Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392270 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12810 on: November 15, 2016, 07:51:37 pm »

It is written, only Link can defeat Bannon
Bannon banned.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12811 on: November 15, 2016, 08:00:33 pm »

Oh shit no, we don't need another America. Especially not another oldAmerica.

That gave me an idea about an alternate world thing where they find there's another identical Earth parallel to this one, and Earth-1 America ends up at war with Earth-2 America. Basically both Americas decide the last thing they need is another country equally powerful as themselves to exist, so they both start plotting to nuke each other through the wormholes.
Oh fuck yes. I will steal that idea, thank you very much. I've been wanting to write something, but I never thought up a good-enough prompt. That problem is no longer a problem, heh. Although I wonder if it could be improved by:

1. Having them in different time periods, like my original thought?
2. Having slight historical differences that result in a different America?

[DERAIL_INTENSIFIES]
Merchant Princes series by Stross does the different time periods thing as I recall.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12812 on: November 15, 2016, 08:06:36 pm »

]
Now, the GOP being weaselly little shits they are, there's all sorts of things that could turn that guess on its head. Trump screws up enough and public opinion turns on him hard, you're more likely to see some noise towards the alt-right & co shitheels. It actually turns out he's not a disaster and somehow or another what he's been saying he wants to do works, or he manages to 180 on it hard enough without the base revolting on him, and sentiment actually starts rising, then you're probably going to see politicians warm up to the guys in question. Somewhere in between, where things go as expected but folks aren't as quick to get pissed about it, things'll stay about the same. Tbh, so far as the US right goes, that second one is probably our worst outcome. Further normalization of that sort of conservative and more expressing of their voice and messages is a distinct loss for just about anyone approaching sane in this country.
So you're saying that the worst outcome is that our President does not fuck up and/or hurt a whole lot of people for the sake of jack shit.

I understand what you're trying to get at, but take a moment to think about what you're saying for a moment, please, Frumple.

@Neonivek: The issues with those parts of feminism are far from unique to it. Any movement that has a heavy moral or identity-based foundation ends up twisting the means it prefers in pursuit of the ends, because either it's true that if they didn't they would get nothing done, or people think it is. And ends justify the means+motivated reasoning+being offended when someone challenges you on it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12813 on: November 15, 2016, 08:08:17 pm »

Another reason to kill the Electoral College.

Anyway, Trump is apparently running his transition team the same way as he runs his businesses, with multiple managers that fight each other, creating lots of internal fighting. I'm sure it'd make for some great TV, we all like some drama, right? but doing that sounds like a horrible way to run a business (though Trump somehow makes it live like an abomination), let alone a government.

Also, apparently a big source of the inflighting atm is coming from Trumps son in law, who is 'rubbing Trump's allies the wrong way' according to CNN.

edit: Also, I've heard that FDR liked to pit different advisors against each other, but I don't know what that looks like compared to whatever is happening with the transition team.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:10:59 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12814 on: November 15, 2016, 08:12:27 pm »

Yeah, I'm thinking four to eight years after trump's gone where it's actually someone bannon tier running for POTUS and folks like duke aren't just trying to gain notable footholds, or during where shit's going well enough not enough people refuse to look away if LGBT murder rates spike and hate crimes start rising. It's be nice in the short run but that's about it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12815 on: November 15, 2016, 08:14:59 pm »

The issues with those parts of feminism are far from unique to it

Yes but unlike liberalism or conservatism. Questioning feminism publically is likely to get you scorn.

Unlike saying "Perhaps we should decrease military spending" or "Perhaps we should loosen up our safety nets" which might get people disagreeing with you... but less likely to see you as a monster for saying "perhaps we should change our divorce laws to reflect women's more independent status in our society".

THAT part is unique to it.

Also yay! feminism is politics so I am on topic!

---

Then again... at the same time Feminism isn't exactly unique in the all or nothing "If you question one aspect, you are deriding the entire thing" aspect of politics either.

Its "Your either with us or against us" attitude is a corner stone of modern politics :P
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:18:55 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12816 on: November 15, 2016, 08:19:42 pm »

Yeah, I'm thinking four to eight years after trump's gone where it's actually someone bannon tier running for POTUS and folks like duke aren't just trying to gain notable footholds, or during where shit's going well enough not enough people refuse to look away if LGBT murder rates spike and hate crimes start rising. It's be nice in the short run but that's about it.

The 2018 midterms will be the one to keep an eye out for.

Its "Your either with us or against us" attitude is a corner stone of modern politics :P

Or 'My way or the highway!' and variants.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:23:22 pm by smjjames »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12817 on: November 15, 2016, 09:05:43 pm »

Anyway, Trump is apparently running his transition team the same way as he runs his businesses, with multiple managers that fight each other, creating lots of internal fighting.
Remember the infighting among Hitler's top advisors? :P

Also, apparently a big source of the inflighting atm is coming from Trumps son in law, who is 'rubbing Trump's allies the wrong way' according to CNN.
I wonder how true this Mother Jones article is?

Unrelatedly, this is somewhat encouraging: http://theconversation.com/why-trumps-vow-to-kill-obamas-sustainability-agenda-will-lead-business-to-step-in-and-save-it-68616
(as far as the environment goes, but there are other serious problems, like possibly destroying obamacare, any anti-lgbtq agenda, white nationalists in control of the white house, etc)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:12:03 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #12818 on: November 15, 2016, 09:23:05 pm »

http://www.newsweek.com/myths-cost-democrats-presidential-election-521044
And excellent read about all the bollocks liberals bought into, putting Trump into the white house. Also an interesting look at the Republican opposition research on Sanders.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12819 on: November 15, 2016, 09:26:59 pm »

the hope for the environment is that at this point the only people in the world who don't believe in global warming and protecting the environment are fossil fuel company's and republicans.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12820 on: November 15, 2016, 09:31:40 pm »

Unfortunately, that's not really true. I'd say the vast majority of people are content to constantly sit on things like "wait and see", "won't be a serious issue", "technology will deal with it", or even "doesn't matter gotta kill the Chinese". All of which allow you to accept anthropocentric climate change.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12821 on: November 15, 2016, 09:34:27 pm »

Anyway, Trump is apparently running his transition team the same way as he runs his businesses, with multiple managers that fight each other, creating lots of internal fighting.
Remember the infighting among Hitler's top advisors? :P

Not really, WWII docs don't often talk about that. Though there was that 'Night of the Long knives' where there were literal knives out for people and he did a purge.

I wonder how true this Mother Jones article is?

He is trying to run things the way he runs his business, which means including the family in the top positions. Though there's an anti-nepotism law preventing him from actually doing so for cabinet positions. And really, his 'blind trust' is a 'blindsight' trust'.

fakeedit: Mike Rodgers (who is now out from the transition team) has been replaced by Frank Gaffney, a fanatical islamaphobe. I suppose it isn't surprising Trump is drawing from the fringes......

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12822 on: November 15, 2016, 09:38:02 pm »

Unfortunately, that's not really true. I'd say the vast majority of people are content to constantly sit on things like "wait and see", "won't be a serious issue", "technology will deal with it", or even "doesn't matter gotta kill the Chinese". All of which allow you to accept anthropocentric climate change.
most people don't to shit true but its better than what it use to be. at least people get ticked off when you put lead in their water and don't go around burning tires. mostly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12823 on: November 15, 2016, 09:38:09 pm »

And excellent read about all the bollocks liberals bought into, putting Trump into the white house. Also an interesting look at the Republican opposition research on Sanders.

As well as more diatribe about how disenfranchised voters are not the problem of the United States... and that anyone who doesn't vote has no right to an opinion, no right to complain, and basically should have no voice.

Congratulations article!

Also yes I am a conscientious non-voter.

And excellent read about all the bollocks liberals bought into, putting Trump into the white house

I do find it funny that basically the narrative is switching to "The Democrats put Trump into the White House" :P

I guess even Republicans can't believe Trump has any semblance of competency and thus he needed his enemies to basically roll out the red carpet (albeit unwittingly).

With this narrative going back and forth. Whether it is "Democrats fault" or whether "Trump actually knew what he was doing" or whether "Republicans are the put upon majority being picked on by the evil democrats!" or whether "The media overfocused on Trump causing him to gain massive exposure for little money"

Though in this case it is "Bernie Supporters are the ones who put Trump in the White House" which is new.

---

But the moral of the story is...

No one believes Trump is worth a damn :P (Sorry I am finding it hilarious. The escalation of narratives to becoming accusatory has created the unintentional narrative that Trump is a big fat idiot who needed his opponents to self-destruct AND for his voters who feel victimized in order to win)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:46:51 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12824 on: November 15, 2016, 09:46:45 pm »

As well as more diatribe about how disenfranchised voters are not the problem of the United States... and that anyone who doesn't vote has no right to an opinion, no right to complain, and basically should have no voice.

Congratulations article!

Also yes I am a conscientious non-voter.

And excellent read about all the bollocks liberals bought into, putting Trump into the white house

I do find it funny that basically the narrative is switching to "The Democrats put Trump into the White House" :P

I guess even Republicans can't believe Trump has any semblance of competency and thus he needed his enemies to basically roll out the red carpet (albeit unwittingly).

With this narrative going back and forth. Whether it is "Democrats fault" or whether "Trump actually knew what he was doing" or whether "Republicans are the put upon majority being picked on by the evil democrats!"

Though in this case it is "Bernie Supporters are the ones who put Trump in the White House" which is new.

The guy also comes off as a little bit of an ass at the end. An article in The Guardian did an analysis and said that it really wouldn't have mattered and the scapegoat is false because you simply don't know where those third party votes would have gone. Ranked voting would solve that.
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1249