on whether I like who would be elected via that system.

I was more thinking of anyone who thinks "popular vote" is the be-all-end-all solution to all problems, because that's how people usually phrase it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13366 on: November 19, 2016, 06:12:36 pm »

But it's so simple, see
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13367 on: November 19, 2016, 06:17:43 pm »

Well no, going directly popular vote from the start wouldn't work, we all saw how that went during the Republican primaries. I know the primaries don't go by popular vote, but this past primary is a perfect illustration of it's shortcoming. Sure, the not-Trump voters likely outnumbered the Trump voters, but the not-Trump votes were heavily divided among many candidates, which divides up the popular vote.

But it's so simple, see

It may be simple, yes, but when you have more than two choices, like say 5, and all of them do well, the 'popular vote' isn't quite 'popular vote' in the absolute sense.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:22:34 pm by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13368 on: November 19, 2016, 06:26:50 pm »

IRV for primaries would avoid that problem altogether, and reduce the negative campaigning a lot. Basically, primary voter's preferences would be recorded, then if your first pick drops out, their vote share would be re-allocated accordingly.

This would cause two things:

- prevent an unpopular maverick being the only viable candidate because all the sane people were too similar. So prevent "Trumps" gaming the system.

- cut WAY back on the negative campaigning during primaries. Because e.g. Sanders voters really want Clinton voters to put them second, and vice-versa. So you only lose by alienating each other's supporters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13369 on: November 19, 2016, 06:42:59 pm »

I'd like to add another one:

-Large slates (though not as big as the 17 we had this year on the Republican side, yeesh) would be more viable due to the removal of the spoiler effect. Though large slates like that usually got whittled down to a manageable number well before voting actually started, which didn't happen this election season.

Currently, I think Louisiana is the only one with IRV or something like that for it's state level.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:45:59 pm by smjjames »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13370 on: November 19, 2016, 06:52:49 pm »

edit: Btw, your math is outdated Reelya, Clinton has a 1 million plus pop vote lead on Trump.
Clinton's up 1,677,041 by the latest numbers I can find. That's still not complete; full counts generally take a while.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13371 on: November 19, 2016, 07:40:54 pm »

Maths are awesome to make no sense at all. One of our cities decided that, since 20% of our population seems to have objections against Black Pete being black, that the best solution for this year's Saint Niclas' parade would be to have 80% black black Petes, and 20% differently coloured black Petes.
Aah, I'm familiar with this sort of math. I was an expert on it in my youth. For example, the basic of logic is the syllogism, consisting of a major and a minor premise and a conclusion — thus an example from the Devil's Dictionary:
  • Major Premise: Sixty men can do a piece of work sixty times as quickly as one man.
  • Minor Premise: One man can dig a posthole in sixty seconds
Thus:
  • Conclusion: Sixty men can dig a posthole in one second.
It concludes by noting that this syllogism arithmetical is a combination of both logic and mathematics, meaning "We obtain a double certainty and are [thus] twice blessed."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13372 on: November 19, 2016, 08:51:54 pm »

I posted a general example of an idea over in the SuperCaliFragileExitBecauseTrump'sAtrocious thread which I quite like the more I look at it:

Presidential candidates choose a running mate, that running mate becomes a part of the house when the candidate wins, runner-up becomes the VP with their senate tie-breaking, transition of power is candidate > running mate before VP enters into it, alter the rules a bit so the running mate is the one with the "president is sick/crazy" option, if they use it then the next in line becomes the VP, and the vp running mate takes the house position, whatever it is. Set it up so the winner and runner-up gain more from working together and are able to accomplish more instead of constantly pitting them against each other.

A Trump who was trying to work to accomplish things with Clinton, and Pence in place to discourage the whole "well, let's just take out Trump!" ideas straight up, would lead to a less divisive election process, and a more productive term I suspect. Plus Mittens would have been in a much better position to run this year if he was coming off of an Obama/Romney term.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13373 on: November 19, 2016, 09:10:57 pm »

I posted a general example of an idea over in the SuperCaliFragileExitBecauseTrump'sAtrocious thread which I quite like the more I look at it:

Presidential candidates choose a running mate, that running mate becomes a part of the house when the candidate wins, runner-up becomes the VP with their senate tie-breaking, transition of power is candidate > running mate before VP enters into it, alter the rules a bit so the running mate is the one with the "president is sick/crazy" option, if they use it then the next in line becomes the VP, and the vp running mate takes the house position, whatever it is. Set it up so the winner and runner-up gain more from working together and are able to accomplish more instead of constantly pitting them against each other.

A Trump who was trying to work to accomplish things with Clinton, and Pence in place to discourage the whole "well, let's just take out Trump!" ideas straight up, would lead to a less divisive election process, and a more productive term I suspect. Plus Mittens would have been in a much better position to run this year if he was coming off of an Obama/Romney term.

So, under your plan, the top of the ticket becomes president, the running-mate becomes the Speaker of the House, then the other top of the ticket that lost becomes the winner top tickets VP? That doesn't make any sense to me......  didn't we have something like this before the 1800 election? With the runner up becoming VP, but that got amended because wierd stuff happened, not sure.

What happens to the runner up's VP pick?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13374 on: November 19, 2016, 09:18:18 pm »

Yeah I wouldn't be happy with that because you're choosing between Obama/Romney and Romney/Obama in 2012 and between Clinton/Trump and Trump/Clinton: e.g. the same ticket on both sides except with the names reversed.

A slightly better way might be to have two VPs, one your running mate and the other the opposition candidate (or their running mate if they refuse the position). Then the Prez and both VPs form a triumvirate and vote on all Prez matters. Also, put a rule in place as well that each of the triumvirate needs to side with each of the others a specified minimum amount of the time in votes, so that they are forced to play a compromise shell game rather than always voting down the opposition. That would ensure that the minor candidate wins 1/3 of presidential decision votes rather than 0%

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13375 on: November 19, 2016, 09:19:58 pm »

Not sure, just an outline of an idea like I said, trying to find a way to have the presidency be a thing that works broadly rather than pushing for appeal to a single group of voters.

As Reelya said, there are various problems but shit, can't be worse than "well, your side won [part a] but we won [part b] so we're going to make sure nothing you try gets done" like we have now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13376 on: November 19, 2016, 09:25:34 pm »

Yeah I wouldn't be happy with that because you're choosing between Obama/Romney and Romney/Obama in 2012 and between Clinton/Trump and Trump/Clinton: e.g. the same ticket on both sides except with the names reversed.

A slightly better way might be to have two VPs, one your running mate and the other the opposition candidate (or their running mate if they refuse the position). Then the Prez and both VPs form a triumvirate and vote on all Prez matters. Also, put a rule in place as well that each of the triumvirate needs to side with each of the others a specified minimum amount of the time in votes, so that they are forced to play a compromise shell game rather than always voting down the opposition. That would ensure that the minor candidate wins 1/3 of presidential decision votes rather than 0%

Point to me a country (whether modern or ancient/no longer around) that has tried that with success. Seems like that would just lead to power struggles, not to mention screwing with the order of succession should something happen to the President. Editwhiletyping: Didn't Rome have something close to this? At least during it's pre-emperor days.

Not sure, just an outline of an idea like I said, trying to find a way to have the presidency be a thing that works broadly rather than pushing for appeal to a single group of voters.

As Reelya said, there are various problems but shit, can't be worse than "well, your side won [part a] but we won [part b] so we're going to make sure nothing you try gets done" like we have now.

It would be better to try what does work and feels like the best fit for us. I know we'd ('we' being the US in general) be all like 'But we gotta be unique!!', but no two election systems are exactly the same, so there.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13377 on: November 19, 2016, 09:32:48 pm »

Real old bit here, so it's in spoilers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Question on the small scale here (and that I lack time to browse the latest pages >_> Sorry!), I've read that the electoral colleges are the ones that 'vote in' the president and others at that level? But I've heard that Clinton 'conceded' so...that means Trump is officially president then? I don't get what's going on given the date and time and discussions happening between what's being mentioned. x_x
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:35:45 pm by Tiruin »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13378 on: November 19, 2016, 09:33:59 pm »

It certainly has a history.

While I wouldn't be necessarily opposed to having a 2 or 3 person executive head, the change I think would probably be the best is making the Department heads elected officials. It isn't like half the Presidents don't just fill them with inappropriate people anyway, and hell, now we've even got a completely inexperienced President-elect.

At the very least it would allow some more say over the function of the executive branch. That said, I would not approve of this until they were subject to a Vote of No Confidence as well.
Question on the small scale here (and that I lack time to browse the latest pages >_> Sorry!), I've read that the electoral colleges are the ones that 'vote in' the president and others at that level? But I've heard that Clinton 'conceded' so...that means Trump is officially president then? I don't get what's going on given the date and time and discussions happening between what's being mentioned. x_x
In December, the electoral college voters will formally cast the votes they were assigned during the election, but that's just procedure. Clinton conceding just means there's not going to be any (more) shit about contesting the election. People started calling Trump the President-elect after he passed 270 electoral votes on election night.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:36:21 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13379 on: November 19, 2016, 09:46:49 pm »

It certainly has a history.

While I wouldn't be necessarily opposed to having a 2 or 3 person executive head, the change I think would probably be the best is making the Department heads elected officials. It isn't like half the Presidents don't just fill them with inappropriate people anyway, and hell, now we've even got a completely inexperienced President-elect.

At the very least it would allow some more say over the function of the executive branch. That said, I would not approve of this until they were subject to a Vote of No Confidence as well.

If you mean have people elect the Cabinet members, that'd be a horrible idea, mainly because a lot of people would have no clue as to who those people are. If you mean have the House+Senate (or maybe just the House) select Cabinet members, that wouldn't change things. If you mean making them elected officials only, that would be kind of limiting because. well, it just seems kind of limiting, I don't have an argument to offer atm.
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 1249