Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392656 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #11100 on: November 09, 2016, 07:00:20 pm »

autists

No need to call people names...... or call them stupid....
This is the term they use, and an illustration of the problem.

Obviously 4chan couldn't influence an election, just like they wouldn't wear terms like that as a badge of pride.

I think it's a little bit silly to claim that 4chan won the election -- it's a good joke if we're on the Internet, but the millennial alt-righters weren't the ones who got Trump in in the end so much as the industrial sector workers and rural voters.
A ground game is about getting people motivated and active, right?

A meme is a catchy idea or image or joke which gets transferred easily, and is more or less defined by the property of being easily passed on to others.

It's absurd and easy to dismiss the idea, but you're talking about people who spent an absurd number of man-hours on a GOTV type project, who specialize in the use of dumb in-jokes and obscure references to spread ideas, and consistently worked at the goal of using memes to influence social networks while doing whatever they could to actually get people moving on the ground.

I've been watching it, it's scary, but it's no surprise that nobody expected him to win. There wasn't a "hidden core of shy voters" there was an ignored group of extremely motivated volunteers doing their damnedest to influence an election for the lulz.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11101 on: November 09, 2016, 07:01:52 pm »

We're in a world where /pol/ did get Trump elected, nobody but them saw it coming, and now they're aware of how much power they can exert via in-jokes and weaponized autism.
The whole time people were scared of the Masons, secret conspiracies, NWO, Jews... but in the end, it was the Anonymous who got the control. They're sitting in their chairs, in their dark rooms, wearing symbolic masks of a man that tried to blow up the British Parliment in the name of God.

I think it's a little bit silly to claim that 4chan won the election -- it's a good joke if we're on the Internet, but the millennial alt-righters weren't the ones who got Trump in in the end so much as the industrial sector workers and rural voters.
Memes aside, they (be it Anonymous (that, by the way, apparently said that Trump is a monster but taking them as a solid, organized group is already retarded) or just random anons) totally had noticeable impact, be it by promising relase of proofs of Clinton "treason", raiding various sites, shitting memes all over the place and so on.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11102 on: November 09, 2016, 07:02:14 pm »

Wonder if the Dems can find someone to tap into the uh, well, Trump had an army of autists volunteering for him.
...snip...

We're in a world where /pol/ did get Trump elected, nobody but them saw it coming, and now they're aware of how much power they can exert via in-jokes and weaponized autism.

It's not autism (a learning disability and processing disorder preventing the normal reading of social signals among other things). It's sociopathy (persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse) and narcissism ( exaggerated feelings of self-importance, an excessive need for admiration, and a lack of understanding of others' feelings).

These things are not like each other at all, and I and everyone on the autistic spectrum would really appreciate if if people stopped conflating the 2.

And I have aspergers, which is on the very high functioning end. We're all upset, frustrated, and terrified, and a whole bunch of feelings here, and I know you weren't aiming it at any of us, but as I said earlier, lets NOT get into that mudhole with calling people names like that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11103 on: November 09, 2016, 07:03:53 pm »

autists

Obviously 4chan couldn't influence an election, just like they wouldn't wear terms like that as a badge of pride.

If Trump followers call other people the N word, is it okay to call them the N word? No, it isn't.

Just because THEY use it doesn't make it okay for YOU to use it. And I think most of us would prefer that you don't.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:06:03 pm by smjjames »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11104 on: November 09, 2016, 07:05:39 pm »

Wonder if the Dems can find someone to tap into the uh, well, Trump had an army of autists volunteering for him.
...snip...

It's not autism (a learning disability and processing disorder preventing the normal reading of social signals among other things). It's sociopathy (persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse) and narcissism ( exaggerated feelings of self-importance, an excessive need for admiration, and a lack of understanding of others' feelings).

These things are not like each other at all, and I and everyone on the autistic spectrum would really appreciate if if people stopped conflating the 2.

And I have aspergers, which is on the very high functioning end. We're all upset, frustrated, and terrified, and a whole bunch of feelings here, and I know you weren't aiming it at any of us, but as I said earlier, lets NOT get into that mudhole with calling people names like that.

Um. Are you upset at me or at Max?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11105 on: November 09, 2016, 07:07:08 pm »

autists

If Trump followers call other people the N word, is it okay to call them the N word? No, it isn't.

Just because THEY use it doesn't make it okay for YOU to use it. And I think most of us would prefer that you don't.
I've got aspergers as well, I'm quite aware of what autism actually is, but like I said, these are the terms used by them, it's what to look for if you're interested in checking into it, it's a badge of pride for them.

You're missing the point entirely though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11106 on: November 09, 2016, 07:07:14 pm »

...snip...

Um. Are you upset at me or at Max?

I was just adding my words alongside your voice.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11107 on: November 09, 2016, 07:07:42 pm »

You should really start to use the other term that they use. You know, the one where you usually have two parts, one is a constant and the other usually denotes the "occupation" of person described. I dare you...

KEK
EKE
KEK

Actually, don't. I don't want to get in trouble because of suggesting this to you. :p
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11108 on: November 09, 2016, 07:08:12 pm »

I'd like to make prince Harry a legitimate claimant of the Kingdom of Murica.

Want to see how fast Nato will be disrupted and Britain a smoking ruin?
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11109 on: November 09, 2016, 07:08:34 pm »

Still, max, this thread probably ain't the place to make that point, not in that manner. If it ain't running into the forum guidelines it's probably getting closer than it should.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11110 on: November 09, 2016, 07:08:46 pm »

You um, might want to remove that kek square, don't want you to get banned over it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11111 on: November 09, 2016, 07:08:58 pm »

If it's the term they use, then don't use it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11112 on: November 09, 2016, 07:09:28 pm »

I'unno about that. Those industrial sector workers and rural voters quite possibly wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for the alt-right's media output, if maybe not 4chan specifically. Though it does ultimately fall on those voters, yeah. Just not entirely.
It wasn't like /pol/ cast this gigantic web over people spending little time on the Internet. Trump went to places where there are plenty of these kinds of people, he went to Pennsylvania and the rust belt states, and he did the groundwork. Hillary didn't.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11113 on: November 09, 2016, 07:10:34 pm »

If it's the term they use, then don't use it.

Which was the entire point I was trying to make with 'the N word', don't make me put the first and last letters in with asteriks in between to make it clearer as I don't want to go there.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11114 on: November 09, 2016, 07:11:18 pm »

Didn't say they did, PM. More to alt-right than the internet expressions of it, obviously enough. E: But it's pretty incestuous as news and whatnot goes, which'd be the point.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:14:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 1249