Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393215 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7290 on: October 16, 2016, 06:44:26 pm »

Sure that's what it should be, agreed.

Yet this scenario happens a lot:
"Y got accused of rape by X!"
"That's terrible!  What's the evidence?"
"You're accusing X of lying!  You're blaming the victim!"

Dramatized for the point.  But it just seems similar to:
"Y got accused of burning down X's building!"
"Maybe X burned down their own building to make Y look bad!!"

Heck the second example seems like a much clearer example.

Rape victims face social backlash. That is why there is why there is a whole thing. It isn't in a vacuum.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: October 16, 2016, 06:46:31 pm »

Rape victims face social backlash. That is why there is why there is a whole thing. It isn't in a vacuum.

As do the accused!

One of the many reasons why I support a media blackout bill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: October 16, 2016, 06:46:55 pm »

If you're personally connected with a rape victim, you should probably offer them your support and not be overly critical of their claims unless there's a clear reason to be (or you're their lawyer). The general public and the courts, however, are perfectly justified in examining claims of criminal behavior from a more objective position.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: October 16, 2016, 06:48:32 pm »

If you're personally connected with a rape victim, you should probably offer them your support and not be overly critical of their claims unless there's a clear reason to be (or you're their lawyer). The general public and the courts, however, are perfectly justified in examining claims of criminal behavior from a more objective position.

It is a pretty jerk thing to do for someone who cry to you about something someone did... and for you to lecture them about what they done that could have possibly brought it on them.

Well... Ok... I guess if you are trying to mediate for them.

It is a typical guy thing to try to fix a problem that someone is talking to you about. Which causes contention between the sexes as quite often the woman isn't seeking any sort of aid...
-And WHY OHH WHY this is considered sexist is beyond me... (not that believing this TENDS to be the case is sexist... But that a guy offering advice is being sexist towards women to vent on him)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 06:50:12 pm by Neonivek »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: October 16, 2016, 06:50:05 pm »

As do the accused!

Shit shit, sherlock.  The thing is that rape is massively underreported in this country because a bunch of horrible people mistreat victims.  That's why it's a thing.

One of the many reasons why I support a media blackout bill.

That is like one case in ten thousand.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: October 16, 2016, 06:51:31 pm »

That is like one case in ten thousand.

A lot more common then you think...

The most common way is through misidentification.

Intentionally accusing an innocent person... Yeah is a lot more uncommon.

The thing is that rape is massively underreported in this country because a bunch of horrible people mistreat victims

The media blackout protects both parties. It isn't meant to protect only the accused.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 06:53:45 pm by Neonivek »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: October 16, 2016, 06:53:58 pm »

Media covering of rape cases is more common then I think?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: October 16, 2016, 06:55:16 pm »

This

Also I'm sorry, dammit, I really didn't want to open a can of worms.  Please, take it somewhere else like the gender thread I guess?  ):
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: October 16, 2016, 06:55:58 pm »

Media covering of rape cases is more common then I think?

Huh, I think we are on two different pages. Nevermind then... This is a bit of an uncomfortable subject to want to rail back on it.

---

I do though honestly believe the reason why SOME of the trump controversy is coming out now is specifically because it is the voting period.

Not that it is fabricated, possibly it was saved up.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: October 16, 2016, 06:56:58 pm »

Even though it's one in ten thousand, it is kind of a continuous harm. Now that memes rule the world it's not only public figures who stand a shot at being selected for media victimization, but any random on a slow news day or that had some notable element to it all. I don't think it would do any harm to only let private citizen cases be reported on after the fact, or require them to issue a story about the verdict if they run one about the trial, or something like that.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: October 16, 2016, 06:58:19 pm »

I do though honestly believe the reason why SOME of the trump controversy is coming out now is specifically because it is the voting period.

Of course it's coming out in the voting period.  When you are running for president, people start looking for your skeletons that they might not have cared about before.

The women accusing Trump are now facing death threats to themselves and their families.  They aren't "saving up" by not volunteering for that treatment sooner.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:00:24 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: October 16, 2016, 07:01:37 pm »

Has to do a fair bit with people actually caring about the guy for once. That, and the POTUS kinda' has a higher set of standards they're held to than some incompetent scumbag millionaire. As ninja'd, eh.

But yeah, there would have been material saved up. SOP for opposition-type research, and part of the reason you don't just infodump everything in one go, most of the time. If you use up everything you don't have something new to drop when people are starting to forget the last batch happened, or for if whoever you've got the material on tries to run again in a cycle or three.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: October 16, 2016, 07:04:35 pm »

I wonder when Trump will declare bankruptcy again...

I mean he is up for another.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: October 16, 2016, 07:05:39 pm »

I wonder when Trump will declare bankruptcy again...

I mean he is up for another.
THE AUDIT ISN'T DONE

HE CAN'T DECLARE BANKRUPTCY UNTIL THE AUDIT IS DONE

THE AUDIT

THE AUDI FUCKING IRS

AAUDDDI
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: October 16, 2016, 07:06:03 pm »

Heehee

Of course it's coming out in the voting period.  When you are running for president, people start looking for your skeletons that they might not have cared about before.
Not to mention that he's relatively untested, because he hasn't been - no, he *isn't* a politician.  Ben Carson isn't either.  I think everyone else involved has practical experience, and the long-term vetting and attempted mud-digging that comes from being in office.

The women accusing Trump are now facing death threats to themselves and their families.  They aren't "saving up" by not volunteering for that treatment sooner.
That happens when you say literally anything that reaches national news...  They have a lot of powerful people protecting them, too.
It does mean a change in their lives, though.  Celebrity status and becoming targets.  Is it worth it?  If we had a trustworthy judicial system, they wouldn't have to take the chance just to expose his alleged crimes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 1249