Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390150 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9495 on: November 04, 2016, 12:41:52 am »

It was Wilson's reelection that resulted in him throwing us into the war, but I'm counting it anyway since he got started in 1912.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: November 04, 2016, 01:06:59 am »

Isn't Trump merely being audited, rather than criminally investigated as Wikileaks are saying RE Clinton? One is a normal process, the other is not.
... if you had actually read the article WL was blowing up from basically nothing (and was itself clickbait bullshit dredged up at this point in time precisely because it was old news idiots would froth themselves up about, again), criminal investigations are things that aren't happening. IRS's checking over things to placate yet another republican witch hunt, but it's no more than your usual charity organization audit beyond that.

Though no, trump's pretty much perpetually under civil and/or criminal investigation due to how terrible a person and businessman he is, and if he's not under any criminal ones right at this moment (mind you, he is under investigation for at the very least some of the stuff related to the assault accusations, but it's not about his tax avoidance or charity fraud and whatnot, yet) it's because sane people (i.e. not the people feeding conservative media in the US, these days) don't tar their organization with the brush of political bias in the middle of an election. That's pretty likely to change after the election's over and cooled down, assuming his legal team doesn't manage to settle outside court for the Nth+1 time.

As for wikileak's general accuracy, maybe something else they're doing is better but their twitter has been all sorts of fucked up the last handful of months. Outright lies, massively deceptive framing, etc., so on, so forth. Particularly pretty much anything they've released about clinton, even if the material itself is authentic what they're saying about it is about as likely to be a grotesque distortion (at best) as anything. It's come up in this thread, two seconds with google with find you a nice spread of times, particularly recently, when they're just straight up lied, never mind the accusations of fabrication for some of the more recent leaks or how badly they've twisted some of the material they've released. They've been doing their damnedest to undermine themselves with everyone that's not drinking alt-right/anti-clinton swill, one way or another.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9497 on: November 04, 2016, 05:36:27 am »

Spoiler: stay healthy lads (click to show/hide)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: November 04, 2016, 07:56:57 am »

Spoiler: stay healthy lads (click to show/hide)
Man it would be the ultimate kek, a kek of immense height standing high above all other keks if all the most obsessed people about this election keeled over before the result was known and when they arrived at the pearly gates were told that people in Heaven don't get to watch the earth.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: November 04, 2016, 10:58:20 am »

Google daily Doodle reminded me that it's the 100th birthday of Walter Cronkite. Makes me wonder what Uncle Walt would have thought of this election cycle.  :-\

Most of y'all are probably too young to remember Cronkite as a news anchor. He retired when I was still a kid, but would occasionally fill in for Dan Rather or Charles Kuralt when they were on vacation. There was just something about his voice and his demeanor -- it was like being told the news by your grandfather -- (the kind, wise one; not the crazy, racist, "back in my day" one).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: November 04, 2016, 11:12:18 am »

Ah the good old days when people in general actually trusted what talking heads had to say.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: November 04, 2016, 11:16:11 am »

Google daily Doodle reminded me that it's the 100th birthday of Walter Cronkite. Makes me wonder what Uncle Walt would have thought of this election cycle.  :-\

Most of y'all are probably too young to remember Cronkite as a news anchor. He retired when I was still a kid, but would occasionally fill in for Dan Rather or Charles Kuralt when they were on vacation. There was just something about his voice and his demeanor -- it was like being told the news by your grandfather -- (the kind, wise one; not the crazy, racist, "back in my day" one).

I'm a few years too young to remember him before he retired, but he was still an import piece of culture. His voice is unmistakable and I did catch several of the things he did after he retired. It's a simple fact that a large chunk of recorded video history in the form of US TV news broadcasts was connected to him. His face, his voice, overlaying most of the important images through US history.

I'd also heard he was a bit of an asshole in his private life, but that's just rumors, but people often are different from the mask they present to the public.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: November 04, 2016, 11:29:07 am »

There was a book put out by a former employee after his death that claimed that, but it was widely refuted by those who knew him.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: November 04, 2016, 11:39:10 am »

There was a book put out by a former employee after his death that claimed that, but it was widely refuted by those who knew him.

Which oddly enough... Happens often whether or not what was said was true or not.

Though likely the refutation is accurate.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 11:43:21 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: November 04, 2016, 11:55:08 am »

That last minute research feeling when you stumble across a bugnut's vote recommendations (for judges, specifically, in this case)* and go, "Yeah, I'm just going to vote the opposite." It really makes some things easier when you find someone that's passionate about the subject but diametrically opposed to your beliefs and completely bloody insane, now that I actually read the intro blurb to this madness a bit more instead of just skimming bits. It's not a 100% metric but it definitely is a pretty effective filter.

*If you really want to see it, look up florida votes values, specifically their judicial retention recs for this election. I wouldn't recommend it, or the rest of the site. It's apparently a place people opposed to contraception, even among married couples, go to to ferment. I'd link, but just glancing over stuff as I flee backwards, information in hand, makes me worried I'd be linking to something violating the forum ToS. Thing's bigoted as all goddamn.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: November 04, 2016, 12:42:12 pm »

That last minute research feeling when you stumble across a bugnut's vote recommendations (for judges, specifically, in this case)* and go, "Yeah, I'm just going to vote the opposite." It really makes some things easier when you find someone that's passionate about the subject but diametrically opposed to your beliefs and completely bloody insane, now that I actually read the intro blurb to this madness a bit more instead of just skimming bits. It's not a 100% metric but it definitely is a pretty effective filter.

*If you really want to see it, look up florida votes values, specifically their judicial retention recs for this election. I wouldn't recommend it, or the rest of the site. It's apparently a place people opposed to contraception, even among married couples, go to to ferment. I'd link, but just glancing over stuff as I flee backwards, information in hand, makes me worried I'd be linking to something violating the forum ToS. Thing's bigoted as all goddamn.

The problem with judge retention... is the question of their replacement. Judge might not fit your ideal. But you have to be careful about who they might be replaced with. I always look at the difference between the judge's appointer and the current appointer for replacements.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9506 on: November 04, 2016, 01:03:44 pm »

These people are the American Taliban.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: November 04, 2016, 01:23:28 pm »

This election... I pray it ends soon. This has been a horrifying election cycle.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: November 04, 2016, 01:26:03 pm »

The fact that you aren't wholly certain it will end soon says more than anything, I think.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: November 04, 2016, 01:28:33 pm »

Next Tuesday...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1249