Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393274 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #8400 on: October 23, 2016, 03:11:24 pm »

>mentions repeating integers
>does so with reply #8666
>all hail dark lord el dubs the trippiest of trips

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8401 on: October 23, 2016, 03:38:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm half convinced the academics studying them are being infected with /pol/ memes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: October 23, 2016, 03:43:03 pm »

Does the President of the United States have any protection against lawsuits?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: October 23, 2016, 03:43:34 pm »

Yes.  IIRC, only congress can sue them.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: October 23, 2016, 03:44:53 pm »

Yes.  IIRC, only congress can sue them.

So what happens to the 100+ Lawsuits Trump currently has when he becomes President? are they delayed? Thrown out?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: October 23, 2016, 03:45:54 pm »

I think executive privilege only applies for acts conducted while they are in office.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8406 on: October 23, 2016, 03:48:12 pm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: October 23, 2016, 03:54:25 pm »

So what happens to the 100+ Lawsuits Trump currently has when he becomes President? are they delayed? Thrown out?
This thing says US pressies have virtual immunity so they would have to be delayed or they'd go nowhere even if there was a case to be made

Now THAT must be one huge incentive for Trump to become President.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: October 23, 2016, 03:55:55 pm »

This thing says US pressies have virtual immunity so they would have to be delayed or they'd go nowhere even if there was a case to be made
Linked from that article here, immunity against civil lawsuits only applies to job-related actions in civil actions (Nixon v. Fitzgerald).  However, as mainiac notes above you, this does not apply to actions taken before assuming the presidency and unrelated to the office itself (Clinton v. Jones); in unanimous ruling, it was decided that presidential immunity against private civil lawsuits does not mandate that all private civil lawsuits must be deferred to the end of the term.  Trump does not gain immunity for a priori acts due to becoming president.  Related, it also does not apply to criminal charges (Nixon, again).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:58:16 pm by Culise »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: October 23, 2016, 03:57:23 pm »

Well, Bill Clinton was charged, but I don't think it was the speaker at the time, seemed to have come from outside of Congress, not sure.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: October 23, 2016, 04:00:26 pm »

Well, Bill Clinton was charged, but I don't think it was the speaker at the time, seemed to have come from outside of Congress, not sure.
Which charges?  Clinton v. Jones was a civil lawsuit pertaining to his acts as governor of Arkansas, which has no writ of civil immunity.  The impeachment covered perjury and obstruction of justice, which were criminal charges and were pressed hard by the then-speaker Newt Gingrich (R).  (EDIT) In fact, impeachment in the US almost must have the support of the House Speaker, unless their party is theoretically engaged in a full act of internal rebellion; it's a formal act of indictment by the House of Representatives that is then passed to the Senate for formal trial.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:03:31 pm by Culise »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: October 23, 2016, 04:01:56 pm »

Well the reason I wondered if he would have a delay for lawsuits is because I thought they might have an excuse that the President is too important to spend time defending himself in court.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: October 23, 2016, 04:02:15 pm »

Linked from that article here, immunity against civil lawsuits only applies to job-related actions in civil actions (Nixon v. Fitzgerald).  However, as mainiac notes above you, this does not apply to actions taken before assuming the presidency and unrelated to the office itself (Clinton v. Jones); in unanimous ruling, it was decided that presidential immunity against private civil lawsuits does not mandate that all private civil lawsuits must be deferred to the end of the term.  Trump does not gain immunity for a priori acts due to becoming president.  Related, it also does not apply to criminal charges (Nixon, again).

Yeah that, though the Monica Lewinsky thing was during his adminstration and the perjury thing seems to be a spin off of the Paula Jones case, not sure.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: October 23, 2016, 04:05:53 pm »

Which charges?  Clinton v. Jones was a civil lawsuit pertaining to his acts as governor of Arkansas, which has no writ of civil immunity.  The impeachment covered perjury and obstruction of justice, which were criminal charges and were pressed hard by the then-speaker Newt Gingrich (R). 

I see. I was looking at the wiki page (well, the general one about the scandal, not the impeachment) and didn't see anything on Gingrich being the one who did the perjury charges.

Well the reason I wondered if he would have a delay for lawsuits is because I thought they might have an excuse that the President is too important to spend time defending himself in court.

Don't you think that would give the appearance that the president is above the law?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: October 23, 2016, 04:07:12 pm »

Yeah that, though the Monica Lewinsky thing was during his adminstration and the perjury thing seems to be a spin off of the Paula Jones case, not sure.
He was never brought up on civil charges for Lewinsky, to my knowledge, and making the case that an affair with her was an official act exercising the powers of the Presidency (and thus not subject to civil lawsuit) might have been a mite bit tricky.  I'm unaware of any statutes, acts of Congress, or executive orders that called for the President sleeping with their aide, though given some of the horndogs we've had in the office, I suppose I wouldn't be surprised...

Anywho, moving along, the impeachment itself was a criminal, not civil proceeding and thus not affected by Nixon v. Fitzgerald; again, all of the charges (two counts of perjury, one count of obstruction of justice, one count of abuse of power) were criminal in nature.  The fact that he committed the criminal acts for which impeachment passed (one of perjury, one of obstruction) during the course of a civil lawsuit is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:09:08 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 1249