Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389802 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12495 on: November 14, 2016, 02:55:44 pm »

And eh, MSH, there's overlap in the fundie nutter/extreme evangelical area of the religious right. It's mostly just a catch-all for the parts of the right that even your average republican isn't entirely comfortable claiming as one of their own.
My attempt at a definition is meant to be more primary than all-encompassing. I think alt-right as a term for the secular right we're seeing now is accurate for the bulk of the movement(?). There's a fundamental difference between wanting to step on Muslims because Christ is Lord and wanting to step on Muslims because of the whole "ideology not religion, ethno-civilizations must fight" thing.

The alternate definition I would use is that the primary nature of the alt-right is "And that makes me ANGRY" factor, which I don't even mean in a pejorative way. The "fuck it all, MAGA" element seems to be shot through with this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12496 on: November 14, 2016, 02:58:38 pm »

Eh, can see that I suppose. I mostly tend to group by narrative trend, basically. If you see something reporting that Islam is an ideology I don't see much point in differentiating based on whether it's an evangelical group doing it or a white supremacist one... assuming they're not one and the same, that is. Motivation may be different but how they're going about trying to excuse it is more similar than not.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12497 on: November 14, 2016, 03:01:19 pm »

Obama Is Planning to Give Trump Some Extra Tutoring

By naming Reince Priebus and Steve Bannon as his top two advisers, President-elect Donald Trump set up a battle between the GOP Establishment and the alt-right for control of his administration — and there may be a third voice whispering in the president’s ear. The Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday that President Obama “plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do” because he realized during their meeting last week that Trump “needs more guidance.”

During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term.

One would think that Obama would spend as little time as possible with a man who repeatedly suggested that he’s the Kenyan-born founder of ISIS, but what was scheduled to be a 15-minute meeting wound up lasting 90 minutes. “As I said last night, my number one priority in the next two months is to try to facilitate a transition that ensures our president-elect is successful,” Obama said.
I don't even

This article: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/14/steven-bannon-reince-priebus-donald-trump-reign-deplorables mentions the same thing about being surprised that there would be a complete turnover of staff. Also, the article, while in a slightly sarcastic tone, makes the point that the seeds for the same divisions and infighting have been planted. So, there's a chance that the transition may get engulfed in flames.

I wonder when the last time was that there was as much infighting among the President's staff as there apparently was for Trumps campaign.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12498 on: November 14, 2016, 03:04:50 pm »

Also, I wanted to post this one up, China is already calling Trump 'naive' and threatening to cut sales of US cars and Iphones if Trump tries to pursue a trade war Though granted it's the state newspaper and not neccesarily a statement given by a diplomat to Trump.

I think they're the naive ones for underestimating Trump, I think we all know what his reaction to that would be.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12499 on: November 14, 2016, 03:04:59 pm »

Trump, please, for the love of god, give up.

*sigh*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12500 on: November 14, 2016, 03:05:36 pm »

The other thing I'd like to question about that is how the Mexican judge was being accused of being racist by Trump. Sounds like a case of pot calling the kettle black, considering the allegations that Trump isn't being racist, though that's pending evidence the judge was being racist.

Also why Crashmaster is defending Trump so much for not liking him, but that's not really important, I guess.

Trump kind of falls under what I shall call the "Good Storyteller Claus"

When there is an inconsistency or oddity in writing you are more likely to believe there is a reason for it and that it is intentional IF it is a good writer.

A Mexican Judge who is racist? Ok I could see it. Trump calling out a Mexican Judge for being racist because he is racist? Yeah I am going to need more convincing.

Doesn't help that Trump before he even stepped into office AND ignoring the election campaign is so far a pretty lousy President.

Trump, please, for the love of god, give up.

*sigh*

I swear Trump picked his VP as blackmail. "You think I am bad? Well, I can just step down at anytime and my VP can step in"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12501 on: November 14, 2016, 03:09:26 pm »

Pence would be marginally better only by the fact that he is more sane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12502 on: November 14, 2016, 03:10:46 pm »

See, smj, that's the problem. Your statement is incredibly questionable. Pence is more focused. Less crazy (or at least willing to act it)? Harder to tell on that front.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12503 on: November 14, 2016, 03:12:37 pm »

Ask again two months in. We don't know, yet.

... also, those aren't mutually exclusive, so, uh. We could get both!
Ask not!
Ask!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12504 on: November 14, 2016, 03:14:22 pm »

Pence would be marginally better only by the fact that he is more sane.
Noooooooo he would be worse because he's sane. Sane-Bad-Wrong-Republican is worse than Trump.

CNN's 'Unprecedented': Trump told Christie he didn't think he'd last past October 2015

"Trump told Christie in 2015 that he didn't expect to make it past October—at which point he would endorse Christie, according to a Christie adviser who asked not to be named in order to speak about behind-the-scenes maneuvers," according to the book, written by CNN's Thomas Lake with reporting from Jodi Enda, Susan Baer and CNN's political team.

"I think they always had an understanding that the first one out would probably endorse the other," the adviser said.
If this was fiction, it would be said to be completely non-realistic.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12505 on: November 14, 2016, 03:14:39 pm »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12506 on: November 14, 2016, 03:15:49 pm »

Islam is not an ideology against Western culture, or have you completely ignored the bajillion Muslims living in the States peacably?

IS isn't even Islamic.

"At odds". Western culture is rooted in tolerance despite the fears of some (and loony hopes of others), a melting pot. Islam does not have a very good record and seems to be quite behind the times in terms of tolerance. To not tolerate the intolerant is of course a no-win trap.

Because Crashmaster does like Trump, just like Covenant and half the people who got banned. These discussions are blatantly coming from a patronizing stance of "I can't let these braindead lefties know I want to Make America Great Again, so I'll just JAQ' off while subtly praising Trump until they learn better".

"If only closed minds came with closed mouths." You can keep your thinly veiled personal attacks and your one-sided circle-JURQ of a thread and stew in it by yourselves then.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12507 on: November 14, 2016, 03:17:15 pm »

Also, I wanted to post this one up, China is already calling Trump 'naive' and threatening to cut sales of US cars and Iphones if Trump tries to pursue a trade war Though granted it's the state newspaper and not neccesarily a statement given by a diplomat to Trump.

I think they're the naive ones for underestimating Trump, I think we all know what his reaction to that would be.
Wow. American-Chinese trade war going against the whole idea of WTO? This is entertaining. This can screw lives of billions but should it happen than we will have a very not boring 2017.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12508 on: November 14, 2016, 03:18:35 pm »

See, smj, that's the problem. Your statement is incredibly questionable. Pence is more focused. Less crazy (or at least willing to act it)? Harder to tell on that front.

Look I just can't in good conscience allow the gay community to have to deal with that monster.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12509 on: November 14, 2016, 03:20:50 pm »

..Sure, there's other things in his platform, but the hate part. Is worth. You know. Standing up too. Making sure that people aren't complacent about it...

It feels to me like the hate part has been almost entirely engineered by campaign narratives and distorted so frequently by miss-quotes, intentionally miss-leading partial quotes and generalization of xenophobia that I can only give it the same diluted consideration as the constant slinging of, 'racist,' these days ie; diddley/squat.

I've have reasonable doubts about your wolf.

When you look at the other side you can see hatred towards the SJW movement being engineered by the constant display of, 'SJW freakout ect.,' videos ending up being the main public view of the movement and yet not representative.

Did you even watch his announcement speech? I did. This is how I know he's a racist. https://youtu.be/q_q61B-DyPk?t=7m38s

1. Mexico isn't sending anyone
2. People who come over on their own are largely peaceful people who just want to live, support their families, escape violence, etc.
3. There are a few murderers and rapists among illegal immigrants, but there are among people already here too.
4. Also historically, european-americans raped, murdered, and enslaved a whole heck of a lot of people, and discrimination against non-whites continues, in housing, in jobs, in ignoring treaties signed with native americans, and in just how people act and think, generally, due to the influence of media narratives of black people as criminals and by general cultural conditioning. I'm probably forgetting some things because I am not myself black, native, latino, jewish, asian, muslim, etc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 1249