Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389900 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9555 on: November 04, 2016, 09:14:33 pm »

We might get a tie.

Holy shit we might actually get a tie.
It's looking increasingly unlikely, actually. The early voting numbers are looking worse and worse for republicans, and we've still got time.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: November 04, 2016, 09:56:28 pm »

Johnson has the general libertarian "the government doesn't have the power to tell individuals what to do" stance on vaccines, I believe.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: November 04, 2016, 10:55:25 pm »

I found a couple of parties I rather like, voting in the general election. I also learned 'hands-on' how crazy some of the others are. Like the Constitution party, holy shit.

Working Families is pretty cool, tho
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: November 04, 2016, 11:03:24 pm »

Johnson has the general libertarian "the government doesn't have the power to tell individuals what to do" stance on vaccines, I believe.
This is one area he is way better than wishy-washy wifi-addled Stein: http://digital.vpr.net/post/reversal-gov-gary-johnson-now-supports-mandatory-vaccination

He favors it being a local thing, but if it was pushed the federal level he said he'd have to side with the science behind vaccination and herd immunity, and admitted his prior ignorance being at fault when he said he didn't see why it should be required. Good on him.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: November 05, 2016, 12:15:58 am »

God, it's like the metaphysical shadow of my ideological sovereignty. SCP's golden age is long over, but that's a good one.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: November 05, 2016, 01:03:54 am »

If this dumb fuck actually hands the election to Donald Trump/McMuffin by giving an EV to Sanders...

Is not the idea behind electors, that they are suppir smart, educated and will not let dirty nonelector plebian crowd to ruin everything?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: November 05, 2016, 01:15:08 am »

No, that's such a widespread misunderstanding that it might as well be a conspiracy theory. Faithless electors are not and have never been the intention of the EC, they're just an unfortunate consequence of it (which is why it's illegal in so many places, and would be illegal in all of them if anything had ever been decided by a faithless elector as opposed to the protest votes they really are).

The electoral college exists as a relic of the US beta testing democracy and a Presidential system between an association of 13 different states all with very divided opinions on what that all should look like. To give you the short form, slaveholding states supported having Congress elect the President because their slave populations were counted under the 3/5ths Compromise for the number of representatives they would have, while free states supported having a direct popular vote because the lack or relative rarity of slaves meant they would have more influence electing the President.

The electoral college was the most easily agreed upon system to prevent everybody from killing each other or smothering the union in its cradle and becoming vulnerable to the European powers/Canada/each other.

We've been trying to get rid of it ever since. You might think of it as a generational curse, almost.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: November 05, 2016, 01:30:11 am »

What happens with a tie? You get two presidents? Hillary and Trump have to duke it out celebrity deathmatch style? A Mexican interrim dictator is appointed?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: November 05, 2016, 01:33:05 am »

A tie leads to the same result as nobody reaching 270: House picks the President, Senate picks the Veep.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: November 05, 2016, 01:37:22 am »

Part of the reason that it's so hard to get rid of is because it requires a constitutional amendment to deal with, and that in itself is a high bar to cross. There is a method or two going around to do it in a way that doesn't require a constitutional amendment.

The whole ordeal of 2000 sparked off discussion on it, but however things go, there may very well be renewed discussion about it from either side. Especially if the Republicans lose.

What happens with a tie? You get two presidents? Hillary and Trump have to duke it out celebrity deathmatch style? A Mexican interrim dictator is appointed?

Lol martinuzz, no. If there is a tie or nobody gets the required number of votes, it gets thrown to the House and they decide on it there. It's only happened maybe once or twice in our history. And no, the 2000 election wasn't a case of that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: November 05, 2016, 01:52:39 am »

A tie leads to the same result as nobody reaching 270: House picks the President, Senate picks the Veep.
So then you could end up with a democratic president and a republican VP or vice versa? That'd be awkward. I guess the secret sevice's main task in that case will be frisking the VP for assasination weapons.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: November 05, 2016, 01:58:59 am »

Actually, I'm not fully certain. The Constitution has been amended a couple of times on this matter, and it's still never really gone to Happening.

The original sense is that the House picks the President and the Senate picks the Veep (which hearkens back to some of the very earliest inclinations never used, that the runner up of the election would become Veep instead of having running mates). Some say now that the Veep just gets decided by whichever ticket the House picks, while if the House deadlocks it goes to the Senate who pick the President from the Veep candidates.

tl;dr it's fucking confusing and never been deployed, dust off those law codes because I sure am seeking jurisprudence
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9568 on: November 05, 2016, 01:59:21 am »

It would be interesting. If they pick Hillary, then the Trumpets actually will go to war.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: November 05, 2016, 02:00:31 am »

You're on 666. I'm on 400. =P
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1249