Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389556 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12180 on: November 12, 2016, 04:36:03 pm »

What does everyone here think, of George Soros?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12181 on: November 12, 2016, 04:37:11 pm »

Establishment bigshot.

Once again, this video is great and I totally agree with what the guy is saying (outside of wanting Hillary to beat Trump, of course.) Trump's victory is the left's and the Democrat party in particular's fault. What do you guys think? Do any of you know who he is?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12182 on: November 12, 2016, 04:38:01 pm »

So, Trump won the popular vote too, apparently. (Assuming that's not just a lie.)

Now what?

Where do you get that from? All the news article I see are that Hillary is widening her popular vote lead as millions of ballots in California are still being counted.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12183 on: November 12, 2016, 04:38:46 pm »

Yeah, they're straight-up lying. Google's results sheet says that Clinton is still up by about 600,000 or so.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12184 on: November 12, 2016, 04:40:46 pm »

Some states levy fines (apparently up to $1000 lolol) and/or treat it as a misdemeanor.  About half don't do anything.  So in other words, even the states are pretty okay with it bizarrely!

I might have missed where someone argued for removing the electoral college in order to change this election...  That would be silly.  TBF's petition is about having the faithless electors use the broken system we've been complaining about for decades.

MSH, I guess I see how it might be an artifact of a rushed job...  But the states barely penalize their own faithless electors.  They evidently could, but they don't.  So as long as we're stuck with it, we might as well try to use it.

...Not that it's at all likely.  A LOT of electors would have to switch.  The realistic result of this is that the Democrats look bad for trying to use it, and it gets patched up a bit.  Actual serious penalties on the states level, for example.

THIS VIDEO IS GREAT.

I have no fucking clue who this guy is, but it's great. Apparently some news guy.
I love that I have ads on, so for the first few seconds I had "This is who is to blame for Trump" under bags of Bounty toilet paper.

Seems like typical angry hindsight, not sure why you double posted it so quickly :P
Oh and more of the same massively repeated lies, lovely, thanks.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12185 on: November 12, 2016, 04:44:44 pm »

George Soros is genuinely a decent guy for a billionaire. Many of the criticisms of him fall apart when you look at the details.

e.g the say he backed coups in certain countries. That's true. But the details are important - he backed peaceful pro-democracy movements to overthrow Communist dictatorships. (Rose Revolution in Georgia is the main one).

The other one is that he "broke the bank of England". But they broke that themselves. What happened was that the Pound was heavily over-priced because of fixed exchange rates vs the Deutschemark, and the English kept buying pounds to try and prop the price up. Soros realized that they couldn't keep doing this, so he short-sold pounds (e.g. agree to sell pounds cheaper at a later date to different people). After the prices fell, then Soros bought the pounds really cheap, and then sold them for more than he bought them for. But this was what they call futures speculation, i.e. he both bought and sold the pounds after the collapse. Therefore it's impossible for him to have caused it. He was just smarter than the other investors and saw that the British government were being idiots, so exploited that. It's not his fault they were idiots.

If you look at the Republican string-pullers they ship arms to dictators to crush democracy protestors, or they bomb the crap out of places then take the oil. Soros is a kitten compared to what the other side do.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 04:52:32 pm by Reelya »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12186 on: November 12, 2016, 04:49:12 pm »

George Soros is genuinely a decent guy for a billionaire. Many of the criticisms of him fall apart when you look at the details.

e.g the say he backed coups in certain countries. That's true. But the details are important - he backed peaceful pro-democracy movements to overthrow Communist dictatorships. (Rose Revolution in Georgia is the main one).
$0.02 have been deposited to your account.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12187 on: November 12, 2016, 04:51:38 pm »

Some states levy fines (apparently up to $1000 lolol) and/or treat it as a misdemeanor.  About half don't do anything.  So in other words, even the states are pretty okay with it bizarrely!
They're okay with it because faithless electors have never changed an election, and therefore as a result the only political will to penalize them is "that's probably a good precaution". Not good enough to get strong laws.
MSH, I guess I see how it might be an artifact of a rushed job...  But the states barely penalize their own faithless electors.  They evidently could, but they don't.  So as long as we're stuck with it, we might as well try to use it.
It's not an artifact of a rushed job. It's an artifact of a 220-year old large scale political compromise after the country realized that the Articles of Confederation weren't doing the job and didn't function as a government. A compromise made between thirteen different actors of a decentralized slaveholding agrarian republic in a world where republicanism was unthinkable or treasonous. It's existence is obvious, even able to be inferred from their circumstances alone.

What isn't obvious is why we're such shit at being rid of it even though this has happened four times now, twice in living memory.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12188 on: November 12, 2016, 04:52:18 pm »

I've heard some bad-ish things about Soros (mainly the fact that he wants to overthrow government in Russia, though, which is kind of "eh" to me at this point), and recently, some good-ish things about him, too (from our economics professor - apparently Soros has got his wealth from having really creative and insightful views on the financial market manipulation).

But all of that is vague second and third-hand sources, so I basically have no solid opinion on that person.
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12189 on: November 12, 2016, 04:54:37 pm »

Generally he funds a lot of pro-democracy movements and freedom-of-press movements. That's where most of his spending goes.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 04:56:21 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12190 on: November 12, 2016, 04:55:49 pm »

Most of what I bother to remember about the guy is that the alt-right consider him to be the most powerful wizard in existence, cursed to failure in the face of the Truth.

If I had half that man's ascribed power I could turn this planet into a utopia.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12191 on: November 12, 2016, 04:57:53 pm »

Most of what I bother to remember about the guy is that the alt-right consider him to be the most powerful wizard in existence, cursed to failure in the face of the Truth.

If I had half that man's ascribed power I could turn this planet into a utopia.

Well, you can delve into the things he gets criticized for that have some basis, and you realized how banal they are. For example, what his big media outlet that he got busted funding?

the Media Matters website. So that is his big evil media plan. To fund a tiny left-liberal site run by a gay ex-conservative journalist who jumped ship, that critiques FOX news.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12192 on: November 12, 2016, 04:58:52 pm »

I've heard some bad-ish things about Soros (mainly the fact that he wants to overthrow government in Russia, though, which is kind of "eh" to me at this point), and recently, some good-ish things about him, too (from our economics professor - apparently Soros has got his wealth from having really creative and insightful views on the financial market manipulation).

But all of that is vague second and third-hand sources, so I basically have no solid opinion on that person.
>financial market manipulation is good

Lol wut? Remember a few years ago? The whole OWS thing? Remember how everyone hated the banks and other financial institutions, and now those same people are talking like they are the greatest thing ever?

You fell for the controlled opposition HARD!!!.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12193 on: November 12, 2016, 05:00:19 pm »

Uh, lag. One, you might want to remember serg's Russian. Two, you might want to re-read what they typed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12194 on: November 12, 2016, 05:00:41 pm »

An economics professor by definition thinks someone who made tons of money playing the markets is good.

Although Soros is really an outsider to the financial system, being a private investor / self-made man rather than someone attached to a bank.

Soros has in fact spent about 1/3rd of everything he's made on charities. No other billionaire has come close to that proportion.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:03:58 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1249