Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394748 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #8850 on: October 27, 2016, 09:45:36 pm »

A near miss. Pence is having a rough week.

Clearly a failed assassination attempt by Hilary.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: October 27, 2016, 09:47:17 pm »

You gotta imagine the secret service were freaking the hell out, because what are the odds of a specific plane getting in an accident like that?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: October 27, 2016, 10:06:00 pm »

In summary: mainiac is mainiac, insults anybody who doesn't vote for Clinton, gets banned. (And I say this as a reluctant supporter of Clinton, so let no accusations of bias be thrown my way.)
nooooooooooooooooo
as one who actually was the butt of mainiac's clinton endeavours, I thought mainiac was actually one of the best forumites out there :[
If only mainiac use more friendly words instead of fuck

I don't think it was ever his words.  It was the teeth behind them.  Dude always went for the throat.

It's a shame.  Reading his stuff over the years was enough to make me more cautious about expressing my convictions, and I think it's good for me to have people around who can do that.  I know he had great critical thinking skills and a wealth of knowledge.  He just didn't care to do much with it other than put people down.  Throw a bunch of trivia together into half a powerful argument, but then stop there in favor of selectively ignoring counter-details or questions and aggressively shaming on anyone who dared to have an opinion without appreciation for the political chess game.  I always felt like instead of wanting to help you understand, he wanted to convince you that you didn't understand, and therefor shouldn't have an opinion other than his (because he does).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:07:37 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: October 27, 2016, 10:12:38 pm »

Was gonna put this in the WTF thread, but it's probably better in pol: Remember them rascally Bundy boys from that wildlife refuge dustup? They were acquitted today.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: October 27, 2016, 10:18:57 pm »

Was gonna put this in the WTF thread, but it's probably better in pol: Remember them rascally Bundy boys from that wildlife refuge dustup? They were acquitted today.

Compare to the shit that's going on with the Dakota Pipeline protests...
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: October 27, 2016, 10:21:24 pm »

Considering one dude was shot and killed over this, I find the verdict a little...light? But that's what you get with jury trials. I guess it helps that Oregon is one one place, progressive or not, that'd be willing to give the Federal government the finger.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: October 27, 2016, 10:23:25 pm »

Why
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: October 27, 2016, 10:24:37 pm »

In summary: mainiac is mainiac, insults anybody who doesn't vote for Clinton, gets banned. (And I say this as a reluctant supporter of Clinton, so let no accusations of bias be thrown my way.)
nooooooooooooooooo
as one who actually was the butt of mainiac's clinton endeavours, I thought mainiac was actually one of the best forumites out there :[
If only mainiac use more friendly words instead of fuck

I don't think it was ever his words.  It was the teeth behind them.  Dude always went for the throat.

It's a shame.  Reading his stuff over the years was enough to make me more cautious about expressing my convictions, and I think it's good for me to have people around who can do that.  I know he had great critical thinking skills and a wealth of knowledge.  He just didn't care to do much with it other than put people down.  Throw a bunch of trivia together into half a powerful argument, but then stop there in favor of selectively ignoring counter-details or questions and aggressively shaming on anyone who dared to have an opinion without appreciation for the political chess game.  I always felt like instead of wanting to help you understand, he wanted to convince you that you didn't understand, and therefor shouldn't have an opinion other than his (because he does).

The thing that bothered me the most was the arguing for its own sake and apparent intentional misunderstanding of people's opinions and positions.  There were a few of those instances that were really just maddening to read and I thought for sure he was going to get the ban hammer then, weeks ago.  I'm kind of surprised it happened just now, but death of a thousand cuts I guess.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: October 27, 2016, 10:29:45 pm »

Now who on earth is Redking going to argue with?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: October 27, 2016, 10:35:17 pm »

That's the crazy thing, they were basically getting along at this point.  The feud was little more than a meme.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8860 on: October 27, 2016, 10:39:17 pm »

That's the crazy thing, they were basically getting along at this point.  The feud was little more than a meme.

They had their flare-ups, but yeah... They had reached a strange balance, and the rivalry felt almost friendly at times.

Despite saying what I did a few posts back, mainiac had been getting a bit better recently... sort of... I feel like his salt was more frequent, but less severe.  It is kind of surprising that the ban came along when it did.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: October 27, 2016, 10:40:43 pm »

Has anyone asked Toady?
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: October 27, 2016, 10:47:07 pm »

Clinton is considering Biden as her Secretary of State.

At first glance it elicts a 'wut?' response and seems like he'd be a rather insider-insider choice with cozyness (though the article says that it's not really that cozy of a relationship), but the guy is one of the most experienced Democrats on foriegn policy, so, he's got the experience for it.

I don't have a problem with Biden being her Secretary of State, he'd be a balance for her hawkishness, but, I just thought she'd go for someone a little less insidery, Bidens popularity nonwithstanding.

Has anyone asked Toady?

About what?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:56:09 pm by smjjames »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: October 27, 2016, 10:51:29 pm »

About the mainiac ban.
Sigtext

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: October 27, 2016, 11:04:04 pm »

About the mainiac ban.
Let's see.
I'd been lenient due to the election, but moderation stopped working and mainiac stopped caring a while ago I guess.  So that's not going to be an issue anymore.
Also
My reign will be both beneficent and magnanimous, and I--

*USER BANNED*
So while we thought the election thread was about pen and paper rpg builds, RedKing was actually playing Crusader Kings?
Pike retinue all the way, n00bz. (Which reminds me, I really need to finish my turn in that CK2 succession game...)
Italian Pike or gtfo. Almost as good as Scottish Pikes, without any of the inconvenience of being Scottish. Plus packing the College of Cardinals as an Italian is trivially easy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 1249