Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388188 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9870 on: November 07, 2016, 06:03:25 pm »

Apparently there are some places which take wearing candidate apparel as a violation of the campaigning block. Gonna be a lot of angry people on twitter who got arrested after refusing to take off a MAGA hat tomorrow.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: November 07, 2016, 06:06:20 pm »

Apparently there are some places which take wearing candidate apparel as a violation of the campaigning block. Gonna be a lot of angry people on twitter who got arrested after refusing to take off a MAGA hat tomorrow.

That strikes me as stupid. Trying to hand out "information" in lines in an attempt to sway votes is one thing. A fucking t-shirt or hat isn't going to change anyone's mind though. Way to start drama where none really needed to exist in the first place.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: November 07, 2016, 06:08:15 pm »

i think the idea is to try and avoid drama in the first place

not that you can ever truly avoid drama with trump supporters

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: November 07, 2016, 06:27:55 pm »

Rigged!
I thought so too, but think about it: The requirement that every single possible activity be done in bipartisan teams is a little much, and the State Legislature knows this: since the rule (law, rather) that makes me a Republican tomorrow is from the same people who created the requirement in the first place, and laws can't contradict themselves, it's not illegal, just stupid.

Hey, look on the bright side, misk. It might end up being more than sixteen hours :V
Oh, I'm sure. Even really tiny elections keep us until 10:00, so that's at least 17 hours for anyone who is counting. I just like repeating "16 hours" because your average work day is eight hours, and this is basically two work days in a row. But yeah no I'm not expecting to get out very quickly.
Almost certainly not, but still, with the whole line thing and the extent turnout has been surprising people, being stuck until you're done and done not coming when it was scheduled might be a non-zero possibility.
Legally, the moment it's 9:00, anyone who is still in line at that point and no more can vote. They check this by having the resident police person who babysits the site get in line at precisely 9 PM, and anyone who is after the policeman/woman can't vote. In reality we get out at least an hour after this ends. I want to guess and say, thirty minutes to process the chuckleheads who think getting on at 8:50 is a really neat idea, at least one guaranteed hour of general clean up (we transmit the preliminary results about 30 minutes into this), and then maybe 30 minutes/another hour more depending on how busy it makes the table people and whether I can convince my supervisor to let the scanner people go early. This puts us at maybe... 11PM? 11:30. Maybe 12 if we're unlucky. The only really annoying thing is that I have to take a train to and from my college. Heading home today, but I think I have class on Wednesday so I gotta head back.

I'ma be really fucking tired when you guys see me next. I will have an awesome hat, though.
I mean they'd have to be really determined to be stupid to get arrested for that. Policemen would just make you take it off and otherwise wouldn't care unless you make a fuss about it. It's really only a problem when you've got like a full body shirt or something.

That strikes me as stupid. Trying to hand out "information" in lines in an attempt to sway votes is one thing. A fucking t-shirt or hat isn't going to change anyone's mind though. Way to start drama where none really needed to exist in the first place.
The issue is to make everyone comfortable to vote without feeling judged. If we let people do that then everyone would come in with campaign shirts and stuff, which like ein said is more likely to cause drama or supression than anything else. The point is that it isn't an abortion clinic; your right to protest starts about 100 feet from our doors and no closer, and if you disagree or want to make trouble than well you can talk to the nice police officer about that.

Accuweather says it's gonna be a sunny 68 tomorrow in NYC. Better pack a polo shirt I guess.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: November 07, 2016, 06:45:26 pm »

Legally, the moment it's 9:00, anyone who is still in line at that point and no more can vote. They check this by having the resident police person who babysits the site get in line at precisely 9 PM, and anyone who is after the policeman/woman can't vote. In reality we get out at least an hour after this ends. <snip>
Heh. The nightmare scenario I'm thinking of for you is that that 9PM comes and it's a five or six hour line waiting when it does. Not saying it's even remotely likely, especially in NYC, but it wouldn't surprise me terribly much at this point if there's going to be some poor sad bastards running the polls (most likely in some corner of GOP land or another) that get stuck with that tomorrow.

In other news, I've now managed to check and/or convince most people around me that might have been considering trump and had much of a chance of listening (which admittedly wasn't many people, but still!) to, well. Not. Makes me feel a little better. It's been bloody weird having to actually have that conversation with folks whose just about everything is diametrically opposed to trump's character, rhetoric, policies, basically everything really, almost strictly because of the trainwreck of a media we've had over the last handful of months.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: November 07, 2016, 07:03:07 pm »

Wonder how many polling places Arizona has this time around.

If it's anything like the primaries, not enough.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: November 07, 2016, 07:05:02 pm »

well I'm finally through the traffic. i did not get in but nether did the thousand people behind me. a lot of people where there. i did get to listen through the speakers they set up outside though. well when everyone wasn't shouting down some annoying trump supporter. she talked mainly about stuff like raising the minimum wage, paid maternity leave with guaranties of job security, helping pay for college and debt relief. that what i could catch over a several hundred people chanting president over the guy trying to say Hillary for jail. that guy was annoying. i talked to someone i know who got in and he was in line at noon.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: November 07, 2016, 07:09:51 pm »

Looking around, the answer seems to be about 212 fewer than 2012 or 2014. No clue about the site that comes from, though -- was just the first one that popped up giving a state wide total.

That said, marcopia county? Apparently the same number (720-ish, with some being in the same building -- 640 distinct locations) as last election. And at least ninety thousand more registered voters :V
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: November 07, 2016, 07:13:00 pm »

BTW, the number of votes coming in from early voting has surpassed the entire Florida turnout from 2000. I wonder how much higher from our average voter turnout tomorrow will be?

Speaking more of Florida, the last couple of final polls coming out show Florida being really close, like margin of error close.

If a close Florida race tips the election to Trump, the Democrats are going to be pissed, but, um.... yea...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:15:10 pm by smjjames »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: November 07, 2016, 07:17:25 pm »

relevant xkcd.  :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

always wanted to do that.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:24:17 pm by redwallzyl »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: November 07, 2016, 07:17:41 pm »

Depends on some extent on the turnout, I guess. Right now, just about every metric we have is pointing to trump starting off with a pretty sizable deficit, at least. Thanks in no small part to the latino early voters which have straight up surpassed their total votes in 2012, and still have tomorrow to go.

Also please, spoiler. Good sentiment or not big picture is big, and all that white is painful when you're on darkling >_>

E: Thanks, heh.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:26:37 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9881 on: November 07, 2016, 07:20:54 pm »

I am incerasingly pissed when famous/whatever people post shit like this. Your vote should be based on what politicans actually say and do instead of voting for someone because someone whose work you like votes for that person. This literally made me disgusted with xkcd.
I mean, woah, at least provide reasons if you're going to be a shill, even anecdotal. It's xkcd, after all.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: November 07, 2016, 07:24:35 pm »

What politicians say is unreliable, and what they do isn't foreseeable. Might as well rely on endorsements.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: November 07, 2016, 07:25:43 pm »

maybe because rational people recognize trump as a threat to our nation?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: November 07, 2016, 07:27:15 pm »

The issue is to make everyone comfortable to vote without feeling judged.

I guess I don't see someone else wearing a shirt as an attempt to intimidate anyone. Obviously the person wearing it is ok with letting people know their views. I can appreciate wanting everyone to feel comfortable with voting. But having to turn away a guy who has to change his shirt is an invitation for drama.

Put another way, why not tell someone wearing a white power t-shirt they have to leave.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1249