Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389542 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12435 on: November 14, 2016, 02:28:10 am »

He's-
He's.. Is he...

No fucking way.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12436 on: November 14, 2016, 02:29:25 am »

It's not really surprising. The political disaster of this is based on a lot of factors, but it's been long known that he wasn't exactly gripped with personal hate for LGBT like Pence & co. He even wrote in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage on a fairness basis back in the 90's. Even once he jumped parties his objection to Obergefell was pure "let the states decide literally everything no SCOTUS rulings ever" rather than any comment about SSM.

You might even suspect he's a part of that whole Yale thing...

Anyway, the real danger for LGBT rights is from the Supreme Court appointees he makes or Pence managing to corrupt his mind Dick Cheney-style. Or the Republican Congress deciding that now, now is the time to go full potato and try to pass a Traditional Marriage Amendment, which I'd almost welcome since I'm certain it'd backfire.

A lot of stuff is going to get fucked, but this is one of the less likely ones. Could be worse, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:33:17 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12437 on: November 14, 2016, 02:36:57 am »

When Obama took office, he told NASA to ditch the plan to revisit the moon and concentrate on sending humans to Mars in the 2030s, but Trump has set the space agency only one goal.

The president-elect wants NASA to explore the furthest reaches of the solar system by the end of the century, according to Space Policy Online.

“I will free NASA from the restriction of serving primarily as a logistics agency for low Earth orbit activity… Instead we will refocus its mission on space exploration.”

Then, shortly before Election Day, the new president-elect recruited former Republican congressman Robert Walker, who chaired the Science, Space, and Technology Committee in the 1990s, to help draft a plan for NASA.

Trump’s new space policy, heavily influenced by Walker, is designed to coordinate public and private efforts to maximize American efforts to explore the entire solar system. That includes mining valuable minerals from the asteroid belt and visiting Jupiter’s moon Europa, perhaps the best place to find alien life near Earth.

Trump plans to bring back the National Space Council, last in operation under George H.W. Bush, explore deep space, and encourage commercial partners to build a new economy in low Earth orbit, Walker told Mother Jones.

“If you’re looking at technology that looks for the solar system, you are then likely to move toward plasma rockets, toward nuclear-powered rockets, certainly toward solar sails.”

The space council, headed by the vice president, would be charged with making sure each partner, NASA, the military, and commercial partners, are all playing their proper role.

The new president-elect also has plans to abandon climate research, transfer Earth monitoring funding from NASA to NOAA, and strengthen the U.S. military’s stance in orbit.
Whaaaaaaaaaaat.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12438 on: November 14, 2016, 02:43:15 am »

The new president-elect also has plans to abandon climate research, transfer Earth monitoring funding from NASA to NOAA, and strengthen the U.S. military’s stance in orbit.
I got excited for a second, but nevermind. This is fucking disgusting. Space exploration is a mission of peace and scientific advancement. Stop militarizing space, you bastard! Even the Cold War didn't manage that!
The space council, headed by the vice president, would be charged with making sure each partner, NASA, the military, and commercial partners, are all playing their proper role.
A dumb fuck like Pence probably believes all sorts of nonsense about space even if he doesn't apply his crazy religion to it, so this is even worse than it would be otherwise.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12439 on: November 14, 2016, 03:51:26 am »

star wars was planned once, didn't pan out
i'm sorry trump, you don't get to be a jedi master

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12440 on: November 14, 2016, 04:06:50 am »

... I think he wants space battleships. You know, to fight illegal space alien immigration.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12441 on: November 14, 2016, 04:17:32 am »

Fuck, he really is the Emperor.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12442 on: November 14, 2016, 04:30:08 am »

I got excited for a second, but nevermind. This is fucking disgusting. Space exploration is a mission of peace and scientific advancement. Stop militarizing space, you bastard! Even the Cold War didn't manage that!
Do you prefer to see China militarising it first? They will.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12443 on: November 14, 2016, 04:36:02 am »

So, we get LGBT rights and space warships? This might not be too bad. :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12444 on: November 14, 2016, 04:36:43 am »

Do you prefer to see China militarising it first? They will.
This right here is the kind of twisted logic that leads us to the eternal war timelines. If the spacefaring nations of the world keep to a mutual agreement of cooperation and not militarizing, then that is what will happen. I know because that's the way it was for over half a century. Trump now puts it in jeopardy. Every line that is crossed cannot be uncrossed.

What I want is for the US to end its paranoid lockout of China from the international space project. I'm not scared of the Chinese. If anybody should be scared it's the Chinese themselves, for taking such a fragile path towards power.

Obey the Outer Space Treaty and stop falling prey to the base failure of the prisoner's dilemma.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12445 on: November 14, 2016, 04:43:02 am »

There's a huge downside to blowing stuff up in space - the debris tends to stay up there and pose a danger to anything else whose orbits it may cross. Destroy enough stuff and you end up triggering a Kessler cascade.

We don't have any means of sweeping debris from orbit yet, I believe, although there have been papers proposing methods of doing so, iirc.

Anyway, my point is that blowing stuff up in earth orbit or anywhere else we want to go is a bad idea and therefore space warships are kind of pointless unless the plan is to use them to bomb peeps from space (which isn't so simple as just dropping stuff - you have to expend fuel to deorbit your bomb).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12446 on: November 14, 2016, 06:05:13 am »

Trump  On whether he still believes the US electoral process is rigged and that the electoral college is problematic: “I’m not going to change my mind just because I won.” - compare with the lefties, which are complaining only now that they lost.

I'm suspicious of him as everyone else  (even if I rooted for anything but Hillary, because she would had internet localized, privatized and ultimately destroyed)  but the prospects aren't that bad.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12447 on: November 14, 2016, 06:19:51 am »

To be quite fair, the US possibly wouldn't be the first one to breach the non starwars protocol. About a year ago there were reports of Russian satellites practicing satellite intercept maneuvers around US communications sattelites. Although it's not known if they are weaponized, the manuevers strongly suggested so.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12448 on: November 14, 2016, 06:33:37 am »

To be quite fair, the US possibly wouldn't be the first one to breach the non starwars protocol. About a year ago there were reports of Russian satellites practicing satellite intercept maneuvers around US communications sattelites. Although it's not known if they are weaponized, the manuevers strongly suggested so.
Fun fact: Russia has no airforce. They have "Russian Aerospace forces". It is an official name of the branch of their armed forces. I think it tells something about Russian plans.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12449 on: November 14, 2016, 07:26:38 am »

Fun fact: Russia has no airforce. They have "Russian Aerospace forces". It is an official name of the branch of their armed forces. I think it tells something about Russian plans.
Well yeah, I know a place which develops nuclear reactors for space conditions. And when I've asked "but they're banned by international conventions", the answer was "when it will be necessary, our country will exit them".

Hell, space is already getting militarized, with space laser weapons that are being developed under the veneer of "removal of space debris for protecting space telescopes". There's no going back at this point, really.

At this point, either you get into the space arms race, or you risk your entire satellite group destroyed within the first few hours of any major war, sabotaging a large portion of your communication and geopositioning technology.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 1249