Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388491 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9810 on: November 07, 2016, 11:05:45 am »

I wish there was some obvious place to look up things for local politics...
Your Secretary of state perhaps? I looked up my ballot, and from there the individuals on it. Not perfect of course, perhaps I would have rather done a write in, but good enough for me.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: November 07, 2016, 11:06:02 am »

So how's everyone feeling about Hillary wanting a "No-fly zone" over Syria?

Well, on paper it seems like it would work, but there's the practical and geopolitical issues with it. Namely, is she willing to shoot down a Russian plane?

Interesting essay on local politics from 538.

i'll confess that I too, am clueless about local politics.

edit: It seems to be that the cracks in the Republican party are manifesting in the state legislatures as well. No surprise there I suppose.

Edit2: Would have been nice if that article also talked about states besides Montana, like, I dunno, Florida, Maine, Oregon (or Washington or California, the west coast is pretty liberal in general).... Michigan....

Ballotpedia might be helpful, but yeah, having something obvious to look at for local politics would be nice.

edit: Random thought: Someone needs to make a joke using the term rigging in the nautical sense of the word and apply it to the definition being used by Trump, or vice versa, somehow.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:15:30 am by smjjames »

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9812 on: November 07, 2016, 11:13:28 am »

Fine? Considering it's explicitly been stated as contingent on agreement with russia and syria (and whatever other actors have stake in the issue, probably) to implement, I can't see much to complain about. If it actually got through under the conditions clinton specified, it'd probably even mean relations with russia had improved (/putin was being less of a shit).

Have a source or something somewere I can look at. Bit of a concern of mine Id apreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:15:24 am by Sprin »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: November 07, 2016, 11:17:00 am »

Yeah, there are a lot of options but it's not clear what to do.

I usually check on indie-style papers (or their websites) to look for chances to vote non-straight-ticket.
Looks like the dems/reps for a lot of counties have websites, or at least Facebook pages for the sparser ones.  Though this is NC...
Local college or university probably has people trying to raise awareness of specific local issues too.

Frankly I only did the first one, online, and also talked to my mom :P
So I knew which judge to vote for regarding HB-2 even though they're not listed as democrat/republican.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9814 on: November 07, 2016, 11:17:22 am »

Fine? Considering it's explicitly been stated as contingent on agreement with russia and syria (and whatever other actors have stake in the issue, probably) to implement, I can't see much to complain about. If it actually got through under the conditions clinton specified, it'd probably even mean relations with russia had improved (/putin was being less of a shit).

Have a source or something somewere I can look at. Bit of a concern of mine Id apreciate it.

I was going to say 'just google it' but you'd be running into mostly news stuff and a lot of biased sources. So, I'm not sure what would be a good source to find the info you're looking for.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9815 on: November 07, 2016, 11:24:59 am »

Maybe something directly from clinton
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9818 on: November 07, 2016, 11:33:23 am »

Ok, so something I've seen in here a lot is that you guys seem to think the media has a for-trump bias.
Could anyone provide...examples or such?
Because I know that pretty much everything I've posted in here through the election has just been regurgitated from mom, but this is the ONE THING I have actually seen myself, seeing as I actually have to deliver the cocking shit erryday.
And everything I've seen shows that the media at large has a MASSIVE hard on for Clinton, to the point that literally everything trump does is a scandal but Hillary could just about literally shit on their faces and they would congratulate her on it still being solid at her age.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9819 on: November 07, 2016, 11:37:04 am »

Ok, so something I've seen in here a lot is that you guys seem to think the media has a for-trump bias.
You haven't seen that here, because nobody thinks that. The media clearly despises Trump and can't stand being around him. As I also despise Trump and can't stand being around him, this is clearly reasonable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9820 on: November 07, 2016, 11:44:50 am »

You haven't seen that here, because nobody thinks that. The media clearly despises Trump and can't stand being around him. As I also despise Trump and can't stand being around him, this is clearly reasonable.
The only bias most US media have is a bias towards their own pockets. They've invested billions in covering the campaing, knowing they will earn it back and make a profit. It's become the most lucrative freak show in the history of the US. I can imagine there being a slight Trump bias not so much in support of his views, but how much broadcast time he gets in total compared to Hillary. Hillary is a bit bland, while everything Trump does is sure to draw millions of viewers everytime, both from his supporters as well as his detractors, and make the commercials cash register go ka-ching. His freak show factor is just higher.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9821 on: November 07, 2016, 11:49:21 am »

... holy shit, BFEL. If that's what you've seen you have not been seeing bloody jack-all. Just about everything even remotely negative of clinton has been blown massively out of proportion, when it's not just flat out invented; at the same time, trump's ridiculously myriad cavalcade of fuck ups barely get screen time. If you want some harder data you can look at something like this. There's more stuff out there if you feel like poking around.

From stuff like that, the treatment has been relatively equitable, to a fair degree -- which is the problem. Part of what that doesn't show is that even with the negative coverage trump is catching, a chunk of what's going on with trump (and where the "pro-trump bias" message comes from, to a large extent) is that it's not nearly as negative as it should be considering what a colossal pile of shit the man is. Whereas with clinton -- as we've seen in the past few days in relation to comey's mess, which has largely been par for the course for months to years -- stuff that's functionally nothing gets plastered across the airwaves and screamed to the heavens as writ gospel of malfeasance. The way media's been handling the two isn't even remotely equitable. If clinton or the clinton foundation had done a quarter of what trump or his foundation has done, the sodding media would catch fire and explode in their haste to take a shit on our dem candidate.

You want another example, you can do some google searching on the reaction to clinton ordering some emails deleted before a subpeona was, and then search around for how people's been reacting to the written testament of multiple bloody judges that trump and his company has spent years of time intentionally deleting electronic evidence while under investigation and doing his damnedest to obfuscate and obstruct as well. You'll notice something of a difference, and it's stuff like that where the accusations of pro-trump bias are coming from more than just about anything.

Maybe something directly from clinton
You can check ontheissues for some direct quotes related to the subject, track down the source at your leisure. Pretty sure there's something on her website, too, but the issues page currently seems to be on the fritz, at least for me, so I can't double check at the moment :-\

There's also some lines in the third debate that's pretty consistent about a no-fly zone being in relation to negotiations and agreement with russia and syria.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9822 on: November 07, 2016, 12:17:48 pm »

Could anyone provide...examples or such?
Because I know that pretty much everything I've posted in here through the election has just been regurgitated from mom, but this is the ONE THING I have actually seen myself, seeing as I actually have to deliver the cocking shit erryday.
And everything I've seen shows that the media at large has a MASSIVE hard on for Clinton, to the point that literally everything trump does is a scandal but Hillary could just about literally shit on their faces and they would congratulate her on it still being solid at her age.
They give Trump free press over nonsense, they talk about the election being a close horse race even when it was as far apart as it's been this year, they treated Trump with kid gloves originally instead of openly mocking and pointing out how absurd his candidacy is at every opportunity.

That's pretty damn nice to Trump.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9823 on: November 07, 2016, 12:28:47 pm »

... well, I'm trying that call now. Perhaps unsurprisingly, they seem to be a bit... busy. Praise zeus for redial :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9824 on: November 07, 2016, 12:29:04 pm »

Inb4 Trump suggests to build a wall at the border between India and the US and proposes that China pays for it

Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1249