Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389579 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12165 on: November 12, 2016, 04:05:00 pm »

You had 8 years to change that shite system, you haven't. changing it now, like this, would be far more damaging to the U.S than the election of a "Fascist" demagogue president for 4 years.

A++ trump style illogic. Things aren't perfect now, so they've clearly not been getting better and the people in power most recently are to blame. The fact of the matter is we have been taking (slow, halting, and ultimately likely not that effective admittedly) steps towards this. And a vast majority of the progress has been done over the last eight years.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 04:06:46 pm by Criptfeind »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: November 12, 2016, 04:05:55 pm »

Quote from: PTTG??
Well, considering that the majority of voters actually preferred Hillary, violating the letter of the law would preserve the spirit, in this case.

I've been repeatedly told that the spirit of the law is to stop the high population areas from screwing over the lower population ones, so... No, it would violate both law and spirit.
Then again, it's not like a trifling thing like "law" is something Hillary actually cares about, so who knows what'll happen?

Quote from: Frumple
No, no, if folks want to continue trying to change you can take your lie in it and sod off. Live with it, maybe, but going supine because shit can't be fixed this very second is probably half the reason the bloody system's stayed as buggered as it has.

Some folks also seem to be forgetting that dems were grumbling about the EC and electoral reform all through obama's terms, and before as well. Most of the impetus towards subversion hasn't given two damns about whether it's benefiting them right this instance. They just want the system unscrewed.

Continue trying to change it? Great, that's awesome, I agree! The EC is actually just a minor part of the electoral process' problems (which is totally fucked and fundamentally flawed as a whole) but it could still use a bit of tweaking.
Trying to change it to subvert the results of an election that has already occurred under said system? Nah-uh. No can do. You don't get take-backsies, and the popular vote margin was thin as a fucking razor anyway.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 04:08:08 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: November 12, 2016, 04:12:16 pm »

Obviously, they need to rule as co-presidents. Trump can handle the tweeting, Hillary can handle the governing. #notaserioussuggestion
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: November 12, 2016, 04:13:02 pm »

Trump announces Hillary Clinton as his Secretary of State pick, civil war starts immediately.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12169 on: November 12, 2016, 04:15:30 pm »

Quote from: PTTG??
Well, considering that the majority of voters actually preferred Hillary, violating the letter of the law would preserve the spirit, in this case.

I've been repeatedly told that the spirit of the law is to stop the high population areas from screwing over the lower population ones, so... No, it would violate both law and spirit.

Ah yes, I recall how John Adams famously stated, "city people are terrible and their votes should be worth less than those of farmers for some reason."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: November 12, 2016, 04:17:48 pm »

You had 8 years to change that shite system, you haven't. changing it now, like this, would be far more damaging to the U.S than the election of a "Fascist" demagogue president for 4 years.
You mean 2 years, right?  The president doesn't change the constitution, Congress and the states do.
Also those 2 years were defined by Republicans filibustering the shit out of everything...  Reminder that they're considering removing the filibuster now that it doesn't serve them.  Shameless.

Anyway, the electoral college is designed to allow faithless electors.  Seems dumb, we've always said it's dumb, yet Republicans refused to help get rid of it.  If it bites them in the ass now, you won't see me crying.

Again, it was literally designed to allow this...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: November 12, 2016, 04:20:34 pm »

A++ trump style illogic. Things aren't perfect now, so they've clearly not been getting better and the people in power most recently are to blame. The fact of the matter is we have been taking (slow, halting, and ultimately likely not that effective admittedly) steps towards this. And a vast majority of the progress has been done over the last eight years.

Thanks for trying to insult me. i find it rather amusing.

The bottom line here is that the system people went out to vote on the 8th November was the EC system you haven't managed to change so it doesn't matter what kind of turtles carrying decrees you sent from Alaska to Washington noticing the government of the pending system change. a contract was signed by the government and its people detailing the system by which the people vote for. that written contract had completely altered how people voted or refrained from doing so. that voting system, accepted by you upon voting, had a certain outcome. you don't like that outcome so you are trying to change that by pandering to a meaningless statistics that is heavily skewed by the very same system you are trying to change. excuse my Trump levels of logic, but if i may, where the hell is the logic in all of this?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: November 12, 2016, 04:22:18 pm »

You mean 2 years, right?  The president doesn't change the constitution, Congress and the states do.
Also those 2 years were defined by Republicans filibustering the shit out of everything...  Reminder that they're considering removing the filibuster now that it doesn't serve them.  Shameless.

Anyway, the electoral college is designed to allow faithless electors.  Seems dumb, we've always said it's dumb, yet Republicans refused to help get rid of it.  If it bites them in the ass now, you won't see me crying.

Again, it was literally designed to allow this...
No it wasn't.
That's not - for some bizarre reason - the vote that matters. In an essentially two-party race.

Why is that, again?
No, that's such a widespread misunderstanding that it might as well be a conspiracy theory. Faithless electors are not and have never been the intention of the EC, they're just an unfortunate consequence of it (which is why it's illegal in so many places, and would be illegal in all of them if anything had ever been decided by a faithless elector as opposed to the protest votes they really are).

The electoral college exists as a relic of the US beta testing democracy and a Presidential system between an association of 13 different states all with very divided opinions on what that all should look like. To give you the short form, slaveholding states supported having Congress elect the President because their slave populations were counted under the 3/5ths Compromise for the number of representatives they would have, while free states supported having a direct popular vote because the lack or relative rarity of slaves meant they would have more influence electing the President.

The electoral college was the most easily agreed upon system to prevent everybody from killing each other or smothering the union in its cradle and becoming vulnerable to the European powers/Canada/each other.

We've been trying to get rid of it ever since. You might think of it as a generational curse, almost.

Totally called it on the generational curse thing, by the way.
The purpose of the electoral college is to promote mutual peace between the states who keep men in the state of perpetual slavery and those who do not.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: November 12, 2016, 04:24:06 pm »

THIS VIDEO IS GREAT.

I have no fucking clue who this guy is, but it's great. Apparently some news guy.
The circle is complete.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: November 12, 2016, 04:24:35 pm »

that voting system, accepted by you upon voting

Come now, this isn't a clickwrap software license agreement. You accept it when you're born a citizen!

(or when you apply for citizenship)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 04:41:25 pm by Crashmaster »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12176 on: November 12, 2016, 04:28:12 pm »

I'm not saying that it'd be a good thing for the electoral collage to decide on Hillary. I've, in fact, argued against it. Just that your comment on "had eight years to change" is totally untrue.

Furthermore. The contract between the people and the state is that they can vote and then the electors can do what they want. Up to and including discarding the will of the people. That's how it was before, during and after the election. Sure, it'd... Be a really bad idea for them to change. On a practical level. But the systems already placed us in a point where the outcome, no matter what it is, is fucked up.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: November 12, 2016, 04:30:45 pm »

You would need 60 million American signatures on that petition for it to actually start mean something.

And even if you do manage to get that, and by some weird chanced occurrence enough electorates betray their party and vote for her, i don't think you actually understand how bad that would be for the U.S.

Remember folks, you should only respect the results of an election when they're your preferred results. Subverting a system you'd been defending so long as it served your purpose is .

I've been saying that the process by which the president is elected is an utter pile of bullshit for a while now, and I'd still like it to be changed, but it's too late for this cycle. You made your bed, now lie in it.
I agree with you in general  (then again, I'm not American, so I'm not as invested as some), but theoretically petioning EC voters to betray their party is perfectly legal. Not all states have votes preventing that.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12178 on: November 12, 2016, 04:32:00 pm »

So, Trump won the popular vote too, apparently. (Assuming that's not just a lie.)

Now what?

I agree with you in general  (then again, I'm not American, so I'm not as invested as some), but theoretically petioning EC voters to betray their party is perfectly legal. Not all states have votes preventing that.

Yeah, it's totally legal as far as I know, but it sets a bad precedent of just sort of ignoring things whenever they feel like it suits them. It needs to be popular vote always (which Trump won anyway apparently), or popular vote and EC instead always. Not a mixture of both.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 04:34:46 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: November 12, 2016, 04:35:03 pm »

https://70news.wordpress.com/2016/11/12/final-election-2016-numbers-trump-won-both-popular-62-9-m-62-7-m-and-electoral-college-vote-306-232-hey-change-org-scrap-your-loony-petition-now/

70news dot wordpress dot com? When it shows up on 538 or the washington post or the like, rather than a blatantly pro-trump site, then I'll consider that it might be true.
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1249