Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393106 times)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #11010 on: November 09, 2016, 04:37:06 pm »

As a counterpoint to the repeated denigration of the people who rebuilt the U.S. after WWII;

Millenials could have really used a drafting into a military funded exactly how they want it to be.
Hate to break it to you, but almost everyone who was in WWII has since died of old age, and the last time people were drafted, everyone hated it.  Furthermore the nature of military conflicts has changed greatly in the time since WWII in such a way that the draft is (perhaps temporarily, I'll grant) no long necessary or even practical.

In addition, I've heard absolutely nothing that suggests the military and intelligence branches of our government like Trump.  I HAVE heard of various officers saying they'll resign in protest if Trump brings waterboarding back.  And I do know that Trump's various kill 'em all, bomb everything, why can't we just use nukes ect. comments have not amused our five star generals.

Furthermore, military and vet polls (what few I could find) had him tying with fucking Gary Johnson, which is pathetic for a republican candidate.

You are fighting his argument, but proving his point.
In the poll you just listed Johnson was leading with POGs, the airforce, and the navy. Boots (the ones who do the dying) largely favored Trump.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: November 09, 2016, 04:37:18 pm »

I HAVE heard of various officers saying they'll resign in protest if Trump brings waterboarding back.
Now that would really help. It'd only ensure that their vacant positions will be filled with officers who don't mind torture.

Besides Trump knows far more effective forms of torture that can be employed first!

And according to my research Republicans LOVE torture. Though... they love it 33% more then Democrats.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: November 09, 2016, 04:38:24 pm »

If people are too afraid to walk around a college campus, then we have pretty amazing problems even without Trump. Calling the millennial generation ridiculously pampered and fragile is pretty cliche, but it is 100% accurate from my observations.

https://theintercept.com/2016/05/05/hate-crimes-rise-along-with-donald-trumps-anti-muslim-rhetoric/

Statistics disagree but whatever.

That "study" is laughably unconvincing and biased.
Whereas your anecdotal experience is the objective truth. an interesting proposition.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: November 09, 2016, 04:39:39 pm »

If people are too afraid to walk around a college campus, then we have pretty amazing problems even without Trump. Calling the millennial generation ridiculously pampered and fragile is pretty cliche, but it is 100% accurate from my observations.

https://theintercept.com/2016/05/05/hate-crimes-rise-along-with-donald-trumps-anti-muslim-rhetoric/

Whereas your anecdotal experience is the objective truth. an interesting proposition.

As I said before...

That's showing a correlation between Trump and Anti-Muslim violence (on a website that has clear anti-Trump Bias see: https://theintercept.com/2016/11/09/donald-trump-will-be-president-this-is-what-we-do-next/ ).
As we all know correlation =/= causation.

More realistic reasons for both Trump's calls for more scrutiny of Muslims AND anti-Muslim violence:
The increase in high profile Islamic Terrorist attacks. (San Bernardino, Orlando, Nice, Charlie Hebdo, etc.)
The Syrian Crisis (close to 1 million refugees that are likely never going back home)

Many people (not just whites 1/3 of hispanics voted for Trump) feel, sometimes for justified reasons, that their way of life is under attack. Many of these people are going to push back to various extents.
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: November 09, 2016, 04:39:55 pm »

I HAVE heard of various officers saying they'll resign in protest if Trump brings waterboarding back.
Now that would really help. It'd only ensure that their vacant positions will be filled with officers who don't mind torture.

Civilian control of the military is a fairly important principle, even (and especially) when the civilian control is disliked.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: November 09, 2016, 04:41:01 pm »

As we all know correlation =/= causation

Yeah, just because it happens after Trump speeches, especially anti-Muslim ones... it doesn't mean it is triggered by him.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: November 09, 2016, 04:41:15 pm »

It's gonna be a weird day when Trump is demanding we rape and mutilate our prisoners and the officers are trying to stop him.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: November 09, 2016, 04:42:17 pm »

My newspaper's cartoonist finally decided to make a cartoon:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: November 09, 2016, 04:42:32 pm »

trig·ger
ˈtriɡər/
noun
a small device that releases a spring or catch and so sets off a mechanism, especially in order to fire a gun.
"he pulled the trigger of the shotgun"
verb
cause (an event or situation) to happen or exist.

?????

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: November 09, 2016, 04:42:41 pm »

Yawn.   ::)

A proposition i never made.

Here is kind of the thing. The article isn't saying Trump is CAUSING anti-muslim sentiments.

So much that Trump is a TRIGGER for hate crime.

A trigger implies causation, even if you try to mask it as indirect causation. regardless, It fails to even demonstrate that.

Look, i respected and still respect you and your opinions and i am not just saying so as some sort of passive aggressive blow softening, but that "Study" is so bad i don't think it's worthy of my time, your time or any other thinking human being time. a debate on the stupidity, hypocrisy and shallowness that Saudi and Qatari funded organizations brings to U.S campuses is another thing all together, but i don't think it's quite the time and thread.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 04:47:52 pm by Vilanat »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: November 09, 2016, 04:45:19 pm »

Here is kind of the thing. The article isn't saying Trump is CAUSING anti-muslim sentiments.

A trigger implies causation, even if you try to mask it as indirect causation. regardless, It fails to even demonstrate that.

No it doesn't, you said so yourself. There are OTHER reasons why it is happening. The fact that it increases in response to Trump is unrelated, he is only a trigger for the tension that already exists. A needle that popped a balloon that was still being inflated, if he didn't pop it, it would have happened anyway.

Which is a bit more of a nuanced argument frankly then "Nope, not happening. Those statistics were completely made up".. maybe if Trump gave speeches in response to Muslim news MAYBE...

Anyhow this one article is only one of many... I can list many others.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 04:48:16 pm by Neonivek »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: November 09, 2016, 04:45:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Americans be like "GOD WHY YOU HAVE FORSAKEN US?!?"
And God is like "DUDS I GAVE YOU A CLEAR SIGN... I GAVE YOU TWO SIGNS! WHAT ELSE YOU WANT?!?"

(It should be noted that I am only joking and I don't belive that Bernie Bird was a sign from God, because there are people around that will totally belive that this is what I seriously think)
Hah, I never actually saw the video where the bird came from, just the pictures with him as a disney princess and whatnot, that's hilarious. Shoulda gone with "that bird doesn't know it, but it just became famous" though, woulda been a funnier line.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: November 09, 2016, 04:48:08 pm »

I was trying to evoke a counterpoint to;

'Our side will do better once old people die.'

with;

'Our side will do better once young people die.'

to show that both are sadistically evil but it was poorly presented as most thing that sound good in my head and actually get presented before internal censorship kicks in.

By rebuilt, I guess I meant more of re-formed or re-imagined. Maybe some people could read a thesaurus once in a while but it more likely people will only perceive what fits their prejudices anyways.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: November 09, 2016, 04:48:13 pm »

No it doesn't, you said so yourself. There are OTHER reasons why it is happening. The fact that it increases in response to Trump is unrelated, he is only a trigger for the tension that already exists.

Which is a bit more of a nuanced argument frankly then "Nope, not happening. Those statistics were completely made up".. maybe if Trump gave speeches in response to Muslim news MAYBE...

Give it to me this way:
In your opinion if Trump didn't exist would anti-Muslim violence be lower?

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: November 09, 2016, 04:51:35 pm »

No it doesn't, you said so yourself. There are OTHER reasons why it is happening. The fact that it increases in response to Trump is unrelated, he is only a trigger for the tension that already exists. A needle that popped a balloon that was still being inflated, if he didn't pop it, it would have happened anyway.

The "in response to trump" bit? that's something that this study maintains but completely fails to properly demonstrate.
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1249