Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390834 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9405 on: November 03, 2016, 09:28:50 am »

Eh? No one was ever talking about living space.
That's pretty much exactly what you were talking about, so far as I can tell. That was certainly my own take-home of your rhetoric.

Ultimately, we're either going to go Japan's way, or in fifty years' time we'll be telling our kids what is was like when one family lived in a whole house all to themselves, and our kids will scoff and laugh at us as if we're crazy as they squeeze themselves into the residence's sleeping room, careful not to wake any of the other families currently resting there.

(At least you're writing in proper English, again, but I'm forced to admit that it seems I cannot make much more sense of you as that I can't make of LW.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:30:34 am by Starver »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: November 03, 2016, 09:47:33 am »

I don't understand the economical fear of having less young people versus old people.
Last two times that happened, most involved countries saw economic growth, not recession. Except Germany after ww1, because peace treaty fucked them over too hard.

I mean, after ww1, most countries were left with only elderly and small children. All people of healthy working age died in the trenches. Yet their economies didn't collapse, they boomed. The period after ww2 is similar, albeit less severe, since it saw less military dead than ww1. It only wiped out half a generation instead of a whole one.

So don't fear the grey, just legalize child labour and we'll be fine.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:49:12 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: November 03, 2016, 09:55:07 am »

Except a ton of stuff feed in the homeowner share too.

BTW, it's only going down since the mid-aughts too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: November 03, 2016, 09:58:56 am »

Your image is broken.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: November 03, 2016, 10:11:55 am »

Keep in mind that UK and US usage of working-class and middle-class differs.

Covenant, I still don't get your point. Home ownership was up in the US until 2005. I don't remember the big surge in immigration post 2005 or anything.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: November 03, 2016, 10:12:00 am »

What exactly is the tech bubble? Is it like the dotcom bubble?

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: November 03, 2016, 10:18:38 am »

The problem the American working class has isn't something that can be easily fixed in the short run for Americans, unfortunately.

Americans from the 1940s to the 1960s benefited from half of Europe being rubble and the other half being Communist controlled rubble, letting them basically dominate manufacturing, trade, etc. That was obviously unsustainable, first with post war reconstruction kicking into gear for Germany, Japan, etc and second with the industrialization of places like China and Kenya. The post-war economy of the US isn't coming back unless WW3 happens and it somehow doesn't involve the US.

Mind, regular people in the countries where industry is being exported are benefiting pretty substantially, and the (theoretical) long run result of all this is that people in China will rise to the level of wealth of Americans, whereupon the jobs will be exported to poorer countries until global wealth is more equalized (by country anyway, not by class).

I don't understand the economical fear of having less young people versus old people.
Last two times that happened, most involved countries saw economic growth, not recession. Except Germany after ww1, because peace treaty fucked them over too hard.

I mean, after ww1, most countries were left with only elderly and small children. All people of healthy working age died in the trenches. Yet their economies didn't collapse, they boomed. The period after ww2 is similar, albeit less severe, since it saw less military dead than ww1. It only wiped out half a generation instead of a whole one.

So don't fear the grey, just legalize child labour and we'll be fine.

Most countries after WW1 didn't have expansive welfare states, universal healthcare systems, old age pensions, etc that needed large growing economies to maintain. The ones that did exist tended to pegged to revenue generation rather than "benefiting the masses" (eg. in Germany, the old age pension was set high enough that most people died before receiving what they put in so it functioned as a hidden tax), so they weren't a huge burden on the government to provide.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: November 03, 2016, 10:19:14 am »

Oh, stuff that run in the red continuously or have no profit margin, or a profit margin measured in pennies. I'd heard about those.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: November 03, 2016, 10:27:19 am »

Can we take a moment of peace to recognize the important day that it is here in America?

Today is National Sandwich Day.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: November 03, 2016, 10:29:17 am »

Make Sandwiches Great Again.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: November 03, 2016, 10:29:36 am »

So how about the Cubs winning the World Series?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: November 03, 2016, 10:42:42 am »

So how about the Cubs winning the World Series?

That too. Also, one of the 538 articles said that Trump has a bigger chance as winning as the Cubs winning the World Series, and well, the Cubs won. edit: Heck, Kelly Conway noticed that statement as well. http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/chicago-cubs-win-trump-win-230681

In various news stuff:
A Republican (Darrell Issa) is finally a voice of reason (mostly) on the whole impeachment threats.

I'm sure everybody is aware of the race rapidly narrowing, even Sabato's Crystal Ball map has dropped below 300 for Clinton.

538's analysis on the tipping point/battleground states, those will all be ones to watch come Election Day. And yes, NC is a battleground/tipping point state.

CNN's 6 scenarios where Trump could win. 538's analysis is better IMO.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:47:05 am by smjjames »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: November 03, 2016, 10:56:00 am »

The narrowing of the race concerns me greatly to the point that I was worried I'd started to acquire Election Anxiety, or whatever it is that people are calling it.  Trump winning still seems unlikely, but that's terrifyingly far from away from where his odds were a few weeks ago.  Especially since his odds seem to be going up every day somehow.

More frustrating though is that I've learned that I may not be eligible to vote at all, or if I can I have no idea how.  I'm registered to vote in a different district than the one I live in now and waited way, way too late to get an absentee ballot.  I also waited way, way too late to change my voter registration to the new district.  Deadlines on both of those were about a month ago, apparently.

South Carolina also requires that you have a picture ID in order to vote, and my driver's license does have my updated address in the new district.  So, will they tell me I can't vote in the old district?  No idea, but it's also over an hour's drive away and I don't know if I want to bother driving that far to find out.  Especially since it won't matter in this state (as I said before about it going to Trump no matter what).

I saw something about in person absentee voting, but couldn't find any information on what that really meant.  I also heard people say in person you don't really need a picture ID to vote, but lots of stuff online says you do.

No wonder people are complaining about not knowing where to go and what to do to vote.  I can only imagine it's similarly confusing and convoluted in half of the country, if not more.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: November 03, 2016, 11:10:07 am »

I don't know about everywhere (my home state only requires showing photo ID on the day you vote, no registration required, and the absentee ballot just has to be postmarked by the election), but I have heard about various Southern/Eastern states making it hard or confusing to vote. Especially North Carolina.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: November 03, 2016, 11:13:36 am »

I didn't have any problems with a Maryland absentee ballot.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 1249