Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392738 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7455 on: October 17, 2016, 04:23:07 pm »

And what are the chances someone is just false flagging?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: October 17, 2016, 04:23:16 pm »

someone has to start shooting for everyone else to keep shooting

That said, I still think this is an isolated event. It's hard to assume that anything will follow this, but damn it feels like a breath of toxic, smoke-tainted, but still new air.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: October 17, 2016, 04:26:28 pm »

I think that violence is a lot less likely then Trump starting a channel on cable TV.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: October 17, 2016, 04:26:45 pm »

Really? Violence against government workers and destruction of state property?

Because I just remember fist-to-face type stuff from rallies, nothing to the scale of this.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: October 17, 2016, 04:31:32 pm »

To be fair, we hear this shit every year.

"If so and so gets elected, there will be a revolution let me tell ya!"

Or the usual much weaker, commonly asserted left leaning declaration:

"If so and so gets elected, I'm taking my family to Canada!"

I predict the post election fall out will take much longer and be more of a headache than we've experienced before, regardless of who wins. But I doubt it will come to violent demonstrations. (At least if Hilary wins...)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:50:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: October 17, 2016, 04:32:06 pm »

Non-zero? That's about the best anyone can say at the mo, so far as I'm aware. It's also possible it's intra-party conflict, or just someone that really doesn't like nazis or people who are supporting a candidate spewing at-times-pretty-literal nazi bullshit. Or just some random (possibly drunk) idiot. Won't know until/unless the perp's caught.

It does make me worried that the post-election will not be peaceful.
You and everyone else that's paid the least of attention. And molotov induced redecorating aside, we've already seen one bomb plot that was intended to happen the day after the election, stopped. Somewhat unsurprisingly, when a major candidate is encouraging violence and pulling material from extremists (up to and including nazi propaganda), folks get concerned.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: October 17, 2016, 04:32:15 pm »

Hard to say. Here's what I posted yesterday:

Not Florida. Orange County, NC. Specifically Hillsborough.
Like, five minutes from my house.

And before anybody even *thinks* it, no it wasn't me.
Drove by there this afternoon, and the damage looked pretty minor from the outside. The Republican Party HQ is in the back corner of an old strip mall, so it's not particularly visible from the main road.

News crews were out there, and i'm sure the local Republicritters were milking it for all they're worth. Thing is, this doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. Orange County is pretty much the bluest county in the state, even more so than Durham. You almost feel sorry for the local Republicans because they're such a minority. And there's not much they can do to make inroads, considering the three largest population centers are an artists' colony, a writers' colony and a preeminent liberals arts university (with emphasis on the "liberal").

Not saying that it was false-flag, because I could certainly see some kid(s) from UNC with more balls than brains thinking they'd strike "a blow against fascism" by going all street revolution on the local GOP office in the middle of the night, but seriously.....in this case, it's like beating up a cripple.

So yeah...do I think some kids from UNC or Durham or hell, even just bored teens in Hillsborough could have done this? Yes.
Do I think it could have been a false-flag? Yes. If you're going to torch one of your own offices, why not the one you're getting the least traction out of? Like I said, being a Republican in this county means being an endangered species (though usually not in the sense of literally being in danger).

There's no security cameras anywhere around there (that strip mall dates back to the 1950's) and even the timeframe they have is 12 hours (9pm Friday to 9am Saturday). So who knows if they'll ever find much in the way of leads.

EDIT: Weirdly enough, one of the investigators' best leads might come from Pokemon Go. The mall is kind of a sprawling complex of antique shops, a blacksmith, and the GOP HQ (I'm guessing the theme is "things old, white people like"). I know for a fact that about 200 feet away there's a cluster of four Pokestops, and so every night (especially weekends) there's a cluster of Pokemon Go players who come hang out in the parking lot, slap lures on the stops and collect to their hearts' content. It's kind of on the other side of a slight ridge from the HQ, so they might not have *seen* anything, but they might have heard something or noticed something odd...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:38:11 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: October 17, 2016, 04:34:13 pm »

If there aren't any republicans nearby then it probably isn't false flag.  Radicals generally strike targets near to themselves.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7463 on: October 17, 2016, 04:36:27 pm »

I don't think so. There are definitely stupid liberals.

And I've seen Trumpets claiming that everything stupid they do is a false flag, and it isn't flattering.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: October 17, 2016, 04:38:30 pm »

To be fair, we here this shit every year.

"If so and so gets elected, there will be a resolution let me tell ya!"

I predict the post election fall out will take much longer and be more of a headache than we've experienced before, regardless of who wins. But I doubt it will come to violent demonstrations. (At least if Hilary wins...)
The difference is that usually the losing candidate makes a concession speech where they tell their supporters to accept the result. Trump is already saying that the election will be rigged and all but calling for violence.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: October 17, 2016, 04:40:51 pm »

Trump will give the best concession speech, absolutely the classiest.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: October 17, 2016, 04:47:42 pm »

the concession speech just got 10 minutes longer boys

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: October 17, 2016, 04:48:55 pm »

EDIT: Weirdly enough, one of the investigators' best leads might come from Pokemon Go. ...  there's a cluster of Pokemon Go players who come hang out in the parking lot,
Are they political?  PokemonGOParty? ;)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: October 17, 2016, 04:49:27 pm »

True, there's going to be some people letting off steam, but we haven't had anybody the likes of Trump actively feeding the bonfire and poking the hydra-bear.

Pretty sure even Barry Goldwater and George Wallace, both firebrands, didn't resort to the kind of rhetoric that Trump did as far as the election being rigged and implying/encouraging violence should they lose the election.

"If so and so gets elected, there will be a resolution let me tell ya!"

The difference is that usually the losing candidate makes a concession speech where they tell their supporters to accept the result. Trump is already saying that the election will be rigged and all but calling for violence.

His running mate however has said that they'll respect the results, but um, yeah, not the first time that he and Trump have said completely opposite things.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: October 17, 2016, 04:50:51 pm »

I was just looking at some Trump products, and looked up the Trump board game. 3-4 players, who are given $500 million starting capital each, have a chance to become billionaires. Actually when you think about it, that's a pretty realistic statement of your chance of becoming a billionaire in real life.
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 1249