Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390595 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #11430 on: November 10, 2016, 04:50:49 pm »

Now's not the time for jokes.

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11431 on: November 10, 2016, 04:53:09 pm »

The DNC was brought up by other people, I never even mentioned them until just now, since they're not really on my radar.

My main reference to the DNC was more broad: where someone was saying we shouldn't look at who was to blame. But I think we need to do that. Who how and why are all very closely linked. If the wrong person was running something, then look into how they got that job and why the position is that powerful.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 04:55:07 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11432 on: November 10, 2016, 04:53:56 pm »

To me, the pathology looks like this:

The DNC did not obey its own bylaws, and in so doing, placed all its eggs in one basket.

Specifically, they did not pay attention to the popularity of sanders, or how he gained such a large following in the primary, despite their active malfeasance against him.

Additionally, the misallocation of funds away from state senate and house races emperiled the campaigns they needed to hedge against loss.

They bet the farm on a Clinton win.

They lost.

The end.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11433 on: November 10, 2016, 04:56:03 pm »

I think we need to chill the sarcasm in here a bit as well.

Yes the DNC screwed up, but the Democrats have to sit down and figure out what went wrong. Also, I read somewhere that Bill Clinton had warned about ignoring the blue-collar white voters, so, he saw some of what was going wrong, but those outside of the High Elite circle like Sanders and Warren have a better view of what the heck went wrong.

@weird: That and their insistence on crowning Clinton as the nominee. Also, they actually gained some Senate seats and some House seats. Could have been better, yes, but better than losing seats.

They'll have to REALLY work to prevent loss in 2018 for Senate, the Republicans have the advantage there because the Dems have more seats up for election.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:01:41 pm by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11434 on: November 10, 2016, 05:02:47 pm »

Well you have hope for 2018 then. More people might have voted Democrat in the House/Senate if they knew Trump would win.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11435 on: November 10, 2016, 05:04:36 pm »

This reminds me of something. Just how valid are polls done by phone to assess vote intentions when the its not the popular vote thats the decisive factor, but the EC results?

Anyway, its kinda baffling just outright wrong the polls were. Its like they called known areas of democrat support in each state instead of just going by random numbers.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11436 on: November 10, 2016, 05:06:28 pm »

This reminds me of something. Just how valid are polls done by phone to assess vote intentions when the its not the popular vote thats the decisive factor, but the EC results?

Anyway, its kinda baffling just outright wrong the polls were. Its like they called known areas of democrat support in each state instead of just going by random numbers.
Polls can be organised by state to have EC polls, im pretty sure.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11437 on: November 10, 2016, 05:08:08 pm »

I can't blame Hillary for playing to win, including stocking the DNC with people loyal to her after her primary loss to President Obama. (and I voted for Sanders in the primary)

TempAcc: They didn't, and the polls were weighted to try to correct for sample un-representativeness, but only one was accurate-ish, and it was weighted in a more complex fashion. Also since it was only one, it was assumed to be an outlier, of course.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11438 on: November 10, 2016, 05:08:49 pm »

Most likely, polling was centered on heavy city demographics to improve respondent counts, which screwed up the results.

Suburbia is where Joe sixpack lives. Not the big city.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11439 on: November 10, 2016, 05:11:07 pm »

I half-expect that in 2018, Trump will be killed in a false-flag as a martyr so Republicans sweep the Senate and House with a vast majority (as well as plenty of state offices) so President Pence can go through with the ultimate Republican plan: de-secularize the country.
He cannot.

He will not.

If necessary I'll fucking sue him.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11440 on: November 10, 2016, 05:14:33 pm »

But you see, you cannot, because Trump will have made the sitting President immune to lawsuits to cover his own ass.
Ah ah ah-Constitution trumps all.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11441 on: November 10, 2016, 05:15:37 pm »

Not with an amendment.

If grumpy trump gets enough states on board, its all over.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11442 on: November 10, 2016, 05:18:11 pm »

2/3rds of the states?

No.
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11443 on: November 10, 2016, 05:19:09 pm »

Wouldn't explain the state polls, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin. Though Trafalgar Group seems to have done something right in Penn. and Mich.

Yeah, it is, it'll take some time for the pollsters to do their own autopsy and figure out what went wrong. The most obvious one is missing the white blue-collar voters, but it may be more complex than that. Hell, even Nate Silver needs to figure it out too.

edit: 9 new replies, ack

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11444 on: November 10, 2016, 05:19:18 pm »

Yes.

Amendment requires house, senate, and 2/3 majority of state legislatures voting for to pass.

Red states carry equal weight there. Not the EC. Fl and CA are just 2 states. Flyover land will eat you alive.
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 1249