Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388784 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5955 on: October 07, 2016, 07:02:29 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/07/politics/donald-trump-women-vulgar/index.html

Well this so far tops the charts for Donald Trump vulgarity and attitude toward women.

Chances that it will have any effect on his base: minimal.

I gotta say. I'm impressed with the mass amounts of dirt the media has been able to dig up on past Trump. Playboy videos 20 years old, unpublished hot mic gaffes and what not from 5 years ago.....apparently the media IS capable of digging as long as their target is loud, large and orange.
The neat thing is that some of the news folks that are running that story are apparently saying they're actually going to be publishing worse in the near future. Things look like they're just getting started, ahaha.

There's nothing quite like a character assassination that's pulled off by the one you're wrecking. I'd call it character suicide, but this is more like character getting-drunk-and-drowning-in-a-ditch.
So the media is ruining their "we're incompetent" excuse in order to ruin the Donald campaign?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5956 on: October 07, 2016, 07:06:49 pm »

While the Trump campaign has been pretty low-key on this hurricane, unlike Trump and Hurricane Sandy, Matt Drudge has taken up the mantle of "insane hurricane conspiracy theorist".

Matt Drudge, the founder of news aggregator Drudge Report, tweeted that the “deplorables” were beginning to wonder if the “exaggerated” government response was to make a point on climate change. It’s in reference to the derogatory way Hillary Clinton described Trump supporters recently as a “basket of deplorables”.

He followed it up with a note that the Hurricane Centre had a “monopoly on data” and that claims of windgusts were unverified in tweets that have gone viral.

Tweet: "Hurricane Center has monopoly on data. No way of verifying claims. Nassau ground observations DID NOT match statements! 165mph gusts? WHERE?"

People have pointed out that this kind of conspiracy theory actually kills people, since it's often difficult to get people to take evacuation warnings seriously.

To be fair, it only kills people who listen to the Drudge Report.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: October 07, 2016, 07:07:44 pm »

So the media is ruining their "we're incompetent" excuse in order to ruin the Donald campaign?
It's looking more like they just didn't need competence, really.

Not sure which one is/was using incompetence as some sort of excuse, though. It's certainly odd none of this came up during the primaries, but *shrugs*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: October 07, 2016, 07:12:17 pm »

I feel special that in MSH's map, Nebraska is the only one with a totally factual interpretation.

Damn we are boring.

"some conservatives would applaud that"

Mmm, there's the love of power but there's also class. The kind of person that sort of speech resonates with is the ultra rich and/or dictators. There are no family values there. There are no economic values there. There are no religious values there. There's just raw lechery, arrogance and hubris. Even though some may secretly identify with it, I highly doubt even upper class Conservative and Republican white males can stand by that. His own campaign staffers are literally talking to CNN anonymously going "OMG OMG." The only people who might high five this is like Sheldon Adelson, and even he knows this shit is toxic when it's out in public.

The neat thing is that some of the news folks that are running that story are apparently saying they're actually going to be publishing worse in the near future. Things look like they're just getting started, ahaha.

There's nothing quite like a character assassination that's pulled off by the one you're wrecking. I'd call it character suicide, but this is more like character getting-drunk-and-drowning-in-a-ditch.

To be honest it would be a troubling sign of hyper-partisanship from the major media sources if it weren't for the fact it's all true and horrifying. Still, the Hilary campaign gets to stay above the muck and let the media do all the raking for her. No doubt a lot of this was sourced from her own campaign researchers. Anyways if there's worse to come....like, how much worse? Criminal worse? Because the time for that would have been a while ago I think.

Rarely is it ever about true incompetence. It's about what management says is important, the time they're given and what gets clicks. The media are all over this because it checks all the boxes.

And to be fair, at least CNN has done a lot of surface reporting on Trump as a business man too, which, big picture here, is at the root of his campaign support and possibly the biggest risk he poses to this country if elected.

But yeah. I suppose when one man has been the focus of entire media organizations for a solid year and a half, they're bound to finally do something that looks like journalism. It still does beg the question of "why now? Why not before?" Maybe the answer is that media is punishing Trump in a personal way that isn't politics, it's show business.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: October 07, 2016, 07:15:55 pm »

How dare you, my interpretation of True Carolina is every bit as factual.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: October 07, 2016, 07:50:09 pm »

Would you be happier with 'reality has a reactionary alt-right bias', Loud?
Where'd you get that from?

"Reality has a well-known Liberal bias" - Stephen Colbert.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:54:46 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: October 07, 2016, 07:50:43 pm »

"why now? Why not before?"

I think that they didn't realize until he was even in the polls that he was an actual presidential candidate who actually might be running the country.  They started treating this stuff like the way any serious candidate should be treated not just Donald being Donald.

Although he did piss them off with the hotel advertisement press conference.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: October 07, 2016, 07:52:39 pm »

Would you be happier with 'reality has a reactionary alt-right bias', Loud?
Where'd you get that from?
It's based on a snarky old joke. Right-wingers say "the media has a liberal bias", left-wingers say "reality has a liberal bias".

The honest truth is that reality has a realistic bias. If you're going around trumpeting inane bullshit you're inevitably going to run into the wall of rationality telling you to cut that shit out, regardless of what particular mold your crazy is stamped in.

That's what happened to the regressive left. They were chugging along to the tune of "Censorship - Progressive! Free Speech - Fascist! Bigotry - Progressive, but only when it favors us! Bigotry - Fascist, but only when it disfavors us! Atheism - Fascist and Racist, but only when attacking Islam! Atheism - Progressive, but only when men aren't involved and attacking Christianity!" and so on. Then they steamed right into the coastal batteries of the Right, and the far-right nutjob broken clock managed to tell the correct time for once, so they came under serious fire instead of more Lolbertarians and Stormfuck morons pissing in the wind. Shortly after, progressives started noticing the dogmatic authoritarian fuckwits working against social progress in their name, so now they've got a fleet sailing right up their arses sailing the flag of egalitarianism.

Yeah, the two sides might despise each other too, but right now they've got a common enemy stuck between them, if you'll excuse the rather tortured analogy. And as soon as the loonies on the left loose traction, the loonies on the right will run out of ammunition and the moderate conservatives will remember that calling for race war and outlawing homosexuality doesn't win elections any more.

It's gonna be a shitty decade, but as long as the badwrong thoughtcrime laws and attacks on free speech don't become too deeply entrenched (and nobody starts a serious armed revolt) the seething majority of people who want to be left the hell alone will eventually shed all of the ideologues Othering like it's 1932. Remember, if you're not with us, you're an evil Nazi scumbag terrorist hatemonger trying to destroy American society.

Or, y'know, the regressive left manages to do to progressivism in the U.S. what the Libertarian party did to libertarianism. In which case, HELLOOOOO GILDED AGE Mk.II! Enjoy being paid in oh-so-efficient company scrip, and make sure to praise Smith for the privilege of being killed by National Guard strikebreakers!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: October 07, 2016, 07:56:26 pm »

Not just the media. Right-wingers have accused literally everthing of having liberal bias. Distributive Algebra. Theory of Relativity. One indoctrinates kids into redistribution, the other, moral relativism. These are real examples btw. That's not even getting into how The Muppets or The LEGO Movie teach communism or any of those other claims.

This is Poe's law at work. When almost the entirety of science, maths and culture are being accused of indoctrinating the youth into liberalism, then "reality has a well-known liberal bias" ceases to be a gag, and becomes a fair assessment of the conservative fringe's worldview.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:00:43 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: October 07, 2016, 07:58:46 pm »

Wall Street Speeches just got leaked.

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: October 07, 2016, 08:17:33 pm »

THE END TIMES IS NIGH! THE END TIMES IS....

...rather underwhelming. Huh. I was expecting devastating revelations, and got speech excerpts from a career moderate instead. Link here, for people who want to read 'em. I just gave it a quick skim and there's not a lot there.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: October 07, 2016, 08:23:51 pm »

Yeah, probably them just leaking anything that can fit the label.  Which probably would have flown a couple months ago but the conversation has moved on a bit.

Heck maybe they just took one of the more obscure transcripts that were already public and called it a leak.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: October 07, 2016, 08:27:16 pm »

Politico noted that the Wikileaks disclosures came right after the Trump disclosures from the Washington Post. Most interesting.

The phrase I've been hearing is "Caps off a disastrous two weeks for Trump's campaign", and I think that that's accurate.

To what surprise that wikileaks leaks a thing that no one really cares about.

Starting to think that their only purpose is to try to get attention by touting around the "super-sekret files" they have that end up being ineffective.
If they have such super important files, and they are willing to just literally publish whatever without redacting names or anything, why not just publish everything as soon as they get it? That's fishy just on its own.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: October 07, 2016, 08:31:39 pm »

... considering about the only legs the speeches seem to have is that they're leaked...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: October 07, 2016, 08:32:57 pm »

Clinton calling for free trade and movement in the western hemisphere probably wont help her in Ohio and Arizona.  Shouldn't make a huge difference in the other swing states although it'll probably cost her a vote in North Carolina.

But hey, single payer polls well everywhere.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 1249