Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392662 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #8325 on: October 22, 2016, 08:28:43 pm »

Sharing cat .gifs wouldn't be implausible. Which is nice. One of the few upsides of this election.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8326 on: October 22, 2016, 08:35:12 pm »

All I'm doing is expressing an opinion about his views.

That's the thing, you weren't. Saying "[person] is deplorable" is explicitly different from "[person's] opinion/argument/perspective is deplorable". The first is attacking the person, the second is attacking the idea. The former is not only more hateful and polarizing but also less productive. If your goal is to convince someone (or observers) that their belief is unethical or whatever, lambasting them for being a bad person doesn't do anything but put their back up against a wall-it certainly doesn't make them more likely to change their mind.

This is exactly what's fueling the feedback loop between the alt-right and regressive left, each is busy labeling each other (and anyone who dares to disagree with them) as being basically Hitler, rather than addressing harmful ideas or opinions. It's a tactic designed to shut down dissent and otherize people, to create clear divisions between the Good People (i.e. "us") and the Bad People (i.e. "them") rather than eliminating genuinely harmful behaviors.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8327 on: October 22, 2016, 08:44:38 pm »

All I'm doing is expressing an opinion about his views.

That's the thing, you weren't. Saying "[person] is deplorable" is explicitly different from "[person's] opinion/argument/perspective is deplorable". The first is attacking the person, the second is attacking the idea. The former is not only more hateful and polarizing but also less productive. If your goal is to convince someone (or observers) that their belief is unethical or whatever, lambasting them for being a bad person doesn't do anything but put their back up against a wall-it certainly doesn't make them more likely to change their mind.

This is exactly what's fueling the feedback loop between the alt-right and regressive left, each is busy labeling each other (and anyone who dares to disagree with them) as being basically Hitler, rather than addressing harmful ideas or opinions. It's a tactic designed to shut down dissent and otherize people, to create clear divisions between the Good People (i.e. "us") and the Bad People (i.e. "them") rather than eliminating genuinely harmful behaviors.

Regressive (Left)? Hey come on now.....

I've never heard of the term 'regressive left' though, that sounds as oxymoroningitily as a righting-left, or something. So, who are they?

Though yeah, that's been the current state of affairs between the Democrats and Republicans, more or less calling each other 'literally hitler'.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:46:28 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8328 on: October 22, 2016, 08:46:21 pm »

regressive left

omg you INSULTED ME

Appologize now!  How dare you!  The super civility of this forum has been destroyed!1!1!!!!111!

(Btw, sorry if you were trying to make a point.  But you see, you committed the absolutely unforgivable sin of making a negative statement about someone in this thread.  So I dont care about anything else.

It's really sad that you couldn't open up a productive dialogue.  Really everything that has happened her is your fault for not opening up a productive dialogue.)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:49:11 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8329 on: October 22, 2016, 08:53:07 pm »

regressive left

omg you INSULTED ME

Appologize now!  How dare you!  The super civility of this forum has been destroyed!1!1!!!!111!

(Btw, sorry if you were trying to make a point.  But you see, you committed the absolutely unforgivable sin of making a negative statement about someone in this thread.  So I dont care about anything else.

It's really sad that you couldn't open up a productive dialogue.  Really everything that has happened her is your fault for not opening up a productive dialogue.)

Didn't sound like FD was aiming it at anybody in particular (or even at a forum member at all), just the far-right and far-left wings in general.

I was just going 'Regressive Left? The heck are you talking about, you aren't making any sense'.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:55:31 pm by smjjames »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8330 on: October 22, 2016, 08:55:10 pm »

What evidence would you need to make the accusations not baseless? Just wondering here.
Video/audio records, witnesses, or DNA evidence are the commonly accepted forms of evidence. And yeah, that sucks for people who are caught alone with sexual assaulters who are clever enough to avoid recording devices and wear a condom.
Those are sufficient for a conviction generally, applying THAT standard to someone being fondled and grabbed and whatnot before they can speak out about it is fucked up.

Plus how do you know Trump doesn't wear a condom all the time?

I'm gonna need you to prove that he doesn't before you can dismiss his accusers offhand, because the only thing better than insulting someone for using a double-standard is applying one to their arguments!
some vindictive person will feel slighted by something you've done and make an unfounded accusation
Like Trump talking about pursuing legal action against women saying he sexually assaulted them, oh wait, him saying they're slandering him isn't unfounded because... he's got more money? A wang (supposedly) perhaps?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8331 on: October 22, 2016, 08:59:25 pm »

And they're off! Tonight's salt races are sponsored by Mishbond, the only male deodorant guaranteed to work exactly 50% of the time. (MSH LLC is not responsible for macro-scale quantum effects caused by the use of Mishbond)

In the cherry corner, we have maniac. Economic major and establishment liberal, maniac supports smacking down the intolerant in the streets and on the net to achieve egalitarian society. He has more salt races on record than any other Bay Watcher, and is famed for his aggressive stance towards all comers.

In the grape corner, we have Flying Dice. Yam aficionado and countercultural independent, Flying Dice supports having bigots and malcontents immune to the power of the state and cultural ostracism in order to achieve an egalitarian society. Well known for opposing all sedentary political rhetoric, and has tussled with maniac before.

It's a beautiful evening here in Daytona Beach as we bear witness to another dance with the devil. Will one of the racers expose a critical flaw in the beliefs of the other? Will the entire thing fizzle out as sleep claims the audience? Will we see the heart-stopping appearance of the Toad Above? Anything can happen, and the stakes have never been higher.

[This program dedicated to the loss of King Shitlord OrangeWizard, cut down in his saltine years of plenty.]
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8332 on: October 22, 2016, 09:03:14 pm »

him saying they're slandering him isn't unfounded because... he's got more money? A wang (supposedly) perhaps?

Fan base?

snip

This is a salt engraving.  All craftshumanship of the highest quality.  It is encrusted with saltstone.

(but you forgot Folly :()
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8333 on: October 22, 2016, 09:05:43 pm »

Folly is the one dad who had the courage to smuggle three full coolers of alcohol into the stands, one PBR, one Corona, and one....Strawberry-Lime Margarita-In-A-Can...?

Ew.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8334 on: October 22, 2016, 09:05:55 pm »

Unfortunately the beautiful day in daytona beach thing breaks the immersion.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8335 on: October 22, 2016, 09:08:08 pm »

You live in Daytonia Beach? Don't see how it breaks the immersion though.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8336 on: October 22, 2016, 09:08:42 pm »

It really does, never been such a thing, never will be.

I did read that all in my announcer voice for the missus though, with zero explanation, and she chuckled, so well done.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8337 on: October 22, 2016, 09:11:29 pm »

You live in Daytonia Beach? Don't see how it breaks the immersion though.
Nah. I've been to most parts of the state at one point or another, though, even if only briefly. The only place worse than north florida, weather wise, is everything south of it.
Ask not!
Ask!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8338 on: October 22, 2016, 09:12:56 pm »

I did read that all in my announcer voice for the missus though, with zero explanation, and she chuckled, so well done.

You have a very special woman there.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8339 on: October 22, 2016, 09:38:55 pm »

Does anyone have an explanation for the clips where Clinton staffers show their phones to reporters, seemingly feeding them questions?
It happens here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDA_liuy0-o

(She also ends the interview when a Wikileaks thing comes up, but that's fine by me at this point.  Wikileaks in unrepentantly biased, and there's no real reason to trust them.)

How do you know that's what the staffer was doing? You can't even see what was on the screen, yes he showed something, but we don't know what.
I'm not sure what else they'd be doing (which is why I'm asking, I don't want it to be what it looks like).
Isn't it weird that the staffer does this while Hillary is talking?  And then that reporter happens to ask a serious softball question, which gets chosen for an answer.

Sure it could be something else, I just don't know what.  I think it looks fishy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 1249