Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387964 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9900 on: November 07, 2016, 08:13:01 pm »

The chat now link on their page (which is also the link you gave) is nonfunctional. It shows the site, yes, but in the middle box, it just shows a blank or it says 'connection failed'.

Having an IRC seems like a nice idea because it gets annoying when the forum moves fast.
It was blank for me until I accepted cookies from them, then it worked...  I'm on Firefox.

People can also just use mibbit
https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/
and put in the "irc.sorcery.net" manually.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9901 on: November 07, 2016, 08:13:55 pm »

If we're talking like, circa mid-80's Madonna, hit me up girl, otherwise... nofanx.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose
« Reply #9902 on: November 07, 2016, 08:15:33 pm »

Can we do IRC tomorrow as the results come in?  Maybe
#bay12asylum
instead of #bay12debate, since
Spoiler: IT'S TOO LATE (click to show/hide)

http://sorcery.net/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=69
irc.sorcery.net
#bay12asylum
whenever, but I guess results start around 6PM Eastern time, so about 22 hours from now.  I'll probably be on earlier.

I'll be watching a stream like TYT or something, and maybe as much /pol/ as I can stomach, but I'd rather be with y'all :P
I'll be there. Gotta go vote after work and pick up some [ALCOHOL_RANDOM] on the way home, then it's off to the races from there.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: November 07, 2016, 08:18:01 pm »

I'll be at an End of the Republic celebration away from home, but I'll try to bring my laptop and keep up with you all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: November 07, 2016, 08:18:21 pm »

Can we have someone make sure smirk isn't drinking ethylene glycol or straight up methanol?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9905 on: November 07, 2016, 08:22:50 pm »

Also, didin't some actress or singer or whoever said she's going to give blowjobs if people vote Hillary or something?

If that's Madonna, that's her usual eccentric schtick.
... I'd literally vote Trump so she wouldn't.
Thankfully I'm not American so neither Trump or Hilarious Madonna's blowjobs concern me.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9906 on: November 07, 2016, 08:23:15 pm »

I don't know if this is normal for campaigns to do, or is even the correct way to do it, but Trumps campaign has just created a voter assistance hotline to report problems or disturbances.

Tinfoil-hat land, ho!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: November 07, 2016, 08:28:07 pm »

but your own vote is your fucking own and you're not really supposed to share it publically.
Nothing against one saying who one votes for, SFAIK. I tend not to, but it's nothing like my Jury Service where I don't even say what the case I was jury...ing... was about, never mind how it eventually concluded.

There's (supposed to be!) a rule against photography of the voting slip/apparatus, to discourage things like people being asked to prove that their paid-for vote was actually cast the way they said they would, to the payer. (I heard something about it being unlikely that selfie-takers like Justin Beiber would actually be prosecuted, so that may end up being a problem, if some wise guy political funder takes advantage of that loosening.)

But saying "I will vote/have voted <insert candidate here>" is not reliant upon you actually voting that way...  It might just be self-preservation, if confronted with a mob with an idea in mind of who you ought to vote/have voted for. Doesn't change anything. Or are all those yard-signs that people erect, proudly, for all to see at least as illegal? There are rules, I undetstand, but what Randall's done is erected his sign in his front yard, to be seen by all and complained about by those who disagree. Just like the grassy ones.  "I'm voting Hillary".  Not "You must vote for Hillary". Nothing like that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9908 on: November 07, 2016, 08:31:52 pm »

Dilbert, for the record, is good as a diagnostic tool. If you see a place where people hang up Dilbert strips in their workplace, run for the fucking hills. It is the epitome of despair and surrender to the bland corporate machine. In fact, that's just the joke Adams has been telling over and over again, every day, for decades.

But no, there's nothing wrong with disclosing who you want to vote for.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: November 07, 2016, 08:32:58 pm »

Donald Trump fact-check "True" shocker...

ETA: Also from the Grauniad stream, with my emphasis...
Roger Stone, an informal Trump adviser, also told the Guardian on Monday that he was concerned that the Republican party in Ohio would try to manipulate votes to undermine Trump, and said that the Stop the Steal fraud prevention project was a “neutral process”.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:36:44 pm by Starver »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9910 on: November 07, 2016, 08:41:40 pm »

67% average isn't a good number for reliability.

If you said "My car doesn't usually break down and leave me stranded," I wouldn't want to ride in your car.
Well, yes, but if you claimed to be as reliable as your average car I probably wouldn't believe you. If I claimed that I would outright be lying to you -- cars can go years without substantial need for more than minor maintenance, and I damn sure can't. Humans are messy, inconsistent things, with lots of competing pressures. When someone's managing "more likely to do what they say than not" (particularly for projects as large and uncertain as generally dealt with by politicians), the word we use for that is reliable, at the very least more so than not, and generally with pretty specific areas they're likely to not be (i.e. predictable).

That's particularly true for anything even remotely complicated, especially if it's dealing with humans and competing interests to any extent. A lawyer that's batting two out of three isn't actually doing bad, and a politician is one of the few roles a person can take that is messier than that. Me, I'm pretty ruddy sure a roughly two-thirds average is solid for the kind of work involved with implementing campaign promises.

... really, suspicion and caution regarding the promises made by just about anyone dealing with subjects as complicated as politics (and any number of other things) isn't a bad thing. But there's that and then there's this damned ethos of utter and unthinking distrust that's a good chunk of what bought this bloody country this bloody election.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9911 on: November 07, 2016, 08:42:49 pm »

But saying "I will vote/have voted <insert candidate here>" is not reliant upon you actually voting that way...  It might just be self-preservation, if confronted with a mob with an idea in mind of who you ought to vote/have voted for. Doesn't change anything. Or are all those yard-signs that people erect, proudly, for all to see at least as illegal? There are rules, I undetstand, but what Randall's done is erected his sign in his front yard, to be seen by all and complained about by those who disagree. Just like the grassy ones.  "I'm voting Hillary".  Not "You must vote for Hillary". Nothing like that.
It's basically the same thing in the end. You're popular, you're telling you're voting for someone. You clearly and obviously did it to save your life from raging internet mob that was shelling at you with questions "WHO YER VOTING FER?!". Imagine an clueless dude (which, sadly, there is a goddamn lot around) that sees a guy who does funny stuff and he likes him, and that dude goes "I'm voting for this person!". They're clearly not going to be influenced by that, not even a bit. It's especially bad in the case of xkcd, since those comics are famously known as the source of various facts and scientific knowledge - if the brainy person that knows a lot tells everyone what he is going to do, shouldn't I also follow? I realize this is fighting with the windmills and such thing as truly secret public voting doesn't exist, but it just makes me angry. Maybe because at this point this is basically a vote between worst and worse... not that it is better anywhere else or that there is a real chance for changing that, but...
I don't like the idea of erecting signs in their goddamn yard too, that's a straight way to actually get in trouble. I've seen what politics do to families and it's retarded, at best.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9912 on: November 07, 2016, 08:53:59 pm »

Kot, I think you're missing a big issue with this election: allowing trump to win is absolutely not the way to advance political discourse in the United States.

Once this is behind us and the Republican party is fully locked into its death spiral, we can reform the Democrats into a party to be proud of. But for now, this is like the thing in your D&D campaign where Chaotic Good and Lawful Good need to team up with Lawful and True Neutral to stop the overwhelming forces of Neutral Evil.

Standing on the volcanic precipice, holding the... earring that contains the soul of the big evil while the orks close in (the GM is not super creative, ok?) is not the time for the bard to start haranguing the Paladin about lightening up a bit.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: November 07, 2016, 09:01:28 pm »

Once this is behind us and the Republican party is fully locked into its death spiral, we can reform the Democrats into a party to be proud of. But for now, this is like the thing in your D&D campaign where Chaotic Good and Lawful Good need to team up with Lawful and True Neutral to stop the overwhelming forces of Neutral Evil.

I don't think a lack of competition will make the Democrats, or any political party, a better organization. You only need to look at the state of the California and South Carolina state governments to see that having all safe seats leads to corruption and masturbatory stagnation.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9914 on: November 07, 2016, 09:08:30 pm »

Can we have someone make sure smirk isn't drinking ethylene glycol or straight up methanol?
Fair's fair, they're still technically ingestible!

Also, if anyone has an outside line to mainiac he might appreciate being in irc with us at the culmination. Worth a shot.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 1249